LOST Season 5

With us having a week-off from Lost, I figured I might as well create some discussion. I know it's a lot, so you can read at your leasure and respond to individual theories rather than the entire post if you like. Also, due to the nature of this post being on future shows, it contains many tentative spoilers, although it should be noted that I know nothing that you guys don't, so they're just as likely to be false.

So yeah, I pretty much love this episode now too. In my eyes, it spawns five major new storylines:

Who's the baby?: You could make an argument that it's no one important and that that scene was only used to show that whatever caused mothers to die on the island hasn't happened yet, but doesn't it sound very Lostish to have the baby be someone we already know? This one is completely up in the air. Judging by the time difference (1977-2004), the man would be 27 during the Oceanic crash, but time in general is getting pretty ambiguous, so you could make a case that that doesn't matter. Good guesses at this point are Ethan (Looked a bit older than 27, yes, but he's one of the closest to that age, he could have easily been raised by the Others, and his being born on the island (and being a premature birth) could explain his unusual strength, endurance, and intelligence), Jacob (I hate this idea, but it's quite popular so I decided to list it. I personally think this would make the God-like Jacob that we've come to know too...normal. However, Horace was seen 'building a cabin for the missus', so is it just a coincidence that Jacob lives in a cabin?), Desmond, Hurley, or Daniel (They all have special connections to the island. Hurley looks very similar to Horace—moreso than he does to his own parents. If Daniel was born on the island, it would complete the pattern of the freighter scientists being born on the island, assuming that Miles is Chandle's son. Furthermore, Desmond is one of the only major characters that isn't on the island and that has no intention of going there, and this would be a good way of getting his character (whether it's one we recognize or not) back into the heat of things.In the case of people that have been alluded to being born off the island, it's completely possible that they were born on island and that their 'parents' that we've met are adoptive parents, which means literally anyone that we haven't seen being born has a possibility of being this child).

How will Sawyer deal with Jack and company arriving on the island?: We don't know how much Sawyer has told Horace, so all we can assume is that he still thinks they crashed their boat on the island. It seems a little ridiculous to propose that he could say he finally found his crew after three years, and Horace might be suspicious if he's told that the crew that crashed on the island three years ago found another crew that crashed on the island, so you guess is as good as mine on this theory.

How will the 815ers deal with adolescent Ben?: Based on the timeline, young Ben is either on the island in 1977 or will be arriving there very shortly. My guess is that Ben will be on the submarine that comes back in two weeks, which is when Sawyer and company are supposed to leave. This will be a very big problem that they will have to deal with, and it's my personal theory that Ben remembers them. Do you remember the list that he gave Michael? Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Hurley. Aside from Jin, and Juliet (who he had already employed at that time), this is a complete list of all of the 815ers that he would recognize from his childhood. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Could a time-traveller be a Dharma employee that we've already heard stories about or met in a flashback?: I love this theory. With this pattern of time-travellers working for Dharma and taking up aliases, we could know them as two different people. The most obvious person that comes to mind is Radzinsky. For those of you who don't remember him, this is all the information known about him:

If the shotgun death sounds familiar, it's because it is. Sam Toomey, the original slave to The Numbers, also killed himself this way. After this brief explanation it seems blatantly obvious that Radzinsky must be Hurley, especially since sitting in the Swan for all eternity pressing the numbers that haunt his mind seems like a fittingly ironic end to his character. However, after reviewing Radzinsky's profile again, his masterful knowledge of the island, his wit, and his sheer intelligence make him sound like a more Danielesque character—virtually the exact opposite of Hurley. Hurley doesn't seem like the type of guy that is an expert at anything, to be honest. Additionally, not many fans would be happy with such a gruesome end to the lovable Hurley's life. Regardless of all this, I think it's certain that due to the lack of information we have on Radzinsky that he is someone we know, and I still think it's most likely Hurley (Plus, can't you just see Hurley defending his pseudoname with something like, "Radzinsky...y'know, 'cuz I'm rad"? :))

How will they get back to the present with Locke and Ben?: Most people agree that Daniel will be the one to get them back (because of his knowledge and because of the scene from the pilot that showed him working in The Orchid-to-be), probably through a desperate attempt to stop Charlotte from dying in spite of his knowledge that he can't change the past. It's also extremely likely that the time-travellers' departure from this time period causes 'The Incident' and perhaps even ties into the Ben/Widmore feud and Widmore's eventual banishment from the island.

There are certainly other storylines to be discussed, such as when we'll meet Annie, who Adam and Eve are, and whether Sayid and Sun will join with the rest of the group, so feel free to discuss those as well.

As a final request, and solely if you have the time, I would greatly appreciate any critique of my writing habits that you may have. I'd like to improve as a writer and this is a fairly lengthy post, so I figured I would mention it.

excellent post. i have no comment but it was a good read and you've got some great theories.

How will Sawyer deal with Jack and company arriving on the island?: We don't know how much Sawyer has told Horace, so all we can assume is that he still thinks they crashed their boat on the island. It seems a little ridiculous to propose that he could say he finally found his crew after three years, and Horace might be suspicious if he's told that the crew that crashed on the island three years ago found another crew that crashed on the island, so you guess is as good as mine on this theory.

One thing is for sure: He won't take it very well at all. Like you said, he has found his crew for the first time in the series, and the 316ers just might screw up his niche he has created for himself (especially when we consider how much of a nuisance and outcast he was in Seasons 1 and 2 and his general "playing the sidelines" role in 3 and 4 without really touching base with the leaders of the old group). He will face leadership conflicts, love conflicts, general coping methods to everyone's new personalities on things after 3 years, and getting through the ramifications of being separated for so long (A big one, in particular, would be his seeming abandonment of Kate, from our [and perhaps Kate's] perspective).

These would be enough for a good set of interesting episodes of characters who were separated into different worlds clashing with one another.

How will they get back to the present with Locke and Ben?: Most people agree that Daniel will be the one to get them back (because of his knowledge and because of the scene from the pilot that showed him working in The Orchid-to-be)

I don't remember Ben being in the pilot episode (The first LOST episode). Or do you mean the first S5 episode?

As a final request, and solely if you have the time, I would greatly appreciate any critique of my writing habits that you may have. I'd like to improve as a writer and this is a fairly lengthy post, so I figured I would mention it.

Yeah, it was a great read. Well-written and organized, and the theories are excellent. Especially the one about Ben remembering those select 815ers. It would fit so well The List's creation and would reinforce his researching of each of them in S3. Your other posts were fine. Although they honestly don't leave me recalling anything notable besides supporting our theorizing in general, this one is, by contrast, quite commendable.

Last edited:
Yes, I was referring to the season five premier, sorry. Thanks for the responses.

Strange. Didn't think this thread would start dying like the rest of the lounge section.

But anyway, the latest episode (The "He's Our You" episode) was CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAZY. If Sayid really did kill Ben, then this show has completely blown my mind. I have absolutely no theories to explain this one.

Firstly, I swore quite loudly at the end of that episode! But maybe it allows old Ben to come back to the 70s island. Eff knows what else.

I guess this is what I get when I only watch Season 5 Episode 10.

I know this is a stupid question, but you know that guy in jail, Sayeed? (Can't pronounce his name). Is that other guy who looks like him his twin bro, or is he just having past thoughts of himself?

I've got to wonder, how did the writers convinced the network to let them do a plotline where a protagonist possibly murders an unarmed child on prime-time TV?

I guess this is what I get when I only watch Season 5 Episode 10.

I know this is a stupid question, but you know that guy in jail, Sayeed? (Can't pronounce his name). Is that other guy who looks like him his twin bro, or is he just having past thoughts of himself?
Dude, if this is the first time you've watched the series and you jumped straight into season 5, you really are going to be lost. There's no one else who looks like Sayid in the show, so I assume you're referring to the flashbacks. They have flashbacks in most episodes to fill in the character's pasts.

okay. it's because I just found it on TV, so I said, "why not watch it?" I'm going to start from the beginning now though.

Brownies14, although you'll be lost sometimes, it's okay to start with S5 as long as you're aware of the fact that some old event history and character-specific moments won't completely make sense. I suggest you finish Season 5 before you go back to rewatching, unless you're okay with watching the same show from two drastically different points in the plot at once.

Firstly, I swore quite loudly at the end of that episode! But maybe it allows old Ben to come back to the 70s island. Eff knows what else.

It could very well be that Ben survives. Even though Sayid is a solid with a gun, we should also account that the Island can heal and that Sayid might take young Ben in immediately after shooting him. Although he probably wouldn't have planned for it, it would certainly take some of the Dharma folks' attention off of him if he immediately rushed him to one of the Dharma-working survivors like Sawyer or something.

I've got to wonder, how did the writers convinced the network to let them do a plotline where a protagonist possibly murders an unarmed child on prime-time TV?

Seriously. I'm also floored that the networked allowed that dismembered arm from that earlier S5 episode with the smoke monster.

Last edited:
Brownies14, although you'll be lost sometimes, it's okay to start with S5 as long as you're aware of the fact that some old event history and character-specific moments won't completely make sense. I suggest you finish Season 5 before you go back to rewatching, unless you're okay with watching the same show from two drastically different points in the plot at once.
I'd recommend you at least watch the important episodes from previous seasons, otherwise you won't understand what's going on. You can definitely get away with missing a few episodes from the first three seasons though (e.g. Nikki and Paolo, Locke at the hippy farm, Jack's tattoo).

ABSOLUTELY start watching from the first ever episode. The show is much to intricate and sophisticated to watch it nonchalantly form the start of Season 5. Plus its worth it, trust me trust me trust me.

LOL it's near-impossible for him to do that before this season is over (he has approximately one month to watch over 115 45-ish-minute episodes). During my winter school break, it took me about 3 weeks to grind through rewatching seasons 1-3 to prepare for season 4...and I didn't even finish (had about 2-3 episodes left). That was extremely difficult. I mean, of course it's good to watch EVERYTHING beforehand, but...it's kinda too late for that option before S5 is over lol.

...that is, unless he has absolutely nothing to do and is up for taking very little breaks each day for the next four weeks.

Last edited:
Don't forget when Daniel was explaining the "rules" of their time jumps before. He said that what happens has happened and the can't change anything. Which would mean, that Ben was always shot as a child by Sayid, obviously survives and grows up to become the leader of the Others.

Which also means that when Oceanic 815 crashed on the island and Ben got a list of the survivors, he knew many of them already from his childhood time at Dharma (remember how he always called Sawyer James when everyone else called him Sawyer and some didn't even know James was his real name.)

It could very well be that Ben survives. Even though Sayid is a solid with a gun, we should also account that the Island can heal and that Sayid might take young Ben in immediately after shooting him. Although he probably wouldn't have planned for it, it would certainly take some of the Dharma folks' attention off of him if he immediately rushed him to one of the Dharma-working survivors like Sawyer or something.

We saw Sayeed run past Ben's body and off into the jungle. So unless he stops and comes back, then he's not taking Ben back for help. Plus the rest know he escaped and if he came back with a shot Ben, they would almost certain shoot him on sight.

So, who else is betting that Sayid's going to die before the show ends as karmic punishment for shooting little Ben?

Don't forget when Daniel was explaining the "rules" of their time jumps before. He said that what happens has happened and the can't change anything. Which would mean, that Ben was always shot as a child by Sayid, obviously survives and grows up to become the leader of the Others.
Given his mental state and his tendency to lie occasionally, I wonder if we should just take Daniel's word for it about the "rules"?

Back