Wii's Graphics - What's All The Fuss About?

smashfan said:
i thought tp was a good game in terms of graphic..

I agree it was a good game also and while the controls were alright, they could've been alot better. I wonder if we will ever see a Zelda game or something in that genre where the sword play is done in real time (i think thats the right word.. maybe? lol) where instead of just a quick flick you do a full slash that the sword moves in sync with however far you move the wiimote - hope that makes sense.

What a fantastic article!! This really needed to be said and will hopefully make some people understand that they have to be patient. It's the best article I've seen written on Wiichat so far.

Well done.

What's interesting though is that if the Wii really is comparable to the Xbox then we should be able to expect graphics of the quality of HL2 and Doom on Xbox. Pretty ok.

The article said the Wii would be in the range of PS2/Xbox graphics...but was more powerful then the NGC.

The NGC was more powerful then the PS2, so it makes little sense to say the graphics will be similar to system that was less powerful then a system which the article already said was more powerful.

theres nothing wrong with wii graphics, and anyway, if its a good game i dont give a monkeys about the graphics, gameplay that counts

Very well written, great article. It's amazing how this subject still causes huge uproars. I agree especially with the part about art direction, it does have a huge impact on what the visuals seem to be, look at Metroid Prime 1 & 2, LoZ: TP, Okami, etc. They're beautiful, and stunning still, IMHO. I personally don't really care about graphics, in terms of polygon count, HD, or all that. If I did, I certainly would have never bought or played any PS2 game since Xbox and Cube came out, and because I had a high-end gaming PC back then also. It's funny how the Sony fanboys were screaming a different thing when PS2 was weaker than it's competitors, now that PS3 competes in processing power, suddenly "it's all about gfx". Hell, I'd even play a visually C64-level game now if it had something new and innovative gameplay-wise (and would be compelling in terms of story, etc. of course). I've been playing since C64, and now, 10 years after Nintendo made analog stick a standard in console gaming, I want a change. I don't want to play the same old games from the end of '90s on an upgraded graphics engine, on the same controllers. That's why I don't play much on my PC anymore, even though I have a high-end one. That's like eating the same few kinds of food day after day for years and years, only served differently, and possibly on a newer, shinier plate. I think the gfx that Wii is CAPABLE of, (as DazzeL pointed out, at least Doom 3/HL2 quality), are more than enough. And with a little skill and effort, especially on the art department from the devs, I say Wii could have some truly stunning looking games (at least IMHO, but I consider visuals to be a lot more than just high polycount and HD.).

Plus, finally, there's a console that can have a decent AI in FPS games without giving the player auto-aiming, not to mention the indefinitely better immersion and the feeling of aiming and firing w/ the Wii Remote, if done properly. And RTS games where you don't have to spend hours on a single mission, simply because moving camera, selecting troops via dragging, moving to build/command/etc. -menus in a hurry, with an analog stick, is a real pain and really annoyingly slow.

But, I'm not saying "Nintendo rulez" or any other fanboy-&¤%#. No matter which company would have done what Nintendo did with Wii, I would've felt the same and loved them for it. I'm just saying, as a long-time hardcoregamer, thank you Nintendo for the Wii.

Last edited:
LordArchantos said:
Very well written, great article. It's amazing how this subject still causes huge uproars. I agree especially with the part about art direction, it does have a huge impact on what the visuals seem to be, look at Metroid Prime 1 & 2, LoZ: TP, Okami, etc. They're beautiful, and stunning still, IMHO. I personally don't really care about graphics, in terms of polygon count, HD, or all that. If I did, I certainly would have never bought or played any PS2 game since Xbox and Cube came out, and because I had a high-end gaming PC back then also. It's funny how the Sony fanboys were screaming a different thing when PS2 was weaker than it's competitors, now that PS3 competes in processing power, suddenly "it's all about gfx". Hell, I'd even play a visually C64-level game now if it had something new and innovative gameplay-wise (and would be compelling in terms of story, etc. of course). I've been playing since C64, and now, 10 years after Nintendo made analog stick a standard in console gaming, I want a change. I don't want to play the same old games from the end of '90s on an upgraded graphics engine, on the same controllers. That's why I don't play much on my PC anymore, even though I have a high-end one. That's like eating the same few kinds of food day after day for years and years, only served differently, and possibly on a newer, shinier plate. I think the gfx that Wii is CAPABLE of, (as DazzeL pointed out, at least Doom 3/HL2 quality), are more than enough. And with a little skill and effort, especially on the art department from the devs, I say Wii could have some truly stunning looking games (at least IMHO, but I consider visuals to be a lot more than just high polycount and HD.).

Plus, finally, there's a console that can have a decent AI in FPS games without giving the player auto-aiming, not to mention the indefinitely better immersion and the feeling of aiming and firing w/ the Wii Remote, if done properly. And RTS games where you don't have to spend hours on a single mission, simply because moving camera, selecting troops via dragging, moving to build/command/etc. -menus in a hurry, with an analog stick, is a real pain and really annoyingly slow.

But, I'm not saying "Nintendo rulez" or any other fanboy-&¤%#. No matter which company would have done what Nintendo did with Wii, I would've felt the same and loved them for it. I'm just saying, as a long-time hardcoregamer, thank you Nintendo for the Wii.

Well said - this is something once people get into Wii games seem to loose sight of. The control system in THE main selling point in Nintendos eyes and we should focus on the benefits and immersion this brings, too many people seem to forget about using conventional controllers over Wii and how different Wii can be in the right devs hands.

As soon as there is a mass realisation of such then we will continue to have this conversation in one for or another.

You've misunderstood Zap2. Theres nothing comparable about PS2/Xbox graphics. Xbox are far superior. Hence my point. GC sits in the middle somewhere.

i think people should just realize that the Wii is NEVER going to be able to be on par with Xbox 360 or the PS3.

as soon as people get over that part. it's all good. but seeing as how people keep complaining about this particular problem, i'm not sure if people will ever stop talking about it.

I really dig the graphics personally. After not getting into the whole last generation of consoles, its all good to me this time around (sold an Xbox and a Gamecube, neither did it for me).

All I meant was
We all know the graphics arent that good
nd we all know about the gamepla
so why keep bringing it up
none of us really care about the graphics or else we wouldnt buy a wii

Exactly the point. A respectful gamer knows it is not about the graphics, it is about the storyline, the gameplay. The feeling you get playing the game. Go back to phantasy star series and you will see a good story but the graphics are not todays par that is for sure.

I look forward to getting a wii, but somehow I have to get rid of this current junk (PS2) I have to get money. But even than it doesn't seem to get enough on todays market scam....oh I mean scheme.

I admit that even though PS2 (in its day) had great graphics, the games were sub-par the nearer we got to the PS3. Look at them now, they are practically half of a game with content "to be released". Don't be surprised if you have to pay another $30 on-top of your $50 (or $60 in PS3's case) game just for expansions or added content.

The wii, even though it is a bit more expensive than "last-gens" systems it is still "cheap" compared to the other choices, which are not worth it at all.

So, in comparison, it is Nintendo takes the K.O. again in the gaming industry because they always focus on one thing. Fun.

Sure it's all about game play, but there is a rapidly increasing use of large flat screen televisions. When you blow up Wii graphics to the larger sizes like a 42" or 50" screen they not only look worse it starts to get difficult to distinguish one non-descript blurry shape from another. If the graphics really are as good as it gets I think the Wii will rise and fall rather quickly by console standards, especially given the rapid growth of HD television hardware. The control method is cool, but if anyone had bothered that could probably have been sold as an add-on for any GC, XBox, or PS2.

Back