Faulty Wii? Hardware issues?

ZeLdA1202 said:
the only part about my wii mote that works is the buttons...the sensor doesnt work on games like bowling golf ect...HELP!!! ino its not the senspor bar because the 2nd controller works fine on any game

I think I have the same problem. It was working fine, but then it stopped working during the games. It works on the menu screen but once you start to play it doesnt work. Someone please help.

Component cable issues

I use component cables to connect my Wii to my tv. When playing virtual console games, N64 games work perfectly. Games from all other consoles twitch from side to side so much as to be unplayable. When I switch cables to the standard red, white, and yellow cables, the problem goes away. Any ideas? It's annoying to have to have the Wii connected in a different way than my other consoles...

Wii x said:
My wii shuts down after a couple of hours of gameplay , i go and feel it and its super hot. What should i do.. This has been happening after the last update.oh and when i was updating with the last update it did the same while updating and it was super hot .

I had this when my Wii was new. I found that the cooling fan was not actually running. I poked it with a paper clip and all was well, no more overheating and no more lockups. Check the fan.

Won't Turn On

Has anyone had problems with their Wii not responding to anything? Mine won't turn on manually or through the "Wiimote". The small LED light isn't green or red. It's completely off and it won't turn on. I had this problem with my Gamecube a long time ago but at least with my Gamecube, LOZ: TP wasn't trapped inside along with my game data. I contacted Nintendo, but they have yet to email me back.:mad2:

STKR said:
Has anyone had problems with their Wii not responding to anything? Mine won't turn on manually or through the "Wiimote". The small LED light isn't green or red. It's completely off and it won't turn on. I had this problem with my Gamecube a long time ago but at least with my Gamecube, LOZ: TP wasn't trapped inside along with my game data. I contacted Nintendo, but they have yet to email me back.:mad2:

ok, I got some questions for you since this has happened before:

1. is this and old house or apartment?
2. did the power went out at you house recently?
3. do you have a surge preotector? and if yes, is the wii conected to it?
4. have you tried a different outlet?

My Wii shuts off after about 15 mintues of playing a game or doing anything on the Wii. I've tried what Nintendo has suggested(unplugging everything, waiting 45 seconds, then plugging it back in) but this hasn't worked. Can someone help me or tell me if I'm doing something wrong.

Mau said:
ok, I got some questions for you since this has happened before:

1. is this and old house or apartment?
2. did the power went out at you house recently?
3. do you have a surge preotector? and if yes, is the wii conected to it?
4. have you tried a different outlet?

1. It's not an old house, but it isn't brand new either. It was built in the mid 90s I believe.
2. Yes. It went out yesterday afternoon.
3. I have no idea. I didn't even think about a power outage messing up the console. It never effects anything.
4. Yes. My Wii is plugged into one of the large extension cables with around eight additional plugs. There are only three things plugged into it though, including the console.

STKR said:
1. It's not an old house, but it isn't brand new either. It was built in the mid 90s I believe.
3. I have no idea. I didn't even think about a power outage messing up the console. It never effects anything.
4. Yes. My Wii is plugged into one of the large extension cables with around eight additional plugs. There are only three things plugged into it though, including the console.

ok, when connecting a lot of stuff into one outlet is not safe, first because when they build the house, sometimes one outlet is an extension of another, so you might only have 3 connected in that end, but if an extension of that outlet you have connected 2 more that would make 5 in the same electrical system. thats why when you are connecting more than one thing in the outlet, you NEED a surge protector to be safe. And also, the surge protector, protects you from high power going thru the electrical system out to your electronics, that thats what probably happened when the power came back up, it just fried the wii... sorry

thats my diagnostic

Sillyhat said:
My Wii shuts off after about 15 mintues of playing a game or doing anything on the Wii. I've tried what Nintendo has suggested(unplugging everything, waiting 45 seconds, then plugging it back in) but this hasn't worked. Can someone help me or tell me if I'm doing something wrong.

it seems overheating, I think
is the wii in a cabinet or a very closed area? are you using the wii stand? does the sun gets to the wii?

if not, talk to nintendo, you need a new one.

Last edited:
it seems overheating, I think
is the wii in a cabinet or a very closed area? are you using the wii stand? does the sun gets to the wii?

if not, talk to nintendo, you need a new one.

Yeah thats what it seems to be but it's not in a closed area, I'm not using the stand and there is absolutely no sun near it. I called Nintendo and I'm sending it in for repair, so hopefully it doesn't take too long to fix the problem.

Sillyhat said:
Yeah thats what it seems to be but it's not in a closed area, I'm not using the stand and there is absolutely no sun near it. I called Nintendo and I'm sending it in for repair, so hopefully it doesn't take too long to fix the problem.

if you were not using the stand, and the wii was vertical, that was the problem. The wii has the fan underneath it, so you need that space under the wii. Now if you were using it horizontally, well, it needs repair...

STKR said:
my cuz had the same situation like you his power went out in the house and back on and he thought it was broken and just left it sitting for a month and when he tried it again it mysteriously worked agian. i am not sure if the wii has some kind of voltage protection like a power supply on a pc and it resets over time or what but try unplugging for a few hours and try agian who knows

bangulo said:
my cuz had the same situation like you his power went out in the house and back on and he thought it was broken and just left it sitting for a month and when he tried it again it mysteriously worked agian. i am not sure if the wii has some kind of voltage protection like a power supply on a pc and it resets over time or what but try unplugging for a few hours and try agian who knows

this worked with my gamecube and my dreamcast, just stopped because of the power turning off and on, now i got em back out after a few months and they works fine

tim

kmwagner8 said:
I think I have the same problem. It was working fine, but then it stopped working during the games. It works on the menu screen but once you start to play it doesnt work. Someone please help.

I have the same problem as you and Zelda. My wiimote works fine on the menu even on the wii sports menu but then when i go into a game it stops working. I don't understand why because when i did boxing to test it out, the nunchuck worked but the actual wiimote still was not working. there has to be something wrong with the wiimote i just dont know what.. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

I played my wii for like 9 hours and now when I turn it off and now the light next to the power swich is orange

Wiiremote death

So I got my wii on release date in canada, and until now have not had any major problems with it. But now 7 months later and my wii remote has a major problem. At first I thought it may have been the intec battery pack I had been using but after replacing the charge pac with fully charged panasonic batteries, it still is not working properly? The pointing system works fine however when it comes to games such as wario ware or say wii sports bowling where you have to swing and/or tilt the wii remote it does not work what so ever. What do I do call nintendo? ship it in?

Back