Does God exist?

Catholicism- 1 billion people
Protestantism- 350 million people
Eastern Orthodoxy- 150 million people
Anglicanism- 80 million people
Non denominational people- unknown, most likely in the millions

You honestly think that these groups care whether the very small minority of people think they're Christian or not?

No, not at all. And the smaller groups don't care that those bigger groups don't consider them Christian either.

Well they should do. They distort to the Bible to their own meanings; indeed, they do not even treat the Bible with the authority it has earned over the past two thousand years. Even some atheists treat the Bible with moral reverence, they treat their so called 'Book of Mormon' with more respect. Christianity is an incredibly large and diverse group, granted, but that does mean that any belief can be classed as Christian, far from it, especially when it goes against Christian tenets.

I know the problem with translating things--you lose part of the original meaning through translation.

No, not necessarily.

However, there are countless different ENGLISH versions alone (and I'm not trying to turn this thread into attacking Christianity), even several modern ones, and versions that claim to be "modified, new, and improved". Sounds like a marketing scheme, to me.

Just different ways of saying the same thing.

Well they should do. They distort to the Bible to their own meanings; indeed, they do not even treat the Bible with the authority it has earned over the past two thousand years.

But you see, the smaller groups make that same claim against the larger groups. (Not really referring to Mormons, because they do have their own book, but to those others who use only the Bible).
And many mainstream Christian denominations flatly contradict things plainly outlined in the Bible with their own teachings.

Christianity is an incredibly large and diverse group, granted, but that does mean that any belief can be classed as Christian, far from it, especially when it goes against Christian tenets.

I agree completely.... as long as those tenets are based on the Bible and not tradition.

Well they should do. They distort to the Bible to their own meanings; indeed, they do not even treat the Bible with the authority it has earned over the past two thousand years. Even some atheists treat the Bible with moral reverence, they treat their so called 'Book of Mormon' with more respect. Christianity is an incredibly large and diverse group, granted, but that does mean that any belief can be classed as Christian, far from it, especially when it goes against Christian tenets.
Have you ever considered the possibility that Protestants are just guilty of distorting the Bible to fit their own desires? I mean, it's not like anyone has the original copy to hand to check (the Dead Sea scrolls are about as close as we're likely to get).

By the way, just to let you know, I'm not one of those atheists who treat it with any moral reverence.

I know the problem with translating things--you lose part of the original meaning through translation.

No, not necessarily.
Not necessarily, but sometimes. The original message of an idiom can be lost, for example, or the meaning of a word can change (e.g. the word 'gay').

Last edited:
Have you ever considered the possibility that Protestants are just guilty of distorting the Bible to fit their own desires? I mean, it's not like anyone has the original copy to hand to check (the Dead Sea scrolls are about as close as we're likely to get).

No, because Protestantism is one of the few Christian denominations that place the Bible as authoraritive instead of the Church. We can make our interpretation of it, we do not have to go by the thoughts of a pensioner in a golden church in Rome. Therefore, if we do distort it, we are only distorting it ourself.

The Dead Sea Scrolls are a particular fascination of mine, especially the Apocryphal Gospels that tell a completely different version of events to the canonical ones.

No, because Protestantism is one of the few Christian denominations that place the Bible as authoraritive instead of the Church. We can make our interpretation of it, we do not have to go by the thoughts of a pensioner in a golden church in Rome. Therefore, if we do distort it, we are only distorting it ourself.

The Dead Sea Scrolls are a particular fascination of mine, especially the Apocryphal Gospels that tell a completely different version of events to the canonical ones.

You would have to be born into Protestantism to believe such a thing. Other denominations will tell you the same exact thing, and yet completely disagree with you on other matters. There are SO MANY different denominations that contradict one another and even some who express hatred for one another that such confusion arises among Christianity. While people have caused most of this strife, the language of the Bible is now mostly that of man, not God, and this is why there are so many problems with Christianity (not necessarily the Christians themselves, most "Christians" these days do not follow any religion but rather tradition and culture mixed with what they may or may not know as simplified atheism).

Other denominations will tell you the same exact thing, and yet completely disagree with you on other matters

Really? Which ones?

There are SO MANY different denominations that contradict one another

How do they contradict each other? Could you give an example?

even some who express hatred for one another that such confusion arises among Christianity

Again, no Christian denomination hates another Christian denomination. The Christians within those denimonations may hate other Christians, but no denomination actively preaches hate. That would be a downright contradiction to the Christian faith itself.

people have caused most of this strife, the language of the Bible is now mostly that of man, not God,

It's all the language of man; none of it is th language of God.

many problems with Christianity

What are these many problems? Care to list them? I suspect you'll go banging on about denominations again, but that's not a problem; heck, I'd say the fact Christianity is still a firmly united religion despite all the denominations is not a problem, it is an absoloute achievement, that no religion or country has been able to reach in history.

not necessarily the Christians themselves, most "Christians" these days do not follow any religion but rather tradition and culture mixed with what they may or may not know as simplified atheism

Christians today do not see their faith as a religion at all. Religion is man made, it is a system of laws and codes, many of them completely pointless and irrational, that is the opium of the masses so to speak. Most Christians (and I emphasise most) see Christianity not as a religion, but a divine relationship with the King, a true path, not as a social-political system as religion tries to be, but as a deeply personal albeit welcoming path of truth.

Christians today do not see their faith as a religion at all. Religion is man made, it is a system of laws and codes, many of them completely pointless and irrational, that is the opium of the masses so to speak. Most Christians (and I emphasise most) see Christianity not as a religion, but a divine relationship with the King, a true path, not as a social-political system as religion tries to be, but as a deeply personal albeit welcoming path of truth.
Thing is, most religions the same thing, that they are the 'true path' to God. So call it what you like, but to me Christianity is still a religion.

There are SO MANY different denominations that contradict one another

That doesn't mean they are all incorrect though.

most "Christians" these days do not follow any religion but rather tradition and culture

Agreed. On occasion I've had the opportunity to talk to lifelong Christians of various denominations, and it's not uncommon for them to know little about the Bible and are surprised to find aspects of their personal beliefs are not supported by the Bible or even directly contradict it.

Of course God exist. Just because you have no evidence of him being real doesn't make it so....that is what having faith in something is. You don't have to see to believe...

The simple answer to this is yes if not for him you'll be dead

People God DOES exsist if he didnt how would you be living? if you want proof God DOES exist then go find a bible, if you dont have one buy one. read the bible, it IS God's word. Everything in the bible is true to the end. God gave us the bible so we could read and believe and have faith that he DOES exist. some people say God is a man, some say He doesnt care about us, Let me ask you one question. If God didnt exist would you have your parents, where would your life be? we would be living a life of sin and corruption, we wouldnt know right from wrong you wouldnt know how to love, you would be a disgusting whoremonger. you wouldnt respect anyone but your self and your false gods, and idols. it doesnt depend on your religion.

God DOES exsist.

P.S there's a difference between religion and christianity.

Last edited:
Back