Pokemon X/Y

Some words will seem pretty random in pronunciation since they keep their foreign/old Engrish pronunciations, but it's mostly just a bunch'a inane bullshit and rules.

Truly proper English grammar is ****in' evil, let me tell ya... don't know 'bout other languages though, as I'm your average monolingual American derp.

We are getting off topic here :D

TOPIC BE DAMNED! This is gramm--... ... ... the intricacies of language we're talkin' 'bout here.

Some words will seem pretty random in pronunciation since they keep their foreign/old Engrish pronunciations, but it's mostly just a bunch'a inane bullshit and rules.

Truly proper English grammar is ****in' evil, let me tell ya... don't know 'bout other languages though, as I'm your average monolingual American derp.
And your still a Nazi of grammar.

i learn French for 4 years and English for 5 years (+the year in Canada, but that didn't change anything in written English) and I have to think much less when writing or speaking in English. As I already mentioned this could be because I live in an English influenced environment (words like computer, skating and all the relatively new stuff just stay English in German and some words like Handy (Cellphone) obviously got influenced by the Americans that were in Germany after the war) and watched a lot of English series' (German voice acting sucks in anything but Disney movies). My French is so bad if I don't have a minute to think about the sentence. We also learn German grammar in school and I can tell you that I know more about why you say something in a specific way in English than in German (I hope that sentence makes any sense to you :D). In English each verb only has a few conjugations (look, looks, looked, looking) while in German and French almost each person has a different way to say it (that's 4 conjugations just for present tense and as much for at least 2 more tenses). English has no "cases" (that's a German thing that changes the articles depending on the time, number, and person that you are talking about) English also only uses "the" while German has "der, die, das" just for giving every object a gender and there is "dem, der(die in a different case), den, des..." which change depending on the case. French is easier that way, but still more complicated than English

Just German articles:
58847d1362151711-german-easy-german-articles.jpg

(and the way you spell words is easier in German and French. There are clearer rules how you say a certain letter or letter combination)

Last edited:
At least German gives you more details when using their articles compared to simply using "the" for everything.

But if English was much harder it wouldn't be the most learned second language.
I think articles are pretty hard to learn especially if you are used to only use one. Most not native Germans that I speak to use the wrong article which actually makes it kinda hard to understand.

Since we're on this topic, I'm seriously tempted to play through XY in another language and see how it goes, since I can do that now. I'm not sure if you can change the language at any time, or if it sticks for the entire file. Obviously my first playthrough would be all/nearly entirely English, but maybe after that...

Yeah I was thinking about playing it on Japanese for the lulz and on French to learn it a little bit better :D And English for challenges, so that I don't have to translate the natures, abilities, attacks, and names in the updates. I hope you can change the language at any time...

I think XY could make me a bit better at foreign languages since I never actually took a language class. How much better? I don't know, really, I'm sure I can at least learn some of the basic words.

Hmmm playing or watching something in a language you don't know at all won't help with other things than a few words. I maybe remember one or two japanese words from watching anime and that is with subs. You won't have the english translation next to you. You could figure something out when you play the section on English and then replay it in a foreign language. It helps a lot if you already know the basics of a language.

You could figure something out when you play the section on English and then replay it in a foreign language. It helps a lot if you already know the basics of a language.
The basic idea right there. And no, I'm not implying that I would become great at a language by playing a bloody video game. Probably just a small improvement.

A friend'a mine just brought up a valid topic: where's the second Eeveelution?

In Gen 2, we got Espeon and Umbreon. Two types parallel to one another. In Gen 4, we got Glaceon and Leafeon, the former of which beat the latter. Another Generation later, we have Sylveon... and apparently that's it? Where's the Eeveelution that either counters or loses to the other new Eeveelution? If this new Eeveelution loses t' Sylveon and isn't a Dragon-type, I wouldn't be surprised if they're saving it for the reveal of what Fairy has an advantage over, 'sides Dragon.

... But since there's been no leak mentionin' a second Eeveelution, nor even a hint at one bein' in that Pokemon short for the newest movie alongside Sylveon, I'd say this sentiment has little validity.

Back