Abstinence. Your views?

Can't you tackle obstacles and be committed otherwise? Aren't you basically saying a relationship isn't "real" until marriage is in tact?
Relationships should live on the principles of "marriage" whether you actually partake in that ceremony or not, IMO.

You can be committed without consummating a relationship...

I depart from even more strict religious people who say people can't even live to gether...I think living together is a great idea.

And your key word there is SHOULD..... If only should = do....

IF every relationship did that, then I believe sex before marriage would be alright (even though you'd get married to that person anyway).....but we're sinful beings, and that's just a fantasy.

People suck...the end.

Love is stupid, everyone thinks they've got the partner they're going to end up with forever and ever and ever like in the fairytales when it isn't. They take it for granted and rush things, basically.

I agree with Celeste on this one. If you love someone why should you have to have the marriage title before making love.

Brawny said:
You can be committed without consummating a relationship...
For sure, I just don't see what the point of that would be.

I don't know, I guess sex just isn't that monumental, ultra taboo kind of a concept to me.

Frogger said:
Love is stupid, everyone thinks they've got the partner they're going to end up with forever and ever and ever like in the fairytales when it isn't. They take it for granted and rush things, basically.
And then there are the cynical.
I've never been the ZOMG WE WILL B 2GETHA 4EVA I WILL ALWAYZ LUV U!~ type. I learned at a devastatingly young age, NOTHING is forever, NO ONE is 100% trustworthy, etc.

If you love someone why should you have to have the marriage title before making love.

Merge this with Frogger's previous quote...people rush it. And I'm more worried about the stupid teens, not the engaged couple here...

@ Celeste, I guess it kinda is to me then.

Last edited:
I contradict myself, there's just some people who know when it's actually real and some people who are just idiots. Actually, I think that the good human race can decide for themselves, they seem capable. But then again, these are the same people we're talking about who think they can handle their own alcohol.

u kno i can just say that i was raised diffferently probably... you guys probably have understanding parents lol in my house if you dont do what they say u dont stay in the house lol...

If you don't use it you lose it.

Sorry but I say "get it on" while you can.
Save the good stuff for after the wedding :) :thumbsup:

Desi_Wii_G said:
u kno i can just say that i was raised diffferently probably... you guys probably have understanding parents lol in my house if you dont do what they say u dont stay in the house lol...

Does only having one parent affect my views? Ahaha.

I might have a slightly different view on marriage if the divorce rate wasn't astronomical, and if same-sex couples could marry. I'm bisexual so who knows who I'll ultimately end up with. I'd like to have the option of marriage just incase my partner finds it absolutely neccessary, since I can compromise :p

Marriage doesn't really mean a whole lot to me. In my opinion, it is just a lot of money spent in order to have a "title" as husband and wife. If people in relationships don't follow the rules of marriage, than they shouldn't be together in the first place (ie: no cheating, respecting one another, sticking together through thick and thin, etc...).

So...(in my opinion), since marriage is just a title, abstinence is kind of a ridiculous concept to me. Sex occurs when both parties are good and ready (unless alcohol or drugs are involved :wink:). I understand that some people are ready to handle the responsibility that may come with sex and that is completely fine and they should, in no way, be ridiculed or made fun of.

What I'm getting to here is that I think abstinence is one of those crazy rules that the church made up. If you don't want to think for yourself and just do what a book tells you to do, then by all means be "abstinent". If you want to make an educated decision, then just imagine the consequences of sex (kids, STD's, emotional issues) and figure out if you are ready to handle those things. That kind of stuff usually scares people off from sex, but if you completely trust your partner and are ready to take on the world together...then you are ready!

For the creator of this thread...it sounds like you are not ready (which isn't a bad thing...your gf will probably respect you if you talk to her about this). I was in your spot about 5 years ago while in high school and playing hockey. All of my teammates were talking about the girls they were with and that never really appealed to me...I just wanted one girl to be with and not brag about to my teammates.

If you have any questions...feel free to PM me

That last point, Celeste, would make me think you AGREED with abstinence.

Now it comes down to, which causes which?

I say free-sex -> Bad marriages

If sex is thought to be non-committed, then why is having sex always assumed by stupid people that they are "loved"?

Brawny said:
That last point, Celeste, would make me think you AGREED with abstinence.
>.< I guess it came out wrong, haha. What I was basically saying is I'm bitter that marriage derrived through religion and therefore excludes certain people. I don't feel there's any worth in it, but IF my partner felt the need to get married, I'd compromise and do it to make them happy, however there's a slight chance (due to my orientation) that that wouldn't even be possible.

Back