I heard that there's a method of getting N64 games for free on the Wii

Explosive Smurf

WiiChat Member
Nov 19, 2006
i heard (on this site) that if u call up nintendo and ive them the cerial code on the back of your n64 games that it proves you own it, and you get the digital version for free.

is this true?

If this is true, I'd hope that they grandfather in past purchases, because I've already bought Super Mario 64 in the VCstore, but I've got the actual cartride laying down in the den along with a few other N64 games and the console.

Shoot, I've got quite a few SNES games down there as well!

What they might do, if they even plan to do this, is have an option in the VCstore that allows you to type in the serial number from whatever game you want to buy, and that'd be equivalent to actually buying it with Wii Points.

Yeh, I've got a Wii, but no, there's not a possibility to do it at the moment. This is the first I've heard of this idea.

Very interesting idea that would be really beneficial for Nintendo loyalists... i dont really think that it hasnt crossed Nintys mind though... it would cut quite some money from vc income in general, given the fact that there are quite a lot of nintendo 64 cartridges going around, at a cheaper price that the vc's (which is 10$ isnt it?).

Think_Tank said:
Very interesting idea that would be really beneficial for Nintendo loyalists... i dont really think that it hasnt crossed Nintys mind though... it would cut quite some money from vc income in general, given the fact that there are quite a lot of nintendo 64 cartridges going around, at a cheaper price that the vc's (which is 10$ isnt it?).

yes.

but it really depends on who you buy it off of (the n64 cartredges). ebay sells ssb for $25, and some games you could buy at a swatmeat for a lot cheaper

you said you have heard it somewhere on the forum??
can you back that up with any proof at all?
though it would be a good idea, and beneficial to many, i doubt it would ever happen.

Is the serial number on the back of the game itself, or the game box? All of my N64 games are packed away, and I don't want to pull out the box.

Well...I HAVE seen N64 cartridges sold en masse in UK shops for 5 and 10 pounds... but I guess that youre right in the end (it can indeed be more expensive in certain retail outlets than the vc's version)...

Pretty ironic that you have to pay for a game twice though :p

i heard that in line waiting for wii, someone with a cartridge try redeeming a code, and try calling ninty to see if it works

Back