I couldn't resist the dark side anymore

Wiinter said:
In terms of sheer volume, references to "the dark side", especially those that are preceded... Feel free to be over-literal if you choose, but your interpretation is FAR from "the obvious".

Not OVER, just being. And think about this, Star Wars is only 25 years old. Where did Lucus get the basis for his interpretation of "Dark Side". I'll tell you. From the belief that evil lives in the dark, night, shadows, BLACK areas.

Wiinter said:
You were also almost certainly intentionally trying to draw that allusion in

No offense, but where do you get off telling me what I mean? I meant what I wrote. If I had intended for it to reference Star Wars or evil I would have put that in there somewhere

Wiinter said:
your reader's mind, since the Elite is not a side of anything. All of its sides are black (unlike the earth/moon, buildings and trees). If you were really being obliquely literal, you would have said you were unable to resist the black/dark box. You can get a bonus double entendre out of it, but you don't lost the Star Wars reference in the process.

Did you miss the fact that the Wii is WHITE? Hence the DARK side. Wii:White, Elite:BLACK. Wii:Light Side, Elite: DARK side.

Whatever, you think what you want to think. I'll KNOW what I meant. I'm tired of too many people thinking they know what someone meant instead of accepting what's written or asking for clarification.

"I couldn't resist the dark side of that building." If you want talk about how much you'd like to be in the shade, most people are going to just say "shade".[/QUOTE]

strommsarnac said:
Did you miss the fact that the Wii is WHITE? Hence the DARK side. Wii:White, Elite:BLACK. Wii:Light Side, Elite: DARK side.

I'm guessing you don't know what double entendre means. What about bonus? Does that ring a bell? Again, you get points for knowing your colors, but it doesn't get rid of the sheer volume of dark side references. That volume makes the literal version less obvious.

If English isn't your first language, I'll both apologize and give your props for handling it so adeptly. If it is, you are one weird native english speaker. "The obvious" doesn't mean "the most literal", it means the thing that your words bring to more people's minds than others. Star Wars has been around for 30 years--but even people old enough to remember life before Star Wars are extremely familiar with it--it wasn't just a nerd movie, it was a popular explosion (even people who haven't seen it know some of the references), and not even just in the US, but worldwide.

In this case, the words the dark side and their surrounding context "couldn't resist" can't possibly be taken without acknowledging that source--if you're smooth, like you were, you can get a double meaning, but you can't keep Vader out of one or the other of those meanings.

It's like putting "beam me up" in a reference that includes the name "Scotty", and then claiming that there was no Trek connection and you only meant that some should use a wooden beam to leverage you to a high position--and how could anyone think othewise?!?. (Except worse, because Star Wars is more popularly recognizable).

No offense, but where do you get off telling me what I mean?...
Whatever, you think what you want to think. I'll KNOW what I meant. I'm tired of too many people thinking they know what someone meant instead of accepting what's written or asking for clarification.

If you're a bright (native english speaking) guy, you were attempting to add the dark side allusion as a bonus joke. I prefer to give you the benefit of the doubt on being bright, and you have a pretty good handle on english. If you didn't mean to draw that picture, and do indeed have English as a first language, and are still arguing about how "obvious" your take is, you're not too bright. Would you rather I have presumed the later?

If you had only explained what you meant, I would have left you alone. Different strokes for different folks. But you insisted, and insist still, on the obviousness of your interpretation. I'm not that busy on the weekends (and I don't have an xbox to fill the time), so I'm happy to give you a hard time for it.

Wiinter said:
"I couldn't resist the dark side of that building." If you want talk about how much you'd like to be in the shade, most people are going to just say "shade".

See, "shade" would obviously refer to the side of the building that is darker. The dark side of the building is most likely (most obviously) going to refer to H.R. :lol:

Cap'n Crunch said:
yah im selling like all my wii games except wario ware( only because it has great multiplayer.) im putting all the cash i get on and eb edge card to save up for a 360 , i need one bad, and then im goingh to restart on my wii games, like getting mp3, ssbb,smg, and more, im a hardcore gamer, and well wii its kinda casual. i never thought id say this, but more and more i think the wii is ....is....a...second console(gulp).
Don't sell your stuff to ebGames... they'll rip you off. They offered me $3 for my old Gamecube controller and $30 for the Gamecube and I actually took the offer. Now since I'm pretty much sure I'm getting a Wii, I regret selling the GC controller and memory card.

I'd recommend selling it on the Amazon marketplace, eBay or locally unless ebGames actually gives you a pretty good price for it.

skool sucks said:
i H8 Xbox Xbox 360 Xbox 360 Elit THER **** WII ROCKS
I LOVE YOU!!!!!<33333333333333

HOW DARE YOU JOIN THE DARK SIDE!!! WHEN THEY SAY THEY HAVE COOKIES THEY ARE LYING ( sorry for yelling, lost my cool there) 360 SUCKS!!!

im just saying, stop being fanboys. dark side. man guys grow up. and im younger than most of you.

Demon Slayer said:
I LOVE YOU!!!!!<33333333333333

HOW DARE YOU JOIN THE DARK SIDE!!! WHEN THEY SAY THEY HAVE COOKIES THEY ARE LYING ( sorry for yelling, lost my cool there) 360 SUCKS!!!
we dont care to hear from a non-gamers opinion.

Wow this is just sad. I won't say I'm a native english speaker, however, I was born in Central Ohio and still live here. I'd say I'm a native American :) speaker.

Am I dumb, I don't think so. I have a pretty high IQ, high scores from when I was in High School, I'm a MCSE/MCT, I teach that, I know how to repair 99% of whatever could go wrong on autos, home items, computers, I am an Eagle Scout (although not active for more than 15 years), etc. Oh and I have street smarts too.

Dumb, nah, most people I meet don't think I am, it's not just my ego.

The reference to StarWars seems to be the overriding issue. My point is that most people in the world don't give a crap about SW. Personally, I'm a StarTrek fan even though I did see the 1st SW 136 times the Summer it came out. But I was an impressionable kid and a movie/drink/candy or popcorn was only $1.20. I made a ton on my paper route.

However, I still remember older "dark side" references (pink floyd anyone?). So maybe it's just my age and having to deal with too many literal legal issues that makes me stick to the obvious.

Sometimes things are as simple as they seem. One could make anything appear more complicated by coming up with all sorts of vague or alternate explanations, but those usually come from a sense of trying to seem more important than said person feels they are.

Why you keep taking personal jabs just empowers me to think you are such a person.

If you won't accept that I meant exactly what I wrote, fine. I'm done. I have better things to do with my time.

BTW: I just got done playing on the Wii in my backyard on my 8' wide "yard" screen. Mario Party 8 is a blast, but most of it was with my neighbors and Tiger Woods. I hate real golf, but TW is fun.

strommsarnac said:
Wow this is just sad. I won't say I'm a native english speaker, however, I was born in Central Ohio and still live here. I'd say I'm a native American :) speaker.

Am I dumb, I don't think so. I have a pretty high IQ, high scores from when I was in High School, I'm a MCSE/MCT, I teach that, I know how to repair 99% of whatever could go wrong on autos, home items, computers, I am an Eagle Scout (although not active for more than 15 years), etc. Oh and I have street smarts too.

Dumb, nah, most people I meet don't think I am, it's not just my ego.

The reference to StarWars seems to be the overriding issue. My point is that most people in the world don't give a crap about SW. Personally, I'm a StarTrek fan even though I did see the 1st SW 136 times the Summer it came out. But I was an impressionable kid and a movie/drink/candy or popcorn was only $1.20. I made a ton on my paper route.

However, I still remember older "dark side" references (pink floyd anyone?). So maybe it's just my age and having to deal with too many literal legal issues that makes me stick to the obvious.

Sometimes things are as simple as they seem. One could make anything appear more complicated by coming up with all sorts of vague or alternate explanations, but those usually come from a sense of trying to seem more important than said person feels they are.

Why you keep taking personal jabs just empowers me to think you are such a person.

If you won't accept that I meant exactly what I wrote, fine. I'm done. I have better things to do with my time.

BTW: I just got done playing on the Wii in my backyard on my 8' wide "yard" screen. Mario Party 8 is a blast, but most of it was with my neighbors and Tiger Woods. I hate real golf, but TW is fun.
this guy feels the exact same way http://www.angryrants.com/jonmad

strommsarnac said:
The reference to StarWars seems to be the overriding issue. My point is that most people in the world don't give a crap about SW.

There's no need to 1) be a fan or 2) have even seen the movies to get the reference. It became a cultural phenomenon and everyone began using the terminology whether they were aware of where it came from or not.

The over-riding issue is the word 'obvious'. The side issue is the context.
Sometimes things are as simple as they seem. One could make anything appear more complicated by coming up with all sorts of vague or alternate explanations,

We agree.

I'm done. I have better things to do with my time.

See, I don't have an 360, so I've got plenty of time. :)

However, I still remember older "dark side" references (pink floyd anyone?).

Dark Side of the Moon. My argument has nothing to do with there being no other dark side references, but rather the sheer volume + context (couldn't resist) leaning towards one interpretation. That and if Bill Gates doesn't remind you of Dark Helmet, well...

Back