Major League Baseball

2004 Red Sox?
You had your core...Manny and Ortiz, had ur closer, Keith Foulke
AND PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dont get into the ****in fake ass ****in bloody sock...so fake

I don't like the mets for one reason. SELF DESTRUCTION. Every year they look ok and you think they have a legit shot and then miss the playoffs. The NL East is going to the phillies again this year for that one reason.

Back to Griffey, wow he actually wants to play for the braves. Why, they have nobody even decent on their team.

The Mets had a bit of self-destruction, but like Nick said there were a lot of key injuries towards the end of the season that proved to be too much to overcome. They will battle the Phillies all year though, that much I am certain.

As for you saying you know a lot about baseball, that second statement was fairly ignorant. The Braves are mostly a young team, but some veterans and some quality starters. Chipper Jones, Derek Lowe, Tim Hudson, Jeff Francoeur, Vazquez, and Jurrjens just to name some of the more well known players. Throw Griffey Jr. in the lineup and you potentially add some pop to the lineup.

As for you saying you know a lot about baseball, that second statement was fairly ignorant. The Braves are mostly a young team, but some veterans and some quality starters. Chipper Jones, Derek Lowe, Tim Hudson, Jeff Francoeur, Vazquez, and Jurrjens just to name some of the more well known players. Throw Griffey Jr. in the lineup and you potentially add some pop to the lineup.

This is more or less what I said also, the Braves really are just missing a few pieces. I'd watch out for them in a few years, if some of their young talent pans out, they could be dangerous.

Ok, I can see things are getting out of hand.

Did the Mets screw themselves at the end of the season??
Yes, but...

The bullpen blew 30 saves altogether. You say that Wagner can't be there to save all those games, but you expect a team to be able to convert at least half of them, even without a closer it's still more than within reach. The Mets finished 3 games back in the division, hell if they convert as little as 6 of those 30 saves, they make the postseason.

The pen was the biggest problem, but there were also a lot of other problems, mostly injuries. Like really having 1 legit outfielder for probably 2/3 of the year in Beltran. Alou could have definitely helped, he's still good enough to win a batting title if he would stay healthy for once in his life.

Church was the MVP of the team before he got hurt, once he came back, his production dropped off a pretty good deal. Pagan also played a big role in the team's success up until he got hurt & was sidelined for the rest of the season. I could make a small case for Luis Castillo too, who hit .299 with the Twins & the Mets in 2007.

The key injury was definitely John Maine.
Between Jon Niese, Nelson Figueroa & Brandon Knight, combined records showed more losses than wins, not to mention an ugly ERA. Now consider the fact that Maine won 15 games the year before, if he stayed healthy & won 10 games, they make the postseason.

Its true, a truly good team can win anyway.

True in some cases, but not all. There's only so much that can happen to a team.
If Lester, Papelbon & Ortiz were sidelined as long as Maine, Wagner & Alou & didn't at least make the postseason, Red Sox fans would be making the same excuses...

Last edited:
Be that as it may, you would expect any other bullpen from a contending team to convert at least 1/3 of those saves, which would have been more than enough.

PS- It's been said for the 3rd time in a row. First by Rollins, then by Beltran, now by K-Rod: "We're the team to beat." I don't mind it coming from him. He's got swagger, the team needs swagger. Not to mention he's coming off a record breaking season. Just what the doctor ordered to go along with the nasty splitter from Putz that had Brian Schneider shaking his head in disbelief.

As far as the Griffey situation goes, ugh. It would be hard to imagine my all time favorite player playing for a rival...

Last edited:
If Lester, Papelbon & Ortiz were sidelined as long as Maine, Wagner & Alou & didn't at least make the postseason, Red Sox fans would be making the same excuses...

You can't compare Lester, Papelbon, and Ortiz to those 3. Alou is not even close to the level of the other 5 guys in the conversation and Wagner had not been great even when he was healthy.

enough.

PS- It's been said for the 3rd time in a row. First by Rollins, then by Beltran, now by K-Rod: "We're the team to beat." I don't mind it coming from him. He's got swagger, the team needs swagger. Not to mention he's coming off a record breaking season. Just what the doctor ordered to go along with the nasty splitter from Putz that had Brian Schneider shaking his head in disbelief.

Yea, im tired of all that talk though..just go out and play ball. And beam a few Phucks in the head ;)

Also some news for ya Sean, since only u and I are the only Met fans.
Reyes is not in camp yet...why you ask? Well his wife just gave birth to the 3rd daughter...damn feel bad for Reyes, 3 girls :crazy:
Also, Dan Warthen has been workin with Maine, to thorw a curve ball. Maine used to throw in back in the day but stopped.

Last edited:
You can't compare Lester, Papelbon, and Ortiz to those 3. Alou is not even close to the level of the other 5 guys in the conversation and Wagner had not been great even when he was healthy.

Honestly CJ, with that Wagner comment, i have lost a bit of respect when it comes to your baseball knowledge.

Ok the braves aren't that bad. They are trying to get younger in a sense, but honsetly they can't compete in the NL East. Back to the Mets, last year players like carlos Delgado had career years, but what got them dead in the end SAVES! Billy Wagner is a save god right. Anyway they did one thing right this offseason getting k-rod

In 2008, up to when he was injured, Billy Wagner was not having a great season. Granted I'm judging this by how he is expected to perform, but I stand by that.

Stats:

Wins-0, Losses-1, Games-45, Games Finished- 34, Saves- 27, ERA- 2.45, Runs- 17, e.t.c

At any rate, he was on pace, if he had not gotten injured, to give up more hits, home runs, and get less strikeouts than he had the previous 4-5 seasons.

Not saying hes a bad pitcher, I'm saying he was not having a stellar year. His ERA was around where it always is, but other than that, his numbers were slightly down.

Didnt know being 6th on the all time saves list made you "not a bad pitcher".
But 2008 you can argue, he was ace at the start. Then fell off and come to find out he was battling shoulder trouble.

Didnt know being 6th on the all time saves list made you "not a bad pitcher".
But 2008 you can argue, he was ace at the start. Then fell off and come to find out he was battling shoulder trouble.

I'm just speaking about the 2008 season. The fact that he has been incredibly dominant in the past only proves my point more that his 2008 season was not very good by his standards.

Should have rephrased this then

Makes it seem like you are comparing by career numbers

Last edited:
Back