Whats under the flap?

i0n

:eek:
Apr 30, 2006
UK
Just been reading through a few articles and forum postings that were written before the E3 announcements.

As im sure you guys already know, the media speculation over the 5th Nintendo console was and still is massive, but a few interesting points were never really clarified at E3..

Does Nintendo®'s revolutionary new game console sport some new virtual reality or stereoscopic 3D experience? What's under the secretly-guarded flap on the front of the console? Why does the console sit in it's cradle in a tilted position? How can a console with no HD support that only has only about as much power as the original XBOX® "wow!" us with it's graphics?

Much of the speculation regarding the 'flap' was in relation to a built-in 3D projection from the console, this was never touched on at the E3 show, but given the close copy-cat style of its competitors would Nintendo really want to be sharing all the Wiis secrets so far from launch?

I mean afterall what hardware we saw at E3 was infact specially manufactured for the show and isnt the final mass production version (they used gamecube housing for the demos). So is it really far fetched to believe Nintendo are keeping something up their sleeve?

"It's convenient to make games that are played on TVs. But I always wanted to have a custom-sized screen that wasn't the typical four-cornered cathode-ray-tube TV. I've always thought that games would eventually break free of the confines of a TV screen to fill an entire room. But I would rather not say anything more about that. "
Shigeru Miyamoto (BusinessWeek interview, November 7, 2005)

i0n, I can only dream. If this is true, then all I can say is wow!!! Will be keeping my ear to the ground in an attempt to catch the first glimpse of something official. :)

As small and light as they have become, there is no way in heck there is anything in there that projects an image, especially at the predicted price point. Fine with me too as the Wii will reside in my home theater equipment closet on my rack and not even in the same room as my screen.

phimuajedi69 said:
3D....drool.....

that would rock, but i would bet the price will skyrocket if that is true
You never know, it could be that Nintendo is offering a highly sophisticated console at a cheap price for the benefit of us and to attract consumer demand. :)

To see a projector in there would be awsome, though it looks more like one of those IR recptor thingys that go on the front of a VCR. Then I thought that it must be for the controller so u can use it for a remote. Then i remembered that the controler doesn't need it. So in conclusion, i don't think its for dertecting IR.

I agree that it would be great to see a projector, but I highly doubt it. The cost would sky rocket.

Could it be the SD slots or memory expansion? I cant believe it would be a projector. The cheapest you can get a digital projector these days is around £200 and they are like three times the size. Aslo the maintainance would be unreasonable changing bulbs/LED's etc. Not saying that I wouldnt like it though ;)

I just hope it's not something as lame as a speaker... Ooo, you mean I can hear my line being cast? W00t. Knowing Nintendo, I'm sure they'll do big things with that little speaker, though. At least I hope so...

One word: no. Everyone who thinks there is a holographic (or even 2D) projector can just dream on. They are not small enough, they are not cheap enough, they are not low-maintenace (there are no other compartments nearby, as would be needed to replace bulbs, and Nintendo doesn't take kindly to people opening their consoles)

Back