Wii outsells PS3 5 to 1

Thundercun7

Banned
Jun 4, 2007
Wii Online Code
6847-9373-0836-0292
Nintendo's Wii Widens Lead Over Sony's PS3 in Japan in May

By Pavel Alpeyev

June 4 (Bloomberg) -- Nintendo Co., the world's third- biggest maker of video-game players, widened its lead in Japan last month after its Wii consoles and DS portable players outsold products from Sony Corp., a research firm said.

Nintendo sold 251,794 of its newest game machines in May, outselling Sony's PlayStation 3 consoles five to one, Tokyo- based research firm Enterbrain Inc. said today in a faxed statement. The PS3 trailed the Wii by four to one in April.

The PS3, equipped with the industry's most powerful gaming chip, is falling further behind the cheaper Wii, undermining Sony's ability to recoup investments into the machine. Kyoto, Japan-based Nintendo has forecast sales of the new consoles, where gamers swing motion-sensor controllers to play games such as bowling and tennis, will triple this fiscal year.

Microsoft Corp.'s game-player sales trailed Sony's in Japan last month, with the U.S. company selling 11,082 of its Xbox 360 machines, the Enterbrain report said.

Nintendo's handheld DS player outsold Sony's PlayStation Portable five to one in May, Enterbrain said. The company sold 620,670 of the touch-screen players, compared with 123,673 PSPs.

Source

I thought Wii was outselling PS3 7 to 1 in Japan recently although that may have bee for just one week. Anywho go Wii.

Sony is going to get ***** slapped by Wii and 360 this fall. One word, one number.....Halo...3. Galaxy, Brawl, and Prime. THE END

5 to 1 for the month of may in Japan, not bad. I am interested in seeing the US numbers

Last edited:
this is great news! the ps3 had so much hype going into launch, and the wii has thought as to some people as just a "toy". but now the underdog is winning this battle.:lol:

TortillaChip520 said:
but doesnt the ps3 outprice the wii 5 to 1???

slightly more than 2 to 1, depending on where you live.

To sell so many units, the games have been disappointing so far. I know they will get better (I hope). You would think there would be better games since they have sold so many systems.

but doesnt the ps3 outprice the wii 5 to 1???

Yeah but the point is the Wii is designed to sell for a profit where the PS3 sells for the loss meaning bad times for Sony.

Its only a matter of time before the PS3 guys see this thread and come here in force, to assault you with their "technical specs" and talk about the ps3s "amazing processing power"... Run! Run whilst you still can!

I would like to hope that this trend continues, but I think once Metal Gear Solid and Grand Theft Auto 4 are released, and when the PS3 prices drop significantly, this trend will die. Unless, of course, the price of the Wii drops, and if the Wii continues to release totally awesome games.

Back