Wii Sports bowling EXPOSED!

Ok I read the first 3 posts and went straight to quick reply. So if someone has already stated this I apologize.

I have bowled for 8 years, and well I am very good at it. A few of you said you tried to make it as realistic as possible by twisting your wrists right or left depending on which side the pin is on. No...the most consistent way to pick up a spare is to throw the ball straight at the pin. Making the ball hook leaves too much room for error, and I have found that to be true on the Wii too.

Quick Note: I could never throw the ball truly straight 'til I found this...if you loft the ball (let go of B when your Mii's hand is at the very top, like how you clear that one lane on Spin Control) then it will go dead straight. If you have trouble clearing every lane on Picking Up Spares then try this and you will get it no problem.

This is true. Just tried and it definatly favors/helps how the ball spins depending the pin position. I still like bowling the best on wiisports but this just makes me want the "Brunswick" bowling game that they recently announed that is in the works. Hopefully that one will be really realistic.

Haha i tried it and what u said is a whole load of ****.
Try bowling properly before u gun wii sports like that

mk_south_london said:
Haha i tried it and what u said is a whole load of ****.
Try bowling properly before u gun wii sports like that

You're right I guess I imagined the whole thing.

Jorge said:
Ok I read the first 3 posts and went straight to quick reply. So if someone has already stated this I apologize.

I have bowled for 8 years, and well I am very good at it. A few of you said you tried to make it as realistic as possible by twisting your wrists right or left depending on which side the pin is on. No...the most consistent way to pick up a spare is to throw the ball straight at the pin. Making the ball hook leaves too much room for error, and I have found that to be true on the Wii too.

Quick Note: I could never throw the ball truly straight 'til I found this...if you loft the ball (let go of B when your Mii's hand is at the very top, like how you clear that one lane on Spin Control) then it will go dead straight. If you have trouble clearing every lane on Picking Up Spares then try this and you will get it no problem.

*Beats head into monitor until blood spews from ears* If you really are very good, your hook will be so consistent that you should use it for every spare situation. I have said this 3 times in this thread but I see you didn't read it.

Okay, DON'T TRY TO BOWL STRAIGHT, IT IS FRIGGEN USELESS!!!. Get a feel for your natural hook and always use it. Find me a spare pickup that can't use a right->left hook or vice-versa.

Brawny said:
*Beats head into monitor until blood spews from ears* If you really are very good, your hook will be so consistent that you should use it for every spare situation. I have said this 3 times in this thread but I see you didn't read it.

Okay, DON'T TRY TO BOWL STRAIGHT, IT IS FRIGGEN USELESS!!!. Get a feel for your natural hook and always use it. Find me a spare pickup that can't use a right->left hook or vice-versa.

I never see Walter Ray Williams, Jr. (or most pros, for that matter) hook at single-pin spares. They call him "Deadeye" because of his accuracy, and he's won more PBA titles than anyone in history. It is generally advised to throw straight at spares. Throwing straight will beat any lane condition.

In any case, that's not Wii-related. I have yet to try the auto spin-fix, and now I'm intrigued and want to test it out. I've never actually tried to intentionally miss a spare before, so now it's time for some not-so-scientific testing!

Confirmed!

After some brief testing, I can definitely confirm the original poster's experience. In short, when picking up spares, you almost can't miss, even if you try!

Now of course, it's easy to miss a spare. You hook it too much, or you roll it off target, but what I'm talking about is missing drastically.

For example, if you leave a 10-pin, try to MISS it by aiming left and hooking the ball to the left, you'll see the ball actually hook to the RIGHT. You still might not hit the 10-pin, but the point here is that the game DOES try to correct your hook without, shall we say, your express written consent.

I was trying to leave pins by just lofting a straight ball right at the headpin, leaving lots of corner pins and splits. My first attempt had me leave the 5-7 split. I tried to aim right and hook right to MISS it intentionally, but lo and behold, the ball hooked LEFT, ticking the 5-pin and sending it for a beautiful split conversion.

This experience repeated itself numerous times. When I'd try to miss a spare, whether by hooking it right or left away from the target pin, the spin "corrected" itself. Sometimes the spare was converted, sometimes not; but in every case, the shot was much closer to "success" than it should have been.

I must say I'm a little disappointed in this discovery. I'm not sure if you lose this "advantage" as your skill level grows higher. In either case, I like to have my shot happen the way I throw it. If I throw a bad shot, I want the shot to end badly, not magically find its way to its pre-determined destination.

I do, however, love this game nonetheless. I'm very intrigued by Brunswick Pro Bowling when it comes out. Until then, I'll just watch four lefties and a righty battle it out for a title on ESPN tomorrow at 12:30 EST :) Watch it, they put on a great show!

usatraveler said:
After some brief testing, I can definitely confirm the original poster's experience. In short, when picking up spares, you almost can't miss, even if you try!

Now of course, it's easy to miss a spare. You hook it too much, or you roll it off target, but what I'm talking about is missing drastically.

For example, if you leave a 10-pin, try to MISS it by aiming left and hooking the ball to the left, you'll see the ball actually hook to the RIGHT. You still might not hit the 10-pin, but the point here is that the game DOES try to correct your hook without, shall we say, your express written consent.

I was trying to leave pins by just lofting a straight ball right at the headpin, leaving lots of corner pins and splits. My first attempt had me leave the 5-7 split. I tried to aim right and hook right to MISS it intentionally, but lo and behold, the ball hooked LEFT, ticking the 5-pin and sending it for a beautiful split conversion.

This experience repeated itself numerous times. When I'd try to miss a spare, whether by hooking it right or left away from the target pin, the spin "corrected" itself. Sometimes the spare was converted, sometimes not; but in every case, the shot was much closer to "success" than it should have been.

I must say I'm a little disappointed in this discovery. I'm not sure if you lose this "advantage" as your skill level grows higher. In either case, I like to have my shot happen the way I throw it. If I throw a bad shot, I want the shot to end badly, not magically find its way to its pre-determined destination.

I do, however, love this game nonetheless. I'm very intrigued by Brunswick Pro Bowling when it comes out. Until then, I'll just watch four lefties and a righty battle it out for a title on ESPN tomorrow at 12:30 EST :) Watch it, they put on a great show!

Maybe the WiiSports built in difficulty levels thought u was disabled.
I dont know what all this is about, unless u twist your wrist in the direction of the pin, it won't curl back.
Plus if u twist it too unevenly the wiimote sends a signal to the wii thinking that its gone 360 degrees. Thats why you can whack the wii mote backwards to hit the ball forwards why playing golf.

NOW STOP MAKING FALSE CLAIMS :incazzato:

These claims are confusing me. Are you saying that if you leave a 10 pin that it is impossible to make the ball hook left?

thendis said:
I've always been a big fan on Wii Sports bowling, but tonight I happened to stumble upon something that frankly makes me mad.

So here's a scenario. you have to pick up a spare; there is 1 pin left, at the far right. You shift your player to the centre of the lane, then you bowl the bowl, making sure to skillfully twist your hand a little to the right to spin the ball and get that last pin.

Well unfortunately, I've come to realise skill has little to do with it.

Try this at home:
Get into the same position as described above, with 1 pin at the far right (or left). Now, bowl your ball but instead of twisting your wrist to the right in order to spin in towards the pin, twist your wrist to the left, in an attempt to make a gutterball at the opposite end of the track.

IT DOESN"T WORK! The ball still spins to the right, towards the pin!

Therefore, either twisting your wrist does absolutely nothing, or Wii sports helps you ensure your shot is always on -- or near -- target.

If we're to believe the Wii controller is everything it's supposed to be, this sort of thing should not be necessary.

I'm not trolling, I've been a big fan of the wii and still believe it has great potential, but this sort of thing is what is going to give it a bad name.
i also agree that u may have controller problems because it seems like mine is very realistic in the way the ball moves and turns.

You're hand is slightly twisting towards the right. If you are right handed when you try to bowl straight you're hand will jerk a little bit,

I don't know why. Must be the nervous system's fault

Jorge said:
These claims are confusing me. Are you saying that if you leave a 10 pin that it is impossible to make the ball hook left?

That is precisely what I'm saying. Every time I try to MISS the spare by hooking away from it, the ball will instead hook TOWARDS the pin, whether the pin is to the left or to the right. You ARE able to aim cross-lane at the 10-pin and have some left hook. However, try this. Go all the way to the right, aim way left, maybe towards the 7-pin, and try to hook the ball left, like your normal strike shot if you're a right-hander. It'll hook right every time.

Well that is completely false. I have missed a number of 10 pins by aiming at the pin and it hooking to the left.

This doesn't only happen with "Guest" Miis. It happened with my Pro Mii as well. This phenomenon also happens in the Picking Up Spares and Spin Control games.

I tried a few dozen shots of trying to aim and hook the ball AWAY from a spare, with a success rate of, get this, zero percent. I was never able to, even accidentally, get the ball to hook away from a spare. This includes taking my normal left-hooking strike ball that I have thrown hundreds of times, and trying to aim left and hook left away from a 10-pin. All of a sudden, the ball hooks right, which is tough to do for a righty unless you try to do it. That must be quite a coincidence to have that kind of "Wiimote error" ONLY when it benefits the player, huh?

That's right, no matter where you aim the ball, the ball will automatically hook towards the pin(s) in the relation to the aim line. Of course, nobody will try to miss spares in actual competition, so this is nothing more than a curious little trick that should have no effect on actual gameplay.

This does NOT mean that the auto-correct will make you pick up the spare every time. All it does is makes sure the direction of the spin is towards the spare. The amount of spin is still up to you.

But try it
! Find a spare, aim your line away from it, and try to hook the ball to the side of the aim line that will take it farther away from the spare. Your ball will instead hook towards the spare.

CHALLENGE:
I challenge anyone to post video evidence of a ball that is:
a) Aimed away from a spare AND;
b) Hooked to the side of the aim line such that it spins FARTHER away from the spare (i.e. spinning left when aimed left of the 10-pin, or spinning right when aimed right of the 7-pin).

Last edited:
Back