Wii with DVD player, Summer 2007?

I personally don't know why everyone is obsessed with playing DVD's on their wii. I mean doesn't everybody have a DVD player? I mean I have a External HD-DVD drive... Get with the future people!

Whatever. If it's a firmware update, awesome, DVDWii, if not, I don't care.

I barely even watch DVDs anymore, and when I *do* want to watch them, my computer, and my PS2 can both play DVDs. I don't need to wear out my Wii watching DVDs ;)

Besides, I prefer going to theaters when I see my movies anyways. LOTR just seemed better there than on a DVD for some reason. Same with Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

coolg35748 said:
I personally don't know why everyone is obsessed with playing DVD's on their wii. I mean doesn't everybody have a DVD player? I mean I have a External HD-DVD drive... Get with the future people!

Seriously... everyone else is scrambling to slap a Blu Ray or HD DVD in their box... what's the point of putting something in it that everyone already has?

Like Maximius said, if it's a firmware thing, cool, if not, who cares?

BlenderWizard said:
Seriously... everyone else is scrambling to slap a Blu Ray or HD DVD in their box... what's the point of putting something in it that everyone already has?

That's actually a good point.

I plan to buy a PS3 in 2-3 years after Sony starts getting desperate and is selling it for about as much as a Wii. I kind of want to be able to watch Blu-ray movies, and I'll probably run this on my PS3: http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-PS3.html ;)

I don't think I'd even bother playing games on my PS3 though. Except for the PS2 games I already own, of course. My PS2 is ancient. Got it at launch, and it's still working. I had to do some 'repairs' to it myself about 8 months ago though. Now it makes a strange clicking noise whenever you plug in a controller. That's better than the controllers flat out not working, though. My PS2 has a horrible habit of eating disks I put into it (some of them to the point where they stop f'cking working).. ahh, but that's beside the point.

I beliave the reason that most people are wanting thier wii to play DVD's is mainly because those who were the first to buy the wii will feel cheated that they would bring out a system sometime later with this feature added on. I personally felt angry that Japan's got it first (NOT personally at The Japanese I love them, but Nintendo). It all goes back to when we first heard about this system, it was supposed to have this feature at the beginning and it was later cut; only to later to find out that a certain region was getting it first. Yes I want my system to be everything it's capable of being, and if that mean it can have DVD capabilities then YES! give it to us. I mean come on the ps2 have this feature and not the wii! everyone keep saying get with the times, well ps3 and xbox360 have the next gen of dvd players and nintendo don't have the first. You say dvd players are less than 30 buck well tell that to the big N, and then ask yourself why should you spend money that can go towards a game. By blowing this off is telling them that your willing to settle and I believe in this system I say show us what we have!!!

Yeh, if Nintendo Bring out a console that has a DVD Player instead of a simple firmware update there get the stamp, ill complain!

Back