Your Views on Proper Grammar?

ARav989

WiiChat Member
Dec 13, 2006
New Joisey 0_o
Wii Online Code
6597-7058-7157-6973
I'm sure that this thread has been made in the past but hey, what's the problem with a little revival? :lol:

I was reading the last couple of pages in the "Ask Anyone Anything Thread" and got to thinking...What are your views on proper grammar?

There are obvious Grammar Nazis around this site such as Brawny and AndThen?, although, what about the rest of ya?

Discuss!

My views are that personally, I feel I should use grammar as best as I can and that it would be better if more people can as well...Although, every once in awhile a little txt tlk isn't so bad as long as it's not overdone. If it gets out of hand, then I'll say something.

Let's not make an argument out of this.

Well...

I am a journalism major here at college, and I spend many hours a day practicing copy-editing. When I see butchered words or just overall horrible sentence structure, I just kind of auto-correct it in my head. I usually don't say anything unless I just find it absolutely hysterical. For example...user "Kc3k" said in a thread that he would like to see "Beatle adventure racing" added to the VC...and that kept me laughing for days. I guess the only mistakes that really bother me in forums are the ones that completely change the meaning of a sentence.

Sovieto said:
dis is forum n0t skool

That's really weird. I checked this thread like five minutes ago and you had it correctly spelled, then you changed it. How...appropriate.

Ashwii00 said:
That's really weird. I checked this thread like five minutes ago and you had it correctly spelled, then you changed it. How...appropriate.
iz 4 comeedick Affect

Well my views are-

ARav989 said:
There are obvious Grammar Nazis around this site such as Brawny and AndThen?, although, what about the rest of ya?

...nevermind.

It will take an extreme situation for me to feel the need to correct grammar. I understand that it is generally accepted to use a... well, lets call it an "abridged" form of English on the internet, but I personally prefer reading posts with good grammar.

And that's a good way of looking at things! Hahahah I really wish more people did..

What Sovieto is doing is alright because it's actually funny..Seeing people doing that because they ACTUALLY talk like that and it is just plain intolerable.

Ashwii, how long have you been majoring in Journalism? Lol, if I was a Journalist and I seen bad grammar I think I'd flip =P

I hate when I see people using all caps or shortening a word (example: using "u" for you). I can understand it, but it's annoying as hell. There is even an auto spell check (for those who use Firefox). Use it!

i spell check everything i put down but well as i admitted in my introduction this isn't my first forum and people have complained about some of my posts est so yes i admit that i my grammar blows but i don't think this should stop me from having an opinion=D

I don't mind the random mistakes (they forget to put a letter or two, can't be perfect all the time). But when they do it for every (or every other word), it's like, why? Most people have been through grade school to learn how to spell right? (again, those who's native language is not English is fine). I blame cell phone texting mostly for this corruption of the youth.

People say, "A forum is not school."

I feel sorry for these people who think that things they're taught in school doesn't apply to other parts of culture. =( The point isn't that people can still understand you (and sometimes this point isn't even valid, as a lot of people can't do that.)

Do the laws of physics not affect me in REAL life? Does 1+1 =/= 2 on a forum?

It makes no sense for there to be a FORMAL spelling and an INFORMAL spelling of words... Why not try to make a good impression on the REAL people on the internet too. Clearly people who can spell are more liked than those who cannot. This post might be edited for being mean or something, but it's the truth. ALL "vets" can properly type. I don't know of many people who stay here who cannot use grammar. Coincidence, or sign of a lack of sophistication?

More

Aas long as its not the user beein lazy (ie usein text speak all the time)

whogivefudn5.jpg

Appart from most the people that have posted in this thread

If a person writes in proper grammar it's just that much easier to read. I say, if you know how to use correct grammar and punctuation do so, make our lives a bit easier.

It's all about communication. I you get your point across, it's fine with me. I don't care if you have good grammar or not. Although, I do find it odd that people correct grammar so much on the forum. I mean....is that something that you do in real life? Do you stop people mid-sentence, and tell them that their grammar is incorrect? I know for fact that I don't use correct grammar when speaking conversationally with my friends. Sometimes it just doesn't flow correctly. And if one of my friends corrected my grammar when we were talking, it would be kinda weird. I would probably tell them they'se straight lunchin.

Back