Most over-rated game?

Everyone says how amazing Super Mario Galaxy was and I really just think that it was average. It was fun to go from galaxy to galaxy for a few days but then it just got repetitive and kinda sucked. Everyone says that it was one of the "must haves" for the wii. I completely disagree, It failed to meet my expectations.

When I was not too far into the game, I thought the same things and had the same gripes that you did. However, I pushed myself to keep playing and am so glad that I did. Maybe its because it was my first 3D Mario game, but I really enjoyed that game. Not only is it one of the most brilliant, innovative, and memorable games I have played; it's also fun in its purest form.

Medal of Honour Heroes 2 - what utter utter complete garbage , controls ok,nothing special - actual game - Garbage!

SSBB - Very good game with 4 people using the same console but try online and your in for a very upsetting time which in my opinion ruins the game.

As for a good single player game - am absolutely loving little king's story.

I'm not arguing or anything, but do you seriously determine the quality of a game based on its online play? For Wii!? Brawl has so much to offer, if you had given it a fair chance and taken in all of the features, you would have enjoyed it, I promise.:) But hey, you have your opinion and I respect that.

WarioWorld was overrated in my opinion. The platforming got old and the whole entire game became predictable.

Lets see..Halo, Final Fantasy games and Super Mario Galaxy. Yup.

When I was not too far into the game, I thought the same things and had the same gripes that you did. However, I pushed myself to keep playing and am so glad that I did. Maybe its because it was my first 3D Mario game, but I really enjoyed that game. Not only is it one of the most brilliant, innovative, and memorable games I have played; it's also fun in its purest form.

so you're saying that you have never played Super Mario 64?
I think most people will agree with me in saying that it is probably one of the top five best games ever. I have beaten that game countless times and it never gets old. You need to play that. Get it off of VC or buy an N64 just for that, it is worth it.

And i have beaten SMG (because my parents bought it for me with my wii so it was my only game other than Wii sports) but even still, i never felt an increase in the amount fun apart from when you could fly, but even that got boring. Overall, I was disappointed but that is just my opinion.

I think Super Mario Galaxy is one of the best Mario games ever made. It doesn't have the charm of Super Mario 64, but it's a great platformer nonetheless.

Mario Galaxy was very enjoyable, I don't believe the game was in anyway overrated.

Any of those half-assed made games that sell in the multi millions are the ones that deserve the overrated sticker. Production values seem to be a lesser factor when releasing games on the Wii...*sigh*

I agree with RivalDestiny. Quickly produced games such as Red Steel, Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, and all sorts of other games based off movies or television shows sell like a handle of Jack Daniels at an AA meeting, while unique and well developed games such as Madworld, No More Heroes, Zack and Wiki and Elebits have to shave their price tags to 20 dollars to sell half as many copies as Red Steel.

It's a sad situation really.

I totally agree with you, but you simply can't put the CoD games on that list. They most certainly aren't half-assed, and they earn every cent they make due to their great gameplay and replay value. But I'm talking about the 360 versions, I haven't ever tried the Wii versions.

I think Call of Duty: World at War for the Wii is extremely underrated. Keep in mind, I'm talking about the multiplayer; I would never buy a first-person shooter for its single-player mode because I would expect it to be mediocre at best, and that goes even more for a World War II themed shooter. The game's online mode has many levels and they are as detailed as they are varied. There is also a plethora of weapons and perks, not to mention an achievement system for each gun. Also, the damage dealt in the game is actually somewhat realistic, where people can be killed with few well-placed shots, unlike in The Conduit. For such an underrated and underhyped game, it might just be the best online FPS for the Wii so far.

all Halo games. They're good (i own 2 of 3) but they're not THAT good.

metal gear solid (all of them). i've tried so hard to get in on them, going back to them time and time again thinking i'm just not doing it right or something...but i always walk away with the feeling of "what the hell is so exciting about that?"

god of war games - again, like halo, good games just not worth the insane amount of praise they get.

EVERY damn madden game, ever ever ever ever. the amount of hype and talk that goes around a madden game is just astronomically ridiculous.

pac-man. it's a good game, and can be addicting at times, but i don't think it should have gotten so much attention as to warrant a "fever". mostly because while a good game, it's oh so redundant.

geometry wars....nah, jk. i myself love the hell outta that game.

that's all i can come up with for now.

As far as the Xbox versions go, I feel you all the way. However, the Call of Duty games for the Wii don't seem to have the presentation or detail that the Xbox versions have. However, Call of Duty 3 for the Wii is pretty decent.

A lot of Wii games to me feel like underdeveloped or mediocre games that try to compensate for their shortcomings by tacking on sloppy and gimmicky motion control. Ya dig?

SterCulius:

I don't agree with you on Halo

However, Pacman, Geometry Wars and Madden are on point. Those games are way too overhyped.

And Dart28: Your views on FPS are exactly like mine. I cannot enjoy a FPS unless Its online because the games feel too linear and predictable. Only a rare few appeal to me such as DOOM and Half-Life.

Last edited:
I'm glad I'm not the only one, but for me, Mario Galaxy is overrated. I actually didn't find it that fun. Yes, it was good, great graphics for Wii, but still didn't have that special something.

Also Mario Kart, I don't have so much fun when playing it as I do with other games. Even playing with friends. I haven't played it too much, but maybe because I think it's just the same of previous Mario Karts.

for the wii? i suppose mario galaxy. its a great game but i remember SM64 blew my mind a lot more.

Back