Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Wii Sports bowling EXPOSED!

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Gaming' started by thendis, Jan 16, 2007.

1. thendis

thendis WiiChat Member

I've always been a big fan on Wii Sports bowling, but tonight I happened to stumble upon something that frankly makes me mad.

So here's a scenario. you have to pick up a spare; there is 1 pin left, at the far right. You shift your player to the centre of the lane, then you bowl the bowl, making sure to skillfully twist your hand a little to the right to spin the ball and get that last pin.

Well unfortunately, I've come to realise skill has little to do with it.

Try this at home:
    Get into the same position as described above, with 1 pin at the far right (or left). Now, bowl your ball but instead of twisting your wrist to the right in order to spin in towards the pin, twist your wrist to the left, in an attempt to make a gutterball at the opposite end of the track.

IT DOESN"T WORK! The ball still spins to the right, towards the pin!

Therefore, either twisting your wrist does absolutely nothing, or Wii sports helps you ensure your shot is always on -- or near -- target.

If we're to believe the Wii controller is everything it's supposed to be, this sort of thing should not be necessary.

I'm not trolling, I've been a big fan of the wii and still believe it has great potential, but this sort of thing is what is going to give it a bad name.

2. mk_south_london

mk_south_london !SUPERMOD! *blu mushroom*

Wii Friend Code: 7195-7874-4951-1917
    7195-7874-4951-1917
    doesnt it have difficulty settings?

3. ImageFX

ImageFX WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 7272-1660-6088-7760
    7272-1660-6088-7760
    Hmm...maybe I'll have to try. BUT!!!....When the 10 pin is up, I don't bowl backwards like you are saying. I try to make bowling as realistic as possible. So instead of turning my wrist the opposite direction (which i wouldn't do in real bowling), I just line up to the left, turn my position to the right as if to aim somewhat toward the gutter, and then curve the ball back to where it is riding the gutter to pick up the 10 pin.

4. Cartman58

Cartman58 WiiChat Member

I would have to say that may be a controller problem for you. My girlfriend twists it to the left and gets those pins everytime. It never curves to the right when it's supposed to go left. She puts the remote in her left hand and curls it and it works perfectly everytime. I make fun of her for it ofcourse but I think you should re-test your theory with possibly another controller.

5. Gaz

Gaz Poker Face :D

Wii Friend Code: 2042-8451-0487-7303
    2042-8451-0487-7303
    happens to me as well, but when my friends use the same controller, it doesn't happen to them.

6. imae

imae yeah.

Wii Friend Code: 7201-6951-4346-4914
    7201-6951-4346-4914
    its better to think of it as twisting the controller instead of your wrist. look at how straight the wii-mote is wen u try to throw a straight ball.. natural tendencies mean you'll hold the wii-mote slightly twisted left(twisted right if your left handed) without really realising it.

otherwise sound like u gots a wii(mote) problem >_>

7. thendis

thendis WiiChat Member

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I know it never curves to the right when it's supposed to go left -- that's my point. Wii Sports bowling registers that in order to make the shot you need to spin it to the left, and makes sure that this happens. Even if you purposely try to spin it in the wrong direction, it will always spin in the right direction.

It's not a controller issue. Try it yourself.

It's not a wiimote problem. If it were, it would always spin to the left or right. It only spins to the left when it needs to spin to the left to get the pins, and vice versa. I understand the natural tendencies but I'm purposely, conciously making exaggerated effort to spin it in left when it should go right (or right when it should go left), and it will not.

Please try it youself if you don't believe me. Get into a position where you need to spin it in a particular direction, then try to spin it in the oppposite direction. It will not work.

EDIT: you replied as I was editing this msg, see below :)

#7 thendis, Jan 16, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  8. imae

imae yeah.

Wii Friend Code: 7201-6951-4346-4914
    7201-6951-4346-4914
    ohh i see what u mean now. cant say iv noticed it myself, but why woul dyou want to spin in the wrong direction? ^^

9. Bato Vukovic

Bato Vukovic WiiChat Member

For each Wii Sports game you choose if you are right handed or left handed.

In the real world, if you bowl with your right hand, you can NOT! spin the bowling ball towards the left, you would break your wrist....

Think about it????

bye.

10. Samster

Samster Slave to the Wind

I understand what you're saying Thendis - effectively the program flatters the player. I'll try your scenario myself, if this does happen then it's poor.

11. Samster

Samster Slave to the Wind

Hey Bato - I think you've got your statement the wrong way round!

12. packfnz

packfnz WiiChat Member

That's absouletly incorrect, I can do it quite easily. It's called a backup ball and is a quite effective way to pick up splits where the furthest pin forward is on the left part of the lane.

13. daaznmofo

daaznmofo WiiChat Member

i'm right handed, and hook on the left side in real life. so its not impossible.

14. acphydro

acphydro Wii & DFI

Wii Friend Code: 7791-8243-5459-4780
    7791-8243-5459-4780
    I have never noticed this. I can think of a few times when the ball went the complete opposite way I intended it to go and ended up spinning right into the gutter. Not that I'm saying you are lying, but it hasn't always gone towards the pin for me.

15. Solard

Solard WiiChat Member

now thinking abouti it, if your right handed, you cant turn to the right, try it. i dont think anyone plans to consistantly throw bowling balls over hand? but maybe if you put a spin on it some way... if yuo tried hard enoug, you cal probably bowl that way... (and doesn't it have to do wiht the position you are in, ie if you are aim for the right gutter, and are wayyy in the left of the bowling lane and you put a left spin on it, it obviously want gutter ball? is that what you are saying cause that doesn't seem right for some reason....:incazzato: (i love that image!!)

16. Borch712ers

Borch712ers Deleted

Exactly! This is not the Wii making sure that you get a spare, that would be completely rediculous, and your right, it would give the wii a bad name. This is simply because of whether your Mii is left or right handed. If its right handed EVERY SINGLE SHOT fades slightly to the right, and vice-versa. Simply becuase, as Bato already stated, it is nearly impossible to put opposite spin on the ball. So, instead of your statement of being imprecise, you can now realize that the wii is more precise than you ever imagined.

17. leomon

leomon WiiChat Member

Here is your answer

HERE IS YOUR ANSWER

It has nothing to do with the wii remote. The problem is the way you are bowling. Twisting the controller is not neccecary, the biggest factor is the direction you natrually lean toward, as the controller natrually detects this.

forget twisting the controller, curve your whole bowl in the direction you want.

18. PersianCowboy

PersianCowboy WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 6258-4013-0776-5311
    6258-4013-0776-5311
    To be more realistic.

19. wiifreak9292

wiifreak9292 Banned

Wii Friend Code: 6893-8478-5967-8729
    6893-8478-5967-8729
    i'm right handed and my ball spins to the left.

20. thendis

thendis WiiChat Member

people are being rather defensive about this. Please try to be a little objective here. I know you love your wii, as do I, but, as PersianCowboy says, Wii sports should be more realistic than this.

I'm not asking people if this is what happens, it IS what happens, so please stop trying to convince me that it's the fault of my wii remote or my technique -- it is not. I was hoping for a mature discussion about the wii, and how this sort of thing is what wii bashers use against the system. Do people think this is a limitation of the controller, or nintendo making sure wii sports is as pickup and play as possible?

for me personally, this discovery has lost some of the magic from the system. It's like when you play a split screen racing game, only you mistakenly look at your opponent's screen instead of yours. But you don't realise straight away that you are not controlling the car, because your opponent presses the same buttons you do at the same time. This is a similar scenario, wii sports is controlling things you think you're controlling yourself, but you don't notice it because that is what you were trying to do anyway.

#20 thendis, Jan 16, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2007