Smash Bros. Melee

cimbom

WiiChat Member
Mar 4, 2007
San Francisco
Wii Online Code
0299-0458-3575-5055
So my story is that I've been playing video games since back in the 8-bit days. the ps1 was my last REAL system. I took a break from video games and when the Wii was introduced it seemed like a refreshing system and different than any other console of the new generation or anything before that. Now Im hooked on video games again. I've decided to check out what I've missed in the past 10 years or so.

Smash Bros. gets so much hype so I picked up Melee.

I don't get it. Im a big Street Fighter, Tekken, and Soul Calibur, but this game I have trouble getting into. The Gamecube controller does not help either.

My question is, is there a learning curb with this game? I've given it a couple of chances, but for some reason I can't get into the flow of the game.

Everyone is making a huge deal of the upcoming Smash Bros. game and I don't want to miss out on the hype.

I think it's just not a conventional fighter.

You have to remember that the point of the game is not to inflict damage, but to shove them off the screen. In this case, I feel it redefines the genre. Most other Beat 'em ups are all about punching and kicking and pulling off the moves successfully and quickly, but Smash Bros is all about fighting in any way you can - throwing things at enemies, strategically making sure they cannot get back on the stage, using everything to your own advantage. It's made a little harder, when you take into account the triple jumps that characters can use to get back on the stage. The game is also incredibly easy to handle, it's just knowing the best tactics (which admittedly won't work for everyone) and what to do to win. Also the fact that it's 4 player means that you can literally be the best by KOing all three of your opponents.

In the end, it's just not the kind of beat 'em up you'd expect. No blood, no combos, no secret moves, just straight forward bashing and removing your opponents from the screen. (It would certainly make Jerry Springer more interesting if they had guests being thrown of the stage in such a manner, I can imagine one person doing a smash attack so powerful it make even Jerry fly out of the set).

Squall7 said:
I think it's just not a conventional fighter.

You have to remember that the point of the game is not to inflict damage, but to shove them off the screen. In this case, I feel it redefines the genre. Most other Beat 'em ups are all about punching and kicking and pulling off the moves successfully and quickly, but Smash Bros is all about fighting in any way you can - throwing things at enemies, strategically making sure they cannot get back on the stage, using everything to your own advantage. It's made a little harder, when you take into account the triple jumps that characters can use to get back on the stage. The game is also incredibly easy to handle, it's just knowing the best tactics (which admittedly won't work for everyone) and what to do to win. Also the fact that it's 4 player means that you can literally be the best by KOing all three of your opponents.

In the end, it's just not the kind of beat 'em up you'd expect. No blood, no combos, no secret moves, just straight forward bashing and removing your opponents from the screen. (It would certainly make Jerry Springer more interesting if they had guests being thrown of the stage in such a manner, I can imagine one person doing a smash attack so powerful it make even Jerry fly out of the set).

A great post, rep'd.

Yea, when you think fighter, you think characters that fill up 30% of the screen and health bars at the top. 'Smash Bros is not that. More people talk about jump tactics than combos, when it comes to 'Smash Bros. What I mean by that is, jumping isn't a massive part of other fighters like Tekken and Street Fighter; at least not as huge as it is in Smash Bros. Just as Squall7 said, you have to think about forcing your opponents off the stage. If you aren't into it, you aren't into it. I think it's a great game, and the new 'Smash Bros game for Wii, Brawl, is going to expand on the single-player experience as well. Even if you don't like the Gamecube version, I'd give Brawl a chance.

Thank you both for the great posts.

I understand the point of the game is to throw the person off the stage but what I've noticed so far (correct me if I am wrong) is that there is a button to hit, a button to pick up items, and a button to pull an enemy close. So there are no combos? I really want to get into this game. Im going to get SSB anyway.

I guess there is just a learning curve and I have to practice.

Thanks again guys.

thers a few combos up b/down b/over b/up a/down a/up a. all the combos are in the instuction manual

Last edited:
They said they'll demo off SSBB this TGS! Hopefully they'll answer all those questions about online mode. It would be great if we could view matches, chat online too.

sage they did? last i heard they said that they wouldnt, because it would distract attention from Mario Galaxy and i think Metroid prime. but i SO hope im wrong!!!

cimbom said:
Thank you both for the great posts.

I understand the point of the game is to throw the person off the stage but what I've noticed so far (correct me if I am wrong) is that there is a button to hit, a button to pick up items, and a button to pull an enemy close. So there are no combos? I really want to get into this game. Im going to get SSB anyway.

I guess there is just a learning curve and I have to practice.

Thanks again guys.
There are no 'official' combo's, but the point is to make up your own. First, you need to find the character that you like most (whether its their fighting style, or you simply like that character) and stick with them. Dont try to get good with everybody. After that, try to memorize all of their moves. Then, when fighting someone you can think of which move would work best for that situation. Then, after you send them flying off the stage, try to stop them from getting back.

I really hope you get into this game, because it is my favorite of all time. Feel free to PM me with any future problems with SSBM.

Back