The "How not to Play Brawl" Thread

Axtlar

Del fuego he resurgido...
Nov 26, 2006
Houston Tx.
Wii Online Code
7688-9638-8193-7668
Hello, compatriots of Brawl playing!

This thread, as its name implies, will provide points of how NOT to play Brawl, everyone is entitled to their own way of playing and can do whatever they want, but, sometimes the majority manner of playing (yes, most of the people I have played play like this) gets annoying or just downright embarrassing, so if you do not feel offended by reading this and want to learn something new and get closer to playing like a pro, then keep reading, I mean, I am not naming any names simply because I can't; these are people I have played in basic Brawls online. Let's get on to the points:

Wiimote sideways: 2 is A, 1 is B

1. Do NOT spam on the A button (triple A hitting)- this is the one I have most seen people do(along with number 2), it seems like some only possess the A button in their controllers, thus hitting that button only, every chance they get they triple A you(hitting A three times consecutively), some do it right after you evade a smash hit from them, so that they don't have to take your attacks, others do it because they know those attacks are strong with the characters they are using (Ike, Snake) and they want to keep trying specially if you have a high percentage until they get you, which makes it seem anticipated, in other words, you know what's coming. Rectification: change it up, you can hit A twice and then change it up by doing a B attack, or a grab, and if you like hitting triple A a lot then refrain to using it once or twice when necessary to keep the opponent guessing what you're gonna do next.
2.Do NOT roll back and forth- yes, you know what I'm talking about, hitting shield and then moving left or right all over the place. This not only makes your opponent predict where you're gonna be(and could be charging a smash attack in that direction, albeit acting smarter), but also shows your inability to move about freely running or jumping, or short hopping (which is what I recommend), I have seen people use their character to move from the right edge of the stage to the left edge to get an item by ROLLING, wow.
Rectification: walk, run, jump, and short hop to your advantage, you have complete control of your character here, why do you choose to roll?
3.Do NOT run away from the fight-Come on, you know this is a fighting game, why are you running away from me and trying to shoot me from afar? that only makes me want to be more aggressive towards you in a passive way, of course, and you also look bad doing it, I would understand if you had 300 percent damage and got the poison mushroom, but that's not the case. Rectification: be hostile and aggressive when fighting(unless your opponent does this stuff, then be aggressive intelligently), be close to your opponent short hop around him with aerials.
4.Do NOT spam in general-Spamming means to do one attack over and over and over again; people usually do the already mentioned triple A hitting, but also just Smash attacks either forward(Mario, Snake, Zelda) or up (Zelda, Lucas), or down (in the air:Link), or also B attacks(Pikachu, Ice Climbers, Pit) which just get s annoying because for some reason these people when choosing them, think they are only able to do those B attacks, when you have more than a dozen of attacks to choose from,again, spamming makes it easy to know what you are going to do, so refrain from doing it, have some diversity in your attacks, after all, smash attacks if used various times consecutively *their power decreases, and your character's stamina decreases as well*Rectification:if you're Zelda, try to jump some more instead of relying on the ground for your smash attacks, if you are Link, try not to do so much of that down A smash attack in the air, it's predictable since you do it so high in the air as opposed to short hopping atop an opponent and doing it when they are trying to attack you.
5.Do NOT stay on the ground the whole time-You have a jump button, use it! some people only use it when they are falling, no! you can do aerial attacks, you can evade on the air, you can even keep people suspended in the air with Mr. Game and Watch's aerial up A, and play around.Also short hop, too, that's a good technique like I already mentioned.
6.Do NOT hit all over the place when I'm not even there!- Yes, not only do people spam, but they also do what I like to call "chance-hits" which in my own definition means to hit crazy like JUST to see if I am going to get hit, even if I am all the way on the other side of the stage, I call them chance hits because they are not precise calculated hits, they are just hits as they stand there, instead of going after me and hitting me. Yes, people do that thinking I am in front of them, or even if I am close to them but beyond their reach, they keep doing it thinking their attacks will make their characters advance forward and maybe hit me on the 6th time they are hitting (which works with some characters like Wolf and Link) but otherwise I just stand there waiting for them to finish, it seems people do it more when they are losing and have a high percentage, thus scared for their lives.Rectification: Go after your opponent and THEN hit them when they are at your reach.
7.Do NOT play as Metaknight-That is unless you don't do all these points above with him, then use him, otherwise, NOO, people that use him, only like to hit A like crazy, followed by a smash a smash attack (down smash most likely) and then run after you, grab you and throw you, followed by either up B or a B attack, not to mention their infamous up A up A up A up A...since Metaknight has lots of jumps, but then so does Kirby, King Dedede, etc. why don't you people do countless up As when you choose them? only with Metaknight, at least do countless down As and countless forward and back A, not just up. These players are annoying because that's all they do, they don't have a flow technique that has different kinds of attacks, no, they do the same over and over again.Rectification: have diversity in your attacks, I know maybe your way is easier to frustrate novices and maybe set a bad example for them, but if you are really a good player at this game, then you could follow my steps, and act more intelligently as opposed to a wild animal.

Those are my points for now, I will keep on adding more as I remember them.
Coming up later here: How to play(techniques and abilities that you didn't know of)
and How to use each character in a more successful way, if you want me to tell you in advance tips for a character you like, let me know and I will post in this first page.

Last edited:
Wow I didn't realize u were a pro maybe everyone should play like u and attack then block attack then block attack then block attack then block

lol thats funny. i'm not very good at this game so sometimes i choose pikachu and get below people and use the thunder attack i think it's B and down and hit them and they get hurt mega badly but other wise im usually mario or toon link.

lol thats funny. i'm not very good at this game so sometimes i choose pikachu and get below people and use the thunder attack i think it's B and down and hit them and they get hurt mega badly but other wise im usually mario or toon link.

Lol, that's cool, man, it's fun to do so for fun matches, you know? and yeah it is down B. I have yet to play you, you probably are good and too modest to say so, lol.

What are you talking about? Meta knight is one the weakest characters.
On the other hand, try playing a game where Pikachu does not spam thunderbolt (down b).

What are you talking about? Meta knight is one the weakest characters.
On the other hand, try playing a game where Pikachu does not spam thunderbolt (down b).
Well, that is exactly why I am fomenting for people not to use him, because they spam with him seeing as to how he is weak and unbalanced, and when I use Pikachu, I don't spam that attack, in fact I don't think I spam anything with any character except for aerial attacks maybe if my opponent in air bound most of the time.

Reading threw these I am happy to say I don't do ANY of these :yesnod: good list though. I am going to print this and put it in the brawl bible! ;) Or I could just print it and shove it in all the noob's faces.

Back