Wii Sports bowling EXPOSED!

yeaha maybe i was abit harsh but every thread in this forum seems the same, people start with one idea and defend it to the death for instance in the resident evil 4 better on gamecube or ps2 thread everyone took nintendos side (and though i agree) it just seemed like half of them never played the ps2 version at all.

i dunno just seems like a bunch of 12 year olds argueing. not that i mind too much its just hard to get real discussion.

just seems like a bunch of 12 year olds argueing

Ha! You have no idea!

There's a thread 'VC Hacked' really about copyright and downloading... etc, but it went into stupid arse things trying to prove a point... seriously, go have a look and laugh! I think it's still going on.

the whole spin idea does respond to how you bowl, but there is something it seems to register that no-one else has mentioned so far...

depending on where in your swing you actually release the ball.

(going on a right handed point of view)
think about real bowling, as you swing back, your arm/wrist would rotate 'out' or in the direction away from the body. as you then swing forward naturally your arm/wrist begins to rotate 'in' toward the body.

so if you are trying to get some spin left, it helps to release the ball later in your swing, where your arm would be more 'in' from the natural movement..

aiming straight it helps to release in mid-swing (when the remote would be pointing straight down)

so then to get some spin right, it helps if you release when your swing is 'back'

its hard to explain with just words and no demonstration, so hopefully the above makes sense

Its true, just tried it. If your right handed the ball spins to the left a bit. I know you can twist your wrist to the right to make it spin to the right but thats not the point. On your first shot aim to the left of the front pin and put spin on the ball (right to left) the ball will go in the other direction (left to right) towards the front pin. Still love bowling tho, so does my 5 year old son he's a pro and top score of 215.

Oh, there was this one lane in "picking up spares" that really pissed me off. I could beat it, but it kept me pissed. You have to get 3 pins, one farther back and away from the other two, so I spin it to hit the front pin at an angle to knock over near the farther pin and get it while the ball collects the other one. But IT ALWAYS SPINS TO THE LEFT! I even take it off my wrist and send it into a violent corkscrew right, but it still went to the left!

it's true guys, in the bowling game it can automatically adjust your spin without your input. Try it on your first throw of a normal bowling game, if you are right handed aim one dot to the left and put some left spin on it, which should equal a gutter ball... but it doesnt it goes the opposite direction.

I should know I love using spin, and the spin control training game is my favorite. I don't think this takes away from the game though, you have to purposely aim bad for it to go in effect. Nintendo probably put it in so little kids didnt get gutterballs everytime. But seriously, me and my friends get a strike or spare about every frame anyway, the autoaim doesnt really matter much to us.

And remember Wii Sports was a tech demo turned into a free game, don't expect too much from it. I'm sure when they release a stand alone bowling game it'll be so realistic you'll smell like beer and cigarette smoke after you are done playing. I'm sure you wont have to worry about the auto aim at all.

When I bowl on WiiSports I always let go of the ball high in the air to control my natural spin to the left (I'm right handed).

When I try to spin the ball to the right I just twist my wrist slightly to the right at the end of my normal bowling action.

However, when I want to spin the ball a long way to the right I have to let go of the ball on the ground (As you all know). Once again I twist my wrist to the right to spin right, but wait, it goes to the left. I have thendis' problem. Now, after carefully analysing my action I have found out why.

When I am going to twist my wrist to the right (to spin right) I start my hand angling left and just before I let go I flick it to the right. This usually works fine when I let the ball go when the ball is right up in the air. When I want to spin the ball a long way I let go on the ground. So I let the b button go earlier but I am not altering the timing of my wrist. Therefore when I let the ball go my wrist is still facing the left. When I have already let the ball go, THEN I twist my wrist to the right, which in turn alters the ball in no way as I have already let the ball go.

And it isn't just when I try to spin right. If I try to put big spin left I end up bowling a right spinning ball because I twist my wrist too late.

So to fix your problem, simply twist or tilt your wrist earlier.

Hope you understood my answer and hope it helps you.

PS: Oh my god! In the time it took me to write this 15 other posts have been made!

Last edited:
I never noticed this problem. Try mastering angling the ball and I guarantee this won't be an issue. If you are consistently noticing this problem, it could be hardware related as stated above (remote perhaps) or even sensor bar placement? I have my sensor underneath my tv... and I play in a pretty small room no further than five feet from the tv (small room, I know...) but I manage to have consistent results. Bowling is so far, my favourite wii sports game.

And one other thing, if you move the character left or right... and move the character quicker one time and slower the next, you will notice the distance is actually slightly different. I actually know when my shots will be strikes or not based on my position. For my best shot I move the character three or four slots to the right, and do a curve shot to the left. It ends up between the first pin and the one just behind to the right... most times it's a strike. I've had seven strikes in a row before (seven pack) so believe me, techniques are definitely in play here.

banned said:
Ha! You have no idea!

There's a thread 'VC Hacked' really about copyright and downloading... etc, but it went into stupid arse things trying to prove a point... seriously, go have a look and laugh! I think it's still going on.

Another one of them 12 year olds. Can't really understand whats going on, doesnt understand the language and/or vocabulary so makes meaningless comments or etc :nono:

Oh well

Update: Now that I'm looking for this issue I think I've found it, but I'm not complaining as it helped me clear all 20 Spin Control Lanes!!!

meh I hardly play wii sports...just isnt my cup of tea.... but yeah that truly sounds stupid......and well its the game designers fault...but even so, it dosnt make it a bad game

thendis said:
I'm not trolling, I've been a big fan of the wii and still believe it has great potential, but this sort of thing is what is going to give it a bad name.

Well... considering you are the first and only person to notice this bug... i highly doubt it will "give the wii a bad name"

Me and my girlfriend have a problem with it tho, even tough we want to aim straight it always always go left side, we tried alot of times and always do it, kinda lame but can live with it easily.

I just tried it and hes right. I had one pin standing on the right side. I took my aim all the way to the left. Bowled like I always do (Right to left spin) and it tried to go right to the pin. I never noticed it nor do I think it makes much of a differnece. YOu still have to have some skill to pick up spares as well as strikes.

Back