Official Brawl Tactical Discussion Thread

spiff-ssbb

WiiChat Member
Jan 23, 2008
Wii Online Code
8140-2366-3149-0356
For competative players i'm making this thread. i'm making a compilation of all the new techniques i've found via internet sources and through my own play. post your own and they will be added to the list once tested. comments/ questions on them will be answered on an asap basis. this is also a general brawl tactical discussion. no character specific tactics will be discussed.

on a side note it would be cool if this thread were to be stickied.

last note. the thread will tell you how to do the technique, not how to use them. for questions on how they are useful post or pm.

Hugging:
This is a change in physics from melee. With the disclusion of wavedashing onto the ledge this strategy is very helpful. simply run off the edge and press the control stick into the ledge and your character will auto grab the ledge.

Snap Cancel:
This is to cancel the hugging technique and can be used for mind games. just hold down as you run off the ledge and you will fast fall instead of auto grabbing.

Glide Cancel:
when doing a glide attack aim it towards the ground. this eliminates all lag frames after the attack.

Dash shielding:
You can no longer crouch cancel without lag (your character skids to a stop now) but you can shield as you run causing you to be shielded as you skid.

Dashing shield grab:
using the dash shielding technique press the attack button afterwards and your character will shield grab while in the skid. this extends the range of your grab as shield grabs have much more range than normal dash grabs.

Pivot Grab:
Another change from melee. if you are dashing and change the direction of your dash you can grab while you turn. useful for mind games.

Jab fakes:
note: spacies cannot do this.
after your first or second jab you can tap shield which cancels your character from going into the automatic rapid attack or triple hit as normal. you can then link it into any move you want be it another jab or a tilt. very useful for ike, CF, sheik, and D3

Fox Trotting:
using only the initial dash animation to move. this enables you to switch directions without the normal lag of changing directions from standard dashing. much like dash dancing but since dash dancing is so small in brawl this is more useful, though harder to perform.

Reverse Jump:
many characters in brawl have a stronger b air than f air. so to approach with your b air you can dash towards the opponent, tap the other direction, jump, then air control towards them. this makes you jump facing away from them but moving towards them. very useful. this was not possible in melee

DLX cancel:
note: i have not personally tested this technique as of yet
if you attack an opponent you can cancel all lag by beginning another move at they exact moment it makes contact with them. (this will be updated once tested)

Glide toss:
if holding an item you can throw it mid roll by pressing the attack button in the roll animation.

air dodge into grab:
short hop towards the opponent and with a properly timed air dodge and shield grab once you land you will minimize the vulnerability of your entry. note that you will still be vulnerable but for a shorter period of time.

Super Armor:
some characters have moves that are unflinching. meaning that if hit during the animation of their attack even before their hitbox is created the attack will not be canceled. they will still take damage but they will continue the attack. very useful to know which moves have this quality.
here is the list:
Bowser's D special
Charizard's F special
DK's fully charged N special
Ike's triple attack after the initial jab
Ike's N special once initiated (meaning while he's attacking not while he's charging)
Ike's down tilt
Ike's U special
Jiggly's D special
G&W's U smash once initiated
Olimar's D special
Wario's F smash
Yoshi's second jump
D3's U special

Last edited:
i found a semi technique with mario on final destination

kinda like edge hopping,

you jump down, then you jump to the wall that you can wall jump off of(underneath the ledge, towards to the inside of the stage)

wall jump

then coin punch up

nothing too special, but the coin punch gets more distance than height, it goes about as far as a coin punch, if you just dropped off the ledge and coin punch, but the height is abuot 2/3 of the height if he just dropped and coin punched

(definitely could have worded that better, but too lazy to change it)

^ thats pretty cool. i THINK i know what your talking about haha but that belongs in character discussion. i'm thinking about making another thread in character discussion for character related techniques. thanks though :)

i figured out a really good move to use agains ledge guarders (people who wait to knock somebody off the edge, then charge up and strike when the person tries to jump back).

you lure them to the edge, then grab them and throw them off the edge. while they are still in the air and outside of the stage, jump above them and use your characters Down A move to send the person flying into nothingness.
almost a guaranteed smash. (note: be careful to quickly jump back onto the ledge)

^ good call. i use that all the time. slight correction though its not always d air that spikes. for example IC and Mario's f air spikes but their d airs dont. this technique is actually on dojo though so i'll leave it out of the list if thats cool

Directional Influence? Is it still in Brawl? If so:

Done by immideately pressing a direction after getting hit. Instead of flying, it'll "fly" in the direction of the control stick... So down right after getting hit will make you "fly" down, instead of to the side (and to iminent doom).

yep its still in. more than ever actually. i havent figured out as of yet if you can still c stick smash di though. it seems to just do air attacks instead. but i'll fool around with it and find out. but ya with the floatyness of the game its more effective than ever

i figured out another good one.

when your opponent is a short distance in front of you, use your dodge move to dash behind them, then as soon as you can, use your character's Up B move to send your opponent flying. this especially works well when they have entered the 100% damage range.

Back