Nintendo ignoring online play.

braschlosa said:
The Xband that SixStringedStress mentions was one technology. There was also a satellite service called Stellaview.

The genesis had xband as well as a SEGA branded modem that attached to the back of the system.

Rep for SixStringedStress for remembering xband

Stellaview, there you go. Thank you for the rep, I'll certainly rep you.

wiizorer said:
i don't think nintendo is ignoring online play, if naything i think it's welcoming it

just nintendo style

If Nintendo-style welcoming is everyone-else's style discouraging, then yeah.

Forbes.com: Why is it taking so long for Nintendo to make its online game-play system as strong as Sony's or Microsoft's? People want to play Wii Sports with friends and strangers across the world.

George Harrison: People's ideas of playing online hinges on existing gamers. It means playing Halo in a massively multi-player way. The online experience doesn't have to be as narrow as that. If what you want is an aggressive game you can play online with your friends, maybe the Wii isn't the best fit for that. In our attitude there are a lot more people in our new expanded audience than there are traditional gamers. We think there's a social aspect in real life, in your living room for Wii sports. That said, we do have online games coming.

Sure, Mario Kart and Brawl (maybe), but when you tell people that they should go buy another system and leave you alone if you want aggressive online play, you're really saying something.

Nintendo seems to feel a lot of ambivalence for the feature, evidenced by delaying 3rd party adoption, not encouraging 2nd party adoption, and in the execution with "we're going to protect you--even if you're a 30 year old construction worker" Friend Codes, persisting lack of Bluetooth headset support, and in their Sr Veep of Marketing trying to increase the sales of other consoles. But online games are coming, it appears, in spite of what the company wants, not because of it.

xIcaruSx said:
Apparently all you need to do to get repped is use Wikipedia.

So what, why not? At least that's more work than what most people do on internet forums, asserting what they think is true without having legit proof.

There is a possibility that the Wii, like the PS3 and 360 can play it's classic games online. It's all up to Nintendo. I hope they give us some sort of chat room where we can meet. Nintendo will need something to compete with Home and XBL. If they deliver they'll secure #1 for many years to come.

Wade said:
Medal of Honor: Airborne is a 360/PS3/PC game. The Wii Medal of Honor mentioned in the press conference is Medal of Honor: Heroes 2.

yeah MOH Heroes II or w/e it will be called(still a working title)
is gonna be awesome online.
i have MOH Heroes for the psp and it is a great online game.
and i think it will be amazing for the wii.
plus MarioKart Wii Looks Pimp!

If nintendo did come out with headsets for online communication, coulnt they just make you put the parental lock on automatically when installed so you have to type the password in to unlock it?

Plus ssbb is going to be online..

Back