2007 Console Sales

sagema

3D Artist
Dec 5, 2006
NY
Wii Online Code
4496-9128-1304-3457
I got the official numbers. Despite what Sony claims, the game press can only account for 5 PS3 million units sold in 2007. So the last one on the list is based off what the game press and Sony claim. There's a massive numbers gap between the two. I personally think Sony is around 7-8 million units.

It's clear the Wii is winning the console wars, but the 360 is keeping a steady 2nd place, how will 2008 play out?

Wii- 18.5 million units
360- 17.7 million units
PS3- 5?-9.16? million units

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6184326.html

what the diffrence from last year...can some 1 get list.

wii still win but 360 still be behind and ps3 will get cleser.

wii still win next year

Do note that the 17.7 million 360's sold is the amount sold to retailers, not consumers, actually sales to consumers is more like 16 million.

Where did you grab that Wii number from? vgchartz has the Wii number at 19.5 million.

2007 people! 2007, not 2008. The Wii is still selling units as we speak. These numbers are far more accurtate than VG chartz which runs on a ticker that gets tweaked up per sales report, and never down.

The last time that vgchartz was updated was sales ending December 29, and is added to the totals when the numbers come up(not tickered).

I'm not attempting to use vgchartz as a source of accuracy, but the 17.7 million 360's is a number that Microsoft clearly stated as "shipped". This is not the same as sell through.

Even logically, you expect me to believe that retailers have sold 100% of shipped product?

EDIT: And vgchartz always compares their sales numbers to those reported by NDP group. If the numbers at vgchartz are wrong, they are adjusted.

Last edited:
largedarry said:
Do note that the 17.7 million 360's sold is the amount sold to retailers, not consumers, actually sales to consumers is more like 16 million.

Where did you grab that Wii number from? vgchartz has the Wii number at 19.5 million.
same goes for wii and ps3, not just 360.

and anyone who believes vgchartz or nexgenwras or whatever is just retarded.

Sovieto said:
and anyone who believes vgchartz or nexgenwras or whatever is just retarded.

Same goes to whoever believes the numbers that manufacturers state (I mean sell through not shipped, thats going to be correct).

Last edited:
most of them are hacks but when you look at VG charts they are the closest to the truth acctually giving an unbiased opinion... and basing it on more than one factor

1st. sales reports from the maker i.e. sony,ms,nintendo units that have left the factory and on to a store for sale. some of it is even presales of units that havent been made yet.

2nd.they get sales reports from all major stores Target,walmart,toys-r-us,amazon and find out how many they report selling..

3rd.They look at all market research and tracking information companies.

4th.from that they give a best estimate at how many are acctually in the homes not just on store shelfs... no one of course could have an exact number in homes too many small stores that dont report sales to change that number, but based on what info they collect they average it out...

Example
consoles sold to stores 20 million
Stores average reports sales 90% units sold
amount acctually in home 18 million

That makes a hudge differance in the acctual units sold.

Console companies report how many they sell flat out... thats to the stores Target,walmart,toyr-r-us... not to the consumer... so its not an accurate count of units in the homes... Sony might have sold 9.5 million units as of the end of 2007 but how many are still sitting on a shelf? same goes for xbox and wii... you have to figure in the supply and demand... i can go out right now and buy a ps3 or 360... the same cant be said for Wii, that would be the only one where systems sold to stores would even be a close number....

So its a guess based on the info available... you wont get a true acurate count untill they stop making the console all together and can tell you total sold... even then how long do you see previous gen consoles stil sitting in a game case not sold? i know ive seen GC's and xbox's still for sale little dusty but there...

Sony is a little trickier they are keeping there old gen system alive because so many people have the ps2 and so few have the ps3 as of now that they would get hit hard if they stopped selling ps2... so what do you base sonys sales on? just the ps3 or the ps2 and 3 because they still sell and make both of them? because they are doing just fine considering both systems are selling ok...
and when you look at there year overall of sales, they had the roughest start no doubt but had a quick upturn with price drop and are now the same level 360 was after a year... Dont Forget 360 has been out a year longer than the other 2 systems so they got a good headstart...

Last edited:
Surely the numbers are around there, its hard to get them precise.
The bigger thing this year will be the software sales of the games coming out this year, which in part will lead to more consoles being sold.

You can't count ps2's or psp's for sony, because if you counted DS's, then nintendo would have over 40M sold. I dunno what to believe any more, so many stats are untrue. I think the wii and the 360 are pretty close, and the ps3's lagging behind... thats all I know.

I think VGChartz has it right tbh. And what do you mean "i personally think sony sold 7-8 million" no offense but how the hell would you know? lol.

vgchartz is not a reliable source for sales. Go try and edit Wii/Xbox/PS3 wikipedia page about sales and they will delete what you do because they dont take vgchartz as a source. It has to be an official article from a reliable source.

Back