iPod Touch v1.1.3

Wiily Good

WiiChat Member
Oct 28, 2006
Australia
This is a bit of a rant.

Back in October I bought myself a 16GB iPod Touch. It came with firmware version v1.1.1. I upgraded to v1.1.2 when it came available. One of its more important additions was the ability to add calender events on the go. Now, after the MacWorld event, I find I can update to v1.1.3. I did this last night. It is a 170MB file. I thought, "WOW! This is a huge update it must be something major". I quickly did a search as to what it contained and found that it enabled users to used e-mail, Google Maps, Stock Market, Weather, etc. I was very excited as it was now even more than before, an iPhone without a phone. Upon downloading and installing it I was disappointed, the new icons weren't on the screen. The only that had changed was there was a pointless new button in the web browser and the home screen graphic was a little different. Thinking something was wrong I realised that the additional applications and additional features included in v1.1.3 will cost me $AU25! The equivalent iPhone update costs nothing! Of course, when you buy a new iPod Touch now, it will have these applications included.

Now, Apple pulled a similar stunt on a larger scale when they released the iPhone, hacking $200 off the price a few months later. They really are not being nice to us early adopters. I know its only $25 but the device costs me $550, surely they can give me a measly software update for free.

Apple really needs to be stopped. My first thought is that I shouldn't get it, I shouldn't pay for something that should have been free. But I want it. I really want the extra functionality. And then it dawned on me. Apple can keep doing this as much as they like. The consumers aren't going to vote with their wallets, if they want it, they're going to buy it. No matter much much Apple's going to rip them off.

Someone else needs to step in. Some consumer group/market watchdog has to step in and stop Apple doing this, it is blatantly a rip off and very unethical. Apple really does have me and its other customers wrapped around its little finger if even though I recognise its a rip off, I'm very prepared to go out and pay the money for it. Heck, if this update was more that $AU25, I'd still go out and buy it.

I have an iPod Touch as well. Although I have no need for the upgrade but still, you're absolutely right. Apple has us wrapped around their finger. This is why when i need something for it, I use LimeWire.

Wiily Good said:
This is a bit of a rant.

Back in October I bought myself a 16GB iPod Touch. It came with firmware version v1.1.1. I upgraded to v1.1.2 when it came available. One of its more important additions was the ability to add calender events on the go. Now, after the MacWorld event, I find I can update to v1.1.3. I did this last night. It is a 170MB file. I thought, "WOW! This is a huge update it must be something major". I quickly did a search as to what it contained and found that it enabled users to used e-mail, Google Maps, Stock Market, Weather, etc. I was very excited as it was now even more than before, an iPhone without a phone. Upon downloading and installing it I was disappointed, the new icons weren't on the screen. The only that had changed was there was a pointless new button in the web browser and the home screen graphic was a little different. Thinking something was wrong I realised that the additional applications and additional features included in v1.1.3 will cost me $AU25! The equivalent iPhone update costs nothing! Of course, when you buy a new iPod Touch now, it will have these applications included.

Now, Apple pulled a similar stunt on a larger scale when they released the iPhone, hacking $200 off the price a few months later. They really are not being nice to us early adopters. I know its only $25 but the device costs me $550, surely they can give me a measly software update for free.

Apple really needs to be stopped. My first thought is that I shouldn't get it, I shouldn't pay for something that should have been free. But I want it. I really want the extra functionality. And then it dawned on me. Apple can keep doing this as much as they like. The consumers aren't going to vote with their wallets, if they want it, they're going to buy it. No matter much much Apple's going to rip them off.

Someone else needs to step in. Some consumer group/market watchdog has to step in and stop Apple doing this, it is blatantly a rip off and very unethical. Apple really does have me and its other customers wrapped around its little finger if even though I recognise its a rip off, I'm very prepared to go out and pay the money for it. Heck, if this update was more that $AU25, I'd still go out and buy it.
Jailbreak it.

Go to www.jailbreakme.com on the safari browser and free your iPod.

I considered Jailbreaking it. I went to the Jailbreak website. I know I should do it. I know that, but I can't bring myself to do it. It just feels wrong. I know Apple is ripping me off but I can't bring myself to jailbreak it. Like I said, they wrap people around they're little finger.

Having said that, I downloaded the software update and it is well worth the $25, though it would have been nice if they gave it to us for free. I definitely recommend the update to everyone with a non-jailbroken iPod Touch out there.

On another note, if I were to jailbreak my iPod Touch, what extra features would I get? I guess it allows you to download extra apps, instead of having to use web apps.

Wiily Good said:
I considered Jailbreaking it. I went to the Jailbreak website. I know I should do it. I know that, but I can't bring myself to do it. It just feels wrong. I know Apple is ripping me off but I can't bring myself to jailbreak it. Like I said, they wrap people around they're little finger.

Having said that, I downloaded the software update and it is well worth the $25, though it would have been nice if they gave it to us for free. I definitely recommend the update to everyone with a non-jailbroken iPod Touch out there.

On another note, if I were to jailbreak my iPod Touch, what extra features would I get? I guess it allows you to download extra apps, instead of having to use web apps.
Yep. You can get NES emulators and MSN.

There are hundreds of apps for you to use

Back