Sony Strikes Back

Jonny said:
i honestly dont understand your jokes, are they meant 2 b offensive? :sick:
do a google search for johnny5. Your answers lie there and the 1980s movie responsible for it. Im guessing you are too young to know who Johnny 5 is then.

Nic7 said:
yes, in a "war" someone is always losing. It doesnt necessarily mean that they are going to lose though. In fact, sometimes the combatants are so busy planning for the later stages of the "war", they dont care about whats happening in the early stages. And i personally think that from 2009-2011 the ps3 will be the #1 selling console. But they might have dug a hole to deep by then to actually win the "war". Maybe at some point, it will be winning.

But as of right now, you cant say its not losing.

How do you lose when you intended the results? Sony want expecting nor intending to be the top seller at launch. They know darn well that their game selection is minimal and that their systems are more expensive, not ready for many consumers just yet. They said they dont expect to be out on top, and it just so happened that way. So can you lose when you intended?

I believe nintendo isnt even part of this war to be honest. The system is just too different from the 360 and PS3. If anything its m$ and $ony competing for the same target audience. Microsoft has a year head start on sony. Sony has sold more ps3s than Microsoft did on their launch periods. So whos really losing? Its too early to say. But PS3 is looking better than the 360 did at launch.

Last edited:
It takes 1-3 years to make a quality game. Developers can't just turn around and make a PS3 game spawn from blank space. They need time. Even if it's a port, they still need time to make it. If the developers abandon ship this early how will Sony get them back? This is what killed NGage, Neo Geo, Saturn, and scores of other systems. Game developers simply stopped making the bulk of exclusive quality games for them.

Capcom announced Lost Planet port for the PC and not the PS3. The PS3 will float or sink on their games. That's why you make a game console. I bet everything on one game. MGS4. If Sony loses that final exclusive game it's all over.

I think sony will see a boost in sales if they retain exclusivity to both MGS4 and Final Fantasy 13. If both games also meet fans expectation visually, gameplay, e.t.c and get good ratings win awards then PS3 will be a nce console to get...at least for a while. They need more great exclusves.

Last edited:
idk the saturn had a few good games that did save it from failure. most of those marvel and capcom games where on the saturn (im assuming everyone likes those games) but it wasnt enough to get sales.

They cant Strike back 1000 times as the numbers are the PS3 has less than 3 million units sold, while the Wii has 6.5 and is still sold out and hard to get and of course the 360 leads with abut 10.5 million units sold. So they can keep striking but it does them no good.

JerrodDRagon said:
They cant Strike back 1000 times as the numbers are the PS3 has less than 3 million units sold, while the Wii has 6.5 and is still sold out and hard to get and of course the 360 leads with abut 10.5 million units sold. So they can keep striking but it does them no good.

Im not so sure about what your saying!!!

There are SEVEN WAYS ON HOW THE PS3 CAN TURN THIS TIDE AROUND!

(1. Admit there is a slight problem. No one likes to admit they're wrong. And we're not saying all is lost for the PS3; far from it, in fact. But it hasn't been the best start especially considering that over the last two generations, the PS3 sold worse in the first six months than any other console, including the soft-selling GameCube. Rather than take offense or assume there is some mass conspiracy against them, Sony could turn the situation into a positive by asking and listening to the majority of gamers as to what it would take to earn their business. Sony doesn't need to save face at the moment. They need to sell systems.

2. Acknowledge the high price. I don't think I've encountered any logical person that isn't impressed with the PS3's technology. She really is a beaut. But the dancing around her high price has got to stop. Every time the system is mentioned, its price instantly becomes the elephant in the room. You want to get excited for the games, but your inner-economist just won't let you. Fact: Sony's console price doubled in just less than seven years since first releasing the PS2 for $300. I'm no expert, but that has to be one of the highest relative price increases in recent history. The short-term solution: acknowledge the high price rather than making excuses for it.

3. Drop the PS3's price, like NOW! The NPD aptly summed up the PS3's dismal sales last month: "While there has been good content available for the [PS3], there hasn't yet been the 'killer' title that tends to drive hardware sales acquisition among the broader audience. As the content ramps up, we're confident the hardware sales will too." Agree to disagree. There have been some solid games hitting the PS3 already (Resistance and MotorStorm, anyone?). The real issue is that it's difficult for most gamers to justify the $660 asking price (console + one game), not that they're waiting for games. It's doubtful that most gamers would even be willing to pay that much for the next Mario or Halo game. Hence, Sony seems to have underestimated gamers' sensitivity to high prices. "What should they do?" you ask. Drop the price by $100 right now then by another $100 six months from now. This tactic may be unheard of, and Sony will incur even more losses on hardware. But they're in it for the long haul, right?

4. Hire ninja lawyers to write more exclusive game deals. It has been said that Sony has the best relationship with third-party publishers and developers. But those relationships appear to be waning while Microsoft wines and dines developers away and early Wii success shifts the focus to a new, cheaper way of making games. Granted, the third-party exclusive may have lost its luster since the last-generation, but it still helps move hardware. Sony should bend over backwards to keep and woo publishers in their favor.

5. Promote the thing as a game console, not a supercomputer. Again, the PS3 is capable of doing just about everything besides filing your taxes. Everyone likes extras, but Sony needs to market the PS3 as its name implies: a play station to "play" video games first. Movies, music and other content should come secondary. If the systems ends up being used as a computer like the PS2 was used as a DVD player, all the better for Sony. But last time I checked, the PS3 was selling in the video game department at retail, so let's keep it that way. Either market the machine as a video game console or rebrand it as the Sony ComputerStation and sell it at CompUSA.

6. Make the system easier to develop for. To ensure that more games grace the console, Sony needs to help developers use the Cell processor, something it currently don't appear to be doing to its full potential. The common belief is that the Cell is difficult to develop on, thus its benefits are still untapped. If the PS3 processor is in fact twice as fast as the 360 and googles faster than Wii, Sony would be wise to bank on what its competitors are incapable of doing. To offset developer learning curves, how about waiving a set number of licensing fees to publishers? That's sure to get people excited to develop for the PS3.

7. More games, please! Assuming Sony gets the price to a more tolerable point, games are sure to open the flood gates further still. Though disputable, I'd argue Nintendo and Sony are tied for first when it comes to stellar first-party games (sorry Microsoft). Sony should start announcing and showing games like never before. Just show me Shadow of Colossus 2 or something of similar importance, and I'll be doing Chris Farley cartwheels. For real.

Sony has upped the PS3's chances already by keeping their feet out of their mouths, announcing the well-received Home, LittleBigPlanet and @Home folding projects, and showing off countless titles at their recent Gamers Day event. Even then, some dispute our hasty remedy. "I don't think Sony needs or wants a quick fix," industry analyst Michael Pachter tells us. "They're not worried about being outsold by the competition at the moment. They're in it to maximize profits over a 10 year period."

Yes, the 10 year PS3 lifecycle aspiration. But you can't last 10 years without first lasting five.)

Just Take A Look At GP

CyanRussel, I agree with your post. The PS3 is a video game system. It needs games. The dumbest move Sony made was getting rid of the $500 version. Any consideration I had of the system is now gone. If they price dropped the $500 version it would have sold far better.

sagema said:
CyanRussel, I agree with your post. The PS3 is a video game system. It needs games. The dumbest move Sony made was getting rid of the $500 version. Any consideration I had of the system is now gone. If they price dropped the $500 version it would have sold far better.

Yea, at least you get what im saying, i had a little bit of help or some help on this article but, this is basically what Sony needs to do, and if they dont do this, then think about what their future will turn out to be like!

Not picking on you or anything, but I feel you might be confused about how the system works.

CyanRussel said:
Im not so sure about what your saying!!!

There are SEVEN WAYS ON HOW THE PS3 CAN TURN THIS TIDE AROUND!

(1. Admit there is a slight problem. No one likes to admit they're wrong. And we're not saying all is lost for the PS3; far from it, in fact. But it hasn't been the best start especially considering that over the last two generations, the PS3 sold worse in the first six months than any other console, including the soft-selling GameCube. Rather than take offense or assume there is some mass conspiracy against them, Sony could turn the situation into a positive by asking and listening to the majority of gamers as to what it would take to earn their business. Sony doesn't need to save face at the moment. They need to sell systems.

This is wrong. Sorry. A strong beginning does not equal a strong end. Selling more consoles within the first few months doesnt mean a thing. Its a moot point when people assume its a usable excuse for how good a system is. Something good does not have to sell well to be good.

Lets look at it like this.. Sony has a console that they lose money on. All their plans for the PS3 are still in developement... why would they want the PS3 to sell well before their projects are ready for release? They dont. It doesnt matter at this point. Think of the ps3 as an early launch and you will have your answer. The good stuff is still being developed.

Sony at this point does not need ot sell more consoles, nor do they need to care at this point. Again, # of sales for the first year mean jack **** right now.

The old playstation consoles had slow launches but picked up later in the game. It is not unusual and people need to look at the road not the ground. To see ahead rather to see the present.

2. Acknowledge the high price. I don't think I've encountered any logical person that isn't impressed with the PS3's technology. She really is a beaut. But the dancing around her high price has got to stop. Every time the system is mentioned, its price instantly becomes the elephant in the room. You want to get excited for the games, but your inner-economist just won't let you. Fact: Sony's console price doubled in just less than seven years since first releasing the PS2 for $300. I'm no expert, but that has to be one of the highest relative price increases in recent history. The short-term solution: acknowledge the high price rather than making excuses for it.

Considering what is in the ps3, and the fact that the 360 actually costs more for a similar set up.. and sony has admitted the full package price is high, but its not the highest in console history. They said they do not expect everyone to buy it at first. It is one of those things that becomes accessable over time. Considering they lose $250 per console sold, and what the console will be able to achieve.. I would sy $599 is normal.

Lets face it, the ps3 isnt made to appeal to everyone at first, nor does sony care that its not at the moment. When the time comes they will do whats needed to sell it. Projects like HOME for example will include tons of secondary profit from advertising and intercompany relations. This is smart because it helps pay for sony's losses with free internet and console sales. This also means they can afford to lower the price. Sony is waiting till their projects are ready and their plans come to completion, then you will see a marketing campaign that will attract many.

If a company takes too much a loss all at once, it hurts the stock holders and the company so to take the losses they have is quite a feat. I dont think the majority of young gamers realize how the world opperates.

So since they admitted the price will not be accessable to everyone at first, I would say this #2 is pretty moot as well. Again we cant jump the gun, the system is still in its infantcy and thinking they need saving is silly.

3. Drop the PS3's price, like NOW! The NPD aptly summed up the PS3's dismal sales last month: "While there has been good content available for the [PS3], there hasn't yet been the 'killer' title that tends to drive hardware sales acquisition among the broader audience. As the content ramps up, we're confident the hardware sales will too." Agree to disagree. There have been some solid games hitting the PS3 already (Resistance and MotorStorm, anyone?). The real issue is that it's difficult for most gamers to justify the $660 asking price (console + one game), not that they're waiting for games. It's doubtful that most gamers would even be willing to pay that much for the next Mario or Halo game. Hence, Sony seems to have underestimated gamers' sensitivity to high prices. "What should they do?" you ask. Drop the price by $100 right now then by another $100 six months from now. This tactic may be unheard of, and Sony will incur even more losses on hardware. But they're in it for the long haul, right?

Read above:

Adding: Sony hasnt underestimated anyone I think. When you are interested in the long term, you look only at the long term progress, not the immediate. Again, sony's projects havent even finished yet. They do not expect a system that doesnt have their "gems" available to sell well for the price immediately.

Also consider this, the 360 is doing pretty well. How many xbox live users are there? Those xbox live users PAY money to play online. How much do you think they will spend over all? $150-200 over a 3 year period. Interesting that the PS3 costs.. nothing. They want to upgrade their hard drive... but they have to go through microsoft? more $. PS3 comes with an interchangable hard drive that works with PC hard drives. Thats much much much cheaper.
Wi-fi? Yeah costs more money but included with the PS3. In reality, the 360 will sneakily take more money from the gamer than the ps3 will.

I think that gamers 18 and up see the value in this, if they dont, they are stupid. Just, whats the incentive to buy a ps3 NOW? None. Gamers will wait till sony puts the goods on the table before they start to eat. The food is still cooking, so right now its merely a waiting game. THe ps2 was the same way. Real gamers will see the value, it will become more apparent over time. Everyone else just wants to whine about it because its the only thing they can think of.

4. Hire ninja lawyers to write more exclusive game deals. It has been said that Sony has the best relationship with third-party publishers and developers. But those relationships appear to be waning while Microsoft wines and dines developers away and early Wii success shifts the focus to a new, cheaper way of making games. Granted, the third-party exclusive may have lost its luster since the last-generation, but it still helps move hardware. Sony should bend over backwards to keep and woo publishers in their favor.

Lawyers have NOTHING to do with it. It's also not a relationship issue either. Exclusives cost money. Games cost more to make than they did in the past. Therefore exclusives cost more to stay exclusives.

Lets clairify how exclusives work. Say Microsoft wants an exclusive, they literally "pay" off a company to make the game solely for them. It has nothing to do with how good of friends they are or how nice the system is. It has to do with how much a company like microsoft can convice the developer/publisher to make the game soley for their system and take the loss of not going multiplatform.

Yes, exclusives is all about official bribing. Sony is making the decision NOT to pay a shitload of money to keep the games from going multiplatful. They are already taking a loss for using high end technology, why should they lose more.

No sony is smart. Why pay up the ass to keep a game exclusive when you are putting in blue ray, secondary advertising and user generated content? Blue ray, with its vast size is one step ahead of piracy. Developers are losing a ton of money to piracy every day. Online? incentive advertising to show off your products. Marketing is expensive, Sony offers a cheaper solution to this. User generated content boost a games longetivity... another incentive for developers.

The seeds have been planted. Ninja lawyers dont make exclusives happen, money does. And sony is taking the risk of letting the games go multiplatform or exclusive to microsoft rather than pay up the ass. They have good reasons too.

Look at the developer quotes found recently that show that developers are naturally drawn to blue ray's storage size. That games like MGS4 and Final Fantasy will not be able to fit on a small dvd rom. That games like Mass Effect and Gears of War had to sacrifice a lot just to make it possible to put on a regular dvd. Games like THE DARKNESS that is multiplatform, can and will offer more content for the blue ray version while the other versions will have content left out. Incentives my friend, incentives.

5. Promote the thing as a game console, not a supercomputer. Again, the PS3 is capable of doing just about everything besides filing your taxes. Everyone likes extras, but Sony needs to market the PS3 as its name implies: a play station to "play" video games first. Movies, music and other content should come secondary. If the systems ends up being used as a computer like the PS2 was used as a DVD player, all the better for Sony. But last time I checked, the PS3 was selling in the video game department at retail, so let's keep it that way. Either market the machine as a video game console or rebrand it as the Sony ComputerStation and sell it at CompUSA.

They are promoting the system as a home entertainment system that is open to moddability and unlimited growth/potential. I believe this is the right route to go, and for many its too early for people grasp it just yet. Nintendo promoted and marketed their NES as the ultimate home entertainment system, and it was popular in the 80's. Sony's marketing campaign hasnt really even started yet untill their projects are underway. Just watch and see what happens over the next year. There will be a few suprises. heeheehee.

6. Make the system easier to develop for. To ensure that more games grace the console, Sony needs to help developers use the Cell processor, something it currently don't appear to be doing to its full potential. The common belief is that the Cell is difficult to develop on, thus its benefits are still untapped. If the PS3 processor is in fact twice as fast as the 360 and googles faster than Wii, Sony would be wise to bank on what its competitors are incapable of doing. To offset developer learning curves, how about waiving a set number of licensing fees to publishers? That's sure to get people excited to develop for the PS3.

The PS3 is easy to develope for. The only reason why people say its not is because the cell processor needs CURRENT code. Many game developers are stuck in the PAST. They never bothered learning all of the recent stuff. The code is a lot easier actually, only thing is, those programmers just need to learn it and use it. Once they do that it will be fine and dandy. I would expect games to be made using the current tech, not old programming algorythems which limit the potential of a game.

Sony doesnt need to do anything, the game developers need to catch up, and they are. =)

7. More games, please! Assuming Sony gets the price to a more tolerable point, games are sure to open the flood gates further still. Though disputable, I'd argue Nintendo and Sony are tied for first when it comes to stellar first-party games (sorry Microsoft). Sony should start announcing and showing games like never before. Just show me Shadow of Colossus 2 or something of similar importance, and I'll be doing Chris Farley cartwheels. For real.
The more complex the games, the longer it takes for them to be developed. Games like Oblivion took over 4 years.. and I dont even consider that complex. Games like Wario Ware and Paper Mario take most likely about 1 to 2 years. The wii games seen today can be pumped out much cheaper and easier. Quality takes more time, and you will find some of the best wii games wont appear till much much later. Same goes for the PS3.

Thankfully the PS3 has quite a few big games coming up soon, and Im sure a lot have not been announced just yet. They do need more games, but their progress is normal, just like the Wii.

Yes, the 10 year PS3 lifecycle aspiration. But you can't last 10 years without first lasting five.)

Just Take A Look At GP

And you cant assume you know how its going to turn out when its still yet an infant. It was JUST released in Europe. Most of sony's projects are still in developement. Its more like people got the consoles early as a pre-release. So I think its foolish to jump the gun just yet.

Sorry pal, but your list needed another perspective.

BrandonMcAuslan said:
Short circuit is a terrible terrible movie...

.... and you sir can go to hell. Johnny five is the best damn robot.... ever... well second to the robotic recreation of Pamela Anderson... yeah so they are both fake but one runs off batteries rather than... ok cant say that here.

First off, this is stupid. First you say great games are what makes a console, then you turn around and say Wii is selling more so its the better console. So which is it, games or units sold? If you say its gaems, your full of crap cause the Wii games suck. If you say units sold then the PS2 is the greatest system ever made.

"I still love playing mario kart on my N64. Hows that for product life? Now only if I can find Mario Party 3." Thats great but how long were they making games for the N64? Not long. The product life of the N64 was a few years. It was to costly to make carts.

A lot of you are just, special. When Sony says "We dont expect to sell millions the first day." then you say "Well they didnt even sell a million the first day" you either have a learning disability or your a bad listener. Or both.

I like how you say what Sony is doing. "They are losing money and they dont want to, they are not doing as good as they thought they would" when they say "Uhm, well we kinda dont care about the money right now, we have sold more PS3's then PS2's in the same amount of time" Its nice to know you work for Sony and can tell me everything that goes on there. No, you dont and no you cant.

I dont know if its cause your all scared that the Wii was a last ditch effort by Nintendo but, making things up to make yourselves feel better is not the way to go.

Back