Wii Sports bowling EXPOSED!

thendis

WiiChat Member
Dec 13, 2006
I've always been a big fan on Wii Sports bowling, but tonight I happened to stumble upon something that frankly makes me mad.

So here's a scenario. you have to pick up a spare; there is 1 pin left, at the far right. You shift your player to the centre of the lane, then you bowl the bowl, making sure to skillfully twist your hand a little to the right to spin the ball and get that last pin.

Well unfortunately, I've come to realise skill has little to do with it.

Try this at home:
Get into the same position as described above, with 1 pin at the far right (or left). Now, bowl your ball but instead of twisting your wrist to the right in order to spin in towards the pin, twist your wrist to the left, in an attempt to make a gutterball at the opposite end of the track.

IT DOESN"T WORK! The ball still spins to the right, towards the pin!

Therefore, either twisting your wrist does absolutely nothing, or Wii sports helps you ensure your shot is always on -- or near -- target.

If we're to believe the Wii controller is everything it's supposed to be, this sort of thing should not be necessary.

I'm not trolling, I've been a big fan of the wii and still believe it has great potential, but this sort of thing is what is going to give it a bad name.

Hmm...maybe I'll have to try. BUT!!!....When the 10 pin is up, I don't bowl backwards like you are saying. I try to make bowling as realistic as possible. So instead of turning my wrist the opposite direction (which i wouldn't do in real bowling), I just line up to the left, turn my position to the right as if to aim somewhat toward the gutter, and then curve the ball back to where it is riding the gutter to pick up the 10 pin.

I would have to say that may be a controller problem for you. My girlfriend twists it to the left and gets those pins everytime. It never curves to the right when it's supposed to go left. She puts the remote in her left hand and curls it and it works perfectly everytime. I make fun of her for it ofcourse but I think you should re-test your theory with possibly another controller.

Cartman58 said:
I would have to say that may be a controller problem for you. My girlfriend twists it to the left and gets those pins everytime. It never curves to the right when it's supposed to go left. She puts the remote in her left hand and curls it and it works perfectly everytime. I make fun of her for it ofcourse but I think you should re-test your theory with possibly another controller.
happens to me as well, but when my friends use the same controller, it doesn't happen to them.

its better to think of it as twisting the controller instead of your wrist. look at how straight the wii-mote is wen u try to throw a straight ball.. natural tendencies mean you'll hold the wii-mote slightly twisted left(twisted right if your left handed) without really realising it.

otherwise sound like u gots a wii(mote) problem >_>

Cartman58 said:

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I know it never curves to the right when it's supposed to go left -- that's my point. Wii Sports bowling registers that in order to make the shot you need to spin it to the left, and makes sure that this happens. Even if you purposely try to spin it in the wrong direction, it will always spin in the right direction.

It's not a controller issue. Try it yourself.

imae said:
its better to think of it as twisting the controller instead of your wrist. look at how straight the wii-mote is wen u try to throw a straight ball.. natural tendencies mean you'll hold the wii-mote slightly twisted left(twisted right if your left handed) without really realising it.

otherwise sound like u gots a wii(mote) problem >_>

It's not a wiimote problem. If it were, it would always spin to the left or right. It only spins to the left when it needs to spin to the left to get the pins, and vice versa. I understand the natural tendencies but I'm purposely, conciously making exaggerated effort to spin it in left when it should go right (or right when it should go left), and it will not.

Please try it youself if you don't believe me. Get into a position where you need to spin it in a particular direction, then try to spin it in the oppposite direction. It will not work.

EDIT: you replied as I was editing this msg, see below :)

Last edited:
ohh i see what u mean now. cant say iv noticed it myself, but why woul dyou want to spin in the wrong direction? ^^

For each Wii Sports game you choose if you are right handed or left handed.

In the real world, if you bowl with your right hand, you can NOT! spin the bowling ball towards the left, you would break your wrist....

Think about it????

bye.

I understand what you're saying Thendis - effectively the program flatters the player. I'll try your scenario myself, if this does happen then it's poor.

Bato Vukovic said:
For each Wii Sports game you choose if you are right handed or left handed.

In the real world, if you bowl with your right hand, you can NOT! spin the bowling ball towards the left, you would break your wrist....

Think about it????

bye.
That's absouletly incorrect, I can do it quite easily. It's called a backup ball and is a quite effective way to pick up splits where the furthest pin forward is on the left part of the lane.

I have never noticed this. I can think of a few times when the ball went the complete opposite way I intended it to go and ended up spinning right into the gutter. Not that I'm saying you are lying, but it hasn't always gone towards the pin for me.

now thinking abouti it, if your right handed, you cant turn to the right, try it. i dont think anyone plans to consistantly throw bowling balls over hand? but maybe if you put a spin on it some way... if yuo tried hard enoug, you cal probably bowl that way... (and doesn't it have to do wiht the position you are in, ie if you are aim for the right gutter, and are wayyy in the left of the bowling lane and you put a left spin on it, it obviously want gutter ball? is that what you are saying cause that doesn't seem right for some reason....:incazzato: (i love that image!!)

Back