the history of the word "noob"

ranger147222 said:
(its a true story, but thats what i like to think how the word noob started)
No, your story is based on a true story, however about half of what you said was truth.

Personally, I found this story not only disturbing, but down right disgusting. Disgusting because of how you perverted a piece of black history that helped lead to "abolitionist cause" to the point that you had made a joke out of it.

It seems you know alittle about Mr. Newby, but instead of making punchlines of the story why not tell it how it is, trust me tell the truth about him as it is much more interesting than than your little joke.

Dangerfield Newby
It's true that Mr. Newby was a freed slave, not an escaped one, and you also failed to mention was that Mr. Newby had an agreement to free his wife and infant child from his wife's slave owner for $1,500 USD ($33,722.59 in today's standards). When Newby managed to come up with the money he then confronted the owner again to purchase them, the slave owner then requested even more money. So the frustrated Newby ended up joining John Brown's raiders in hopes of not only freeing his wife and baby, but his entire family.

John Brown is noted for one of the first, if not thee first white abolitionists in the U.S. (For those who don't know what an abolitionist is, is a fancy word for those who are against slavery and the slave trade.) Problem was Johnny was a bit of a radical, and his history is riddled with many controversial acts of violence. One of the most famous (and last) is the Harper's Ferry raid, the very raid to which Mr. Newby lost his life in his 'cause to free his family.

In attempt to make a long story short...
wikipedia.org said:
On October 16, 1859, the radical abolitionist John Brown led a small group of 22 men in a raid on the Arsenal. Five were black: three free blacks, one a freed slave, and one a fugitive slave. During this time assisting fugitive slaves was illegal even in the north, and morally unacceptable to most southern white communities. Brown attacked and captured several buildings; he hoped to use the captured weapons to initiate a slave uprising throughout the South. However, he and his men were quickly pinned down by local citizens and militia, and forced to take refuge in the engine house adjacent to the armory.

On October 18, United States Marines were sent via train to Harpers Ferry.[3] Under the temporary command of U.S. Army Colonel Robert E. Lee, they stormed the fire house and killed or captured most of the raiders. Brown was tried for treason by the State of Virginia, convicted, and hanged in nearby Charles Town. Following the prosecution (by Andrew Hunter), "John Brown captured the attention of the nation like no other abolitionist or slave owner before or since." The failed raid was a catalyst for the American Civil War.

Most who know about Dangerfield Newby are either into the American Civil Rights Movement, Black History, the American Civil War, and oddly those who are into the paranormal (ghosts). There is an old saying that "knowledge is power" and for that reason I am intrigued to be educated to the source of information prior to your "hypothesis" as it seems in fact that someone left a rifle with a primate Mr. ranger147222, and guess who is that primate? I don't make a habit of flaming users on here however for those who wish to turn critical racial history into a joke does not deserve my respect.

In reference to the paranormal the legend of Mr. Dangerfield Newby was shot in the throat and killed instantly (not a "headshot:smilewinkgrin:") by the local militia at Harper's Ferry. During aftermath legend has it that Mr. Newby's body was dragged out and stabbed repeatedly by the angry mob using rusty knives, then left for the hogs to devour his corpse. Some say the street where his body was mutilated is now haunted by Newby's ghost, to which is believed to still be looking for his family.

I'm sorry, but one of the things I cannot tolerate is this sort of blatantly ignorant humor about the struggles of American Black slaves. I seriously suggest that all of you who found this funny take a moment to actually look up what you are laughing at, as this very story was considered the pinnacle that lead to the American Civil War.

I have embedded a couple links provided, however I suggest google'ing topics such as "Dangerfield Newby", "John Brown", and "Harper's Ferry raid". This story is a very rich and if you like knowing even an ounce of history, this is one that you will find worthy of your attention.

jeez it was a joke i heard at school calm down jeez people here are all to uptight
and i said the STORY is true not how the word noob started

ranger147222 said:
jeez it was a joke i heard at school calm down jeez people here are all to uptight
and i said the STORY is true not how the word noob started
Again, your story was not true, and it was only partially based on truth. You managed to clearly omit fact and even added a bit of your own fiction in the process, even after you remove your "noob" hypothesis.

I recommend that if you want to poke fun of historic figures I suggest such brutal figures including (yet not limited to) Torquemada or Hitler, figures who have distinctly added to the bloody stain on human civilization, rather than using such figures to whom where brutally victimized by human ignorance instead.

I am glad to hear that the education system is teaching such topics in the schools, however I kindly suggest you pay closer attention instead of dreaming up controversial stories in which to insult them.

Thank you.

why Hitler huh? he was a great man think about it he took over half of Europe and yes in the process killing 6 million people if the harsh winters of Russia didn't weaken his army i BELIVE he could have conquered the world

^As if the harsh winters of Russia were inevitable.

You would think that such leaders would eventually learn to stay away from Russia...

ranger147222 said:
why Hitler huh? he was a great man think about it he took over half of Europe and yes in the process killing 6 million people if the harsh winters of Russia didn't weaken his army i BELIVE he could have conquered the world
Hitler's intellect is irrelevant, and previously you ridicule an iconic victim of slavery and now wish to defend a monster who initiated the brutal ethnic cleansing by means of genocide? I'm not going to entertain this revolting thread any longer, nor will I waste my time again hoping that an ounce of dignity exists within you, you have made that obvious.

I understand that you are obviously young and naive, however I highly recommend for your sake that you evaluate your mentality in regards to your fellow man and adjust your cruel and inhumane perspective on human society. Don't forget you are apart of that society. :shocked:

Lol jerry...and Kris you bring up good points and true points no don't but it really isn't fair for Ranger because you kinda cornered him telling him he was completely wrong...and that would make me mad too...just saying there was a nicer way to tell him...

KrisKhaos said:
Hitler's intellect is irrelevant, and previously you ridicule an iconic victim of slavery and now wish to defend a monster who initiated the brutal ethnic cleansing by means of genocide? I'm not going to entertain this revolting thread any longer, nor will I waste my time again hoping that an ounce of dignity exists within you, you have made that obvious.

I understand that you are obviously young and naive, however I highly recommend for your sake that you evaluate your mentality in regards to your fellow man and adjust your cruel and inhumane perspective on human society. Don't forget you are apart of that society. :shocked:
im not defending him he WAS a monster but i belive he was a really smart man in his days. I didnt say i agreed with his ways either you came to your own conclusion about that

thanks marioman

Back