“Active” Gaming No Replacement for Exercise

^I don't buy that crap. Even if you weigh 400 lbs, you could only injure yourself through extremely intense and continuous cardiovascular stress, not through a jog through the park.

You'll find an excuse for anything if you're LOOKING for one.

It's not like fat guys and nerds everywhere are rejoicing that they can get fit w/o leaving their house or anything, it's just an active game.

LevesqueIsKing said:
^I don't buy that crap. Even if you weigh 400 lbs, you could only injure yourself through extremely intense and continuous cardiovascular stress, not through a jog through the park.

You'll find an excuse for anything if you're LOOKING for one.

jogging is high impact and can cause various type of tissue damage if your are overweight.

Just because you lift weights at a gym doesn't mean you know everything about keeping fit....

haha!

Jogging is high impact? I'm not afraid to admit that I watch the biggest loser, and throughout four seasons I can't recall anyone ever having 'tissue damage' due to the stress of their 'high impact' jogging.

Keep in mind that these are all obese and morbidly obese individuals.

Unless you know someone that works out via wii sports, I doubt you can come up with a valid arguement for it... :O

LevesqueIsKing said:
haha!

Jogging is high impact? I'm not afraid to admit that I watch the biggest loser, and throughout four seasons I can't recall anyone ever having 'tissue damage' due to the stress of their 'high impact' jogging.

Keep in mind that these are all obese and morbidly obese individuals.

yes, jogging is high impact, especially if you are overweight, think about it, your are constantly 'jumping' from one foot to the next! Anyway, you obviously like to think you know it all, so I will let you carry on thinking it as I have better things to do than argue on an internet forum.

You're right, I do think quite highly of myself.

I just know that too many people are way too cautious. If jogging is high impact, what does that make anaerobic exercise? People underestimate their capabilities and use myths as an excuse to not do work. The chances of any obese person having any major problems with taking a brisk jog are very minimal, humanity just likes to exploit the severity of such problems.

stumac1985 said:
jogging is high impact and can cause various type of tissue damage if your are overweight.

Just because you lift weights at a gym doesn't mean you know everything about keeping fit....
Jogging is indeed high impact, cycling is a much better low impact exercise. I know as i had a serious knee injury and wasn't allowed to jog hardly at all during my recovery. Just out of interest, although everyone probably knows, the guy who invented jogging actually died at a young age from heart failure.

Wii Fit is supposed to be suprisingly more strenuous than you might imagine, people who were quite fit and used it have said even standing still uses more muscles than you would think.

The guy who invented jogging died from heart failure...

Invented jogging...

Don't you think the first man who ever walked the earth would have jogged at some point in his life? You know, maybe he needed something inbetween 'ub3r slow' and 'zomg itza T-rex'...

yes, jogging is high impact. However if you are morbidly obese to the point where jogging causes tissue damage, you don't need to be playing with a Wii to get fit. It's not going to happen. Old people a good stretch and people who have had broken legs and need to rebuild atrophied muscles.. sure.. Morbidly obese fat ass who can't stop putting twinkies in their mouths.. Don't think so. I've been 250 pounds and i was able to jog for football(and alot more than that).. yeah it sucked at first but by senior year i was in good shape.

LevesqueIsKing said:
You're right, I do think quite highly of myself.

I just know that too many people are way too cautious. If jogging is high impact, what does that make anaerobic exercise? People underestimate their capabilities and use myths as an excuse to not do work. The chances of any obese person having any major problems with taking a brisk jog are very minimal, humanity just likes to exploit the severity of such problems.

Ok, you honestly need to stop right now. I'm not going to get into a whole internet forum flame battle or anything, but you have no idea what you are talking about. I said it before, I am a former college athlete, have a degree in physical therapy with an undergrad in sports medicine, have worked with a high profile division 1 hoops team, and have over 5 years practical experience in the field of kinesiology/sports medicine/ and human performance study--everything you are feeding people in this forum is misinformed.

I respect the fact that you probably go to the gym, do a lot of power lifting, play high school football, and consider yourself healthy and fit, but please do not even get on here and start using words like anaerobic thinking it makes you sound scientific, and then say things like jogging is not a high impact activity for someone overweight (even those who are not). Do you even understand basic kinesiology? Do you know basic body physics?

Aerobic exercise is the #1 most important form of excercise anyone can get. Not only do you tone your body, increase cardio activity-decreasing the risk of heart disease (the #1 cause of death), but it builds LEAN muscle tissue. Here's a fun fact for you- lean muscle tissue burns 99% of fat in the body. Aerobic exercise also lowers bad cholestoral and your blood pressure. The whole process builds ATP in the body- go google ATP and see just how important it is in ones physical fitness.Anaerobic excersise is key for bulking up, building muscle, and storing energy for explosive events (sprints, power lifts, etc).

No one here is trying to say "buy a Wii, lose 400 lbs", but results like that are not out of the realm of possibility. The Wii is a phenominal piece of equipment that can help individuals maintain a cardio regimen, burn calories, and stay in shape- IF USED CORRECTLY. Hospitals throughout the United States are currently integrating the wii into physical therapy and rehab programs...to help those with weaknesses in certain areas STRENGTHEN those areas..and some hospitals are actually writing Wii sports specific programs specifically for stroke victims, and others who suffer from paralysis in order to tone and strengthen musle in effected areas (the hospital I work at).

Again, I'm not in here to start arguing with people that have no idea about how the human body works, and think they are experts in all thingsfitnesss because they go to the gym, or are in high school. The bottom line is that the Wii, especially Wii sports, and the upcoming Wii fit, are great ways for people to workout, get some cardio exercise, lose some weight, and get healthy. Every individual reacts to exercise in their own way, and there is no miracle cure for obesity- anything you can do to get exercise is good.

Go powerlift and make yourself feel good about exercising gentlemen. To everyone else, please don't buy into what these guys are trying to sell.If you get on your Wii, work up a sweat, and are feeling sore in the moarning, keepup the good work. You are making yourself healthier, and are going to get health benefits out of it. Some people just can't compute how anyone could be "fit", or getting any health benefits without lifting weights--probably the same type of guys that take creatine, muscle milk, and other supliments that damage the liver and cardiovascular tissue in your body.

GThwaite said:
yes, jogging is high impact. However if you are morbidly obese to the point where jogging causes tissue damage, you don't need to be playing with a Wii to get fit. It's not going to happen. Old people a good stretch and people who have had broken legs and need to rebuild atrophied muscles.. sure.. Morbidly obese fat ass who can't stop putting twinkies in their mouths.. Don't think so. I've been 250 pounds and i was able to jog for football(and alot more than that).. yeah it sucked at first but by senior year i was in good shape.

Morbidly obese people are not the only ones who suffer from ligament and cartilage damage from high impact events like jogging. Anyone..I repeat, anyone, is at risk for internal injury depending on that persons genetics, bone mass, muscle mass, and total body mass when engaging in any high impact activity. Ever wonder how some of the best conditioned athletes end up tearing hamstrings, quads, or knee ligaments just by running on a football field or basketball court?

The reason you lost the weight when you were jogging had nothing to do with the physical activity of the running, but rather the fact you were creating mass amounts of ATP due to how much oxygen your body was taking in, and how your heart was working harder to maintain the flow of oxygen in your bloodstream. You would have gotten the same results by punching a bag, jumping rope, jumpingjacks, or any other aerobic activity that produced ATP.

So based on your thinking, people paralyzed from the waist down are more or less unhealthy and out of shape. Ever wonder why para-athletes are in such good shap? They sure as heck aren't jogging.

Bumble14 said:
So based on your thinking, people paralyzed from the waist down are more or less unhealthy and out of shape. Ever wonder why para-athletes are in such good shap? They sure as heck aren't jogging.

Sure as heck ain't playing wii boxing, either.

I'm not saying you can't do jumping jacks and or other aerobics, but bobbing and swaying just doesn't go a good enough job. Jogging is just the beginning, you can't just play video games, I'm sorry but you can't. It's over, the cats out of the bag, you can't get a good workout playing a video game. Wiifit would be the only viable choice you could do. Wii sports is not a substitute for SPORTS. It's a good stretch, a good warm up, but it's just not excercise!

Last edited:
GThwaite said:

I'm not saying you can't do jumping jacks and or other aerobics, but bobbing and swaying just doesn't go a good enough job. Jogging is just the beginning, you can't just play video games, I'm sorry but you can't. It's over, the cats out of the bag, you can't get a good workout playing a video game. Wiifit would be the only viable choice you could do. Wii sports is not a substitute for SPORTS. It's a good stretch, a good warm up, but it's just not excercise!

you say you cant get fit just playing video games then say you could by playing wii fit... make up your mind :rolleyes:

GThwaite said:

No one was ever saying Wii sports is a viable alternative to playing sports, the question here was can the wii provide a viable workout--and it can. And about Wii boxing, if played with the proper intensity, and proper form, you can get phenominal results in terms of cardiovascular exercise, and lean tissue building in your upper body. "Bobbing and swaying" is a great way to work out-just look at several fitness routines based around dance, and even step aerobics or Tae Bo--those certainly involve a lot of bobbing and swaying, and havebeen proven to provide great cardio workouts.

I don't think you quite understand you can get a tremendous total body workout that burns fat and builds muscle with little more than a chair-it's called a manual resistance workout, and almost every professional sports team uses these workouts to decrease muscle stress and to develop lean muscle tissue quickly. It's all about your dicipline to perform the workout in the right way, and perform repetitions at the proper speed.

You need to understand that "exercise" and getting in shape (aka burning fat) does not have to involve powerlifting, sprinting, and mile runs. You can get a "GOOD" workout with Wii sports, it's just how you utilize the movements. End of story.....

Last edited:
Back