“Active” Gaming No Replacement for Exercise

^He didn't lose 120 lbs. by playing DDR. He lost 120 lbs. by eating a healthy diet, perhaps taking part in cardiovascular exercise and then might have thrown a bit of DDR into the mix.

Bumble14 said:
Ok, you honestly need to stop right now. I'm not going to get into a whole internet forum flame battle or anything, but you have no idea what you are talking about. I said it before, I am a former college athlete, have a degree in physical therapy with an undergrad in sports medicine, have worked with a high profile division 1 hoops team, and have over 5 years practical experience in the field of kinesiology/sports medicine/ and human performance study--everything you are feeding people in this forum is misinformed.

I respect the fact that you probably go to the gym, do a lot of power lifting, play high school football, and consider yourself healthy and fit, but please do not even get on here and start using words like anaerobic thinking it makes you sound scientific, and then say things like jogging is not a high impact activity for someone overweight (even those who are not). Do you even understand basic kinesiology? Do you know basic body physics?

Aerobic exercise is the #1 most important form of excercise anyone can get. Not only do you tone your body, increase cardio activity-decreasing the risk of heart disease (the #1 cause of death), but it builds LEAN muscle tissue. Here's a fun fact for you- lean muscle tissue burns 99% of fat in the body. Aerobic exercise also lowers bad cholestoral and your blood pressure. The whole process builds ATP in the body- go google ATP and see just how important it is in ones physical fitness.Anaerobic excersise is key for bulking up, building muscle, and storing energy for explosive events (sprints, power lifts, etc).

No one here is trying to say "buy a Wii, lose 400 lbs", but results like that are not out of the realm of possibility. The Wii is a phenominal piece of equipment that can help individuals maintain a cardio regimen, burn calories, and stay in shape- IF USED CORRECTLY. Hospitals throughout the United States are currently integrating the wii into physical therapy and rehab programs...to help those with weaknesses in certain areas STRENGTHEN those areas..and some hospitals are actually writing Wii sports specific programs specifically for stroke victims, and others who suffer from paralysis in order to tone and strengthen musle in effected areas (the hospital I work at).

Again, I'm not in here to start arguing with people that have no idea about how the human body works, and think they are experts in all thingsfitnesss because they go to the gym, or are in high school. The bottom line is that the Wii, especially Wii sports, and the upcoming Wii fit, are great ways for people to workout, get some cardio exercise, lose some weight, and get healthy. Every individual reacts to exercise in their own way, and there is no miracle cure for obesity- anything you can do to get exercise is good.

Go powerlift and make yourself feel good about exercising gentlemen. To everyone else, please don't buy into what these guys are trying to sell.If you get on your Wii, work up a sweat, and are feeling sore in the moarning, keepup the good work. You are making yourself healthier, and are going to get health benefits out of it. Some people just can't compute how anyone could be "fit", or getting any health benefits without lifting weights--probably the same type of guys that take creatine, muscle milk, and other supliments that damage the liver and cardiovascular tissue in your body.
*Sees length of post*
*Reads first sentence*
*Chuckles*

Okay seriously...
1. I don't play football.

I credit your depth of knowledge, but I know the difference between aerobic and anaerobic exercise [basically first three paragraphs]. And wow, I'm no scientist, there's no need to throw punches.

[fourth paragraph] I don't see the point of comparing 'staying in shape' to physical therapy. My sister is a physical therapist and her office purchased a wii quite a few months ago. It can accomplish phenominal things in those circumstances because those people are trying to rebuild their ROM and basic muscle strength.

Okay, I'm done after the first paragraph of the fifth paragraph. If you want to be that freaking immature than you can. That's low.

LevesqueIsKing said:
^He didn't lose 120 lbs. by playing DDR. He lost 120 lbs. by eating a healthy diet, perhaps taking part in cardiovascular exercise and then might have thrown a bit of DDR into the mix.

*Sees length of post*
*Reads first sentence*
*Chuckles*

Okay seriously...
1. I don't play football.

I credit your depth of knowledge, but I know the difference between aerobic and anaerobic exercise [basically first three paragraphs]. And wow, I'm no scientist, there's no need to throw punches.

[fourth paragraph] I don't see the point of comparing 'staying in shape' to physical therapy. My sister is a physical therapist and her office purchased a wii quite a few months ago. It can accomplish phenominal things in those circumstances because those people are trying to rebuild their ROM and basic muscle strength.

Okay, I'm done after the first paragraph of the fifth paragraph. If you want to be that freaking immature than you can. That's low.

Read your sig: "Got a question about lifting? Need somewhere to start? Send a PM my way."---hence why I included the last paragraph. Do you really think you are qualified to be giving lifting advice? Honestly? Are you a certified weight trainer? Personal trainer?

And about the highlighted statement, you have validated the point that the Wii is a viable form of exercise that can build lean muscle tissue. What I would like to add to that statement is that the Wii can also be used by those who are looking for a way to work existing muscle tissue, stay in shape, burn calories, and stay cardio healthy.

You guys have the weighlifter mentality of "more, more, more" (I.E If you'renotmaxing your bench every day and adding more, then you are not getting a workout--and this is not the case in exercise. As long as you havea program of steady, consistant, proper workouts,you will see great results.

Last edited:
well ur not gonnna work up a sweat by playing mario galaxy or super paper mario but all games that get you off teh couch nd moving increase your so called exercise even swordfighting games that are 1:1 i imagine would give u a sweat.

The irony of the situation is that you were just trying to accuse me of manipulating the people with 'big words.' You're over-complicating a very simple subject.

Consume more calories [after burnt calories are subtracted] than maintenance = weight gain
Consume less calories [after burnt calories are subtracted] than maintenance = weight loss

I'm sorry, I must have forgot where WiiSports fit in there. Getting people's hopes up by telling them that they can lose weight through wiisports is nothing short of cruel. WiiSports may burn a few calories here and there, but what is that going to amount to?

Who the hell do you think you are? You're telling me what I can and can't put into my signature? You're telling me that I can't help the general public stay away from bodybuilding myths? Honestly, why do you think you're so special? Because you can [attempt] to overwhelm me with your college knowledge of weight maintenance THAT DOESN'T EVEN APPLY IN THIS SITUATION?

The insults are getting old and are proving not only your immaturity, but your idiocracy. In the real world, your happy-go-lucky workouts DO NOT WORK. Try going onto a bodybuilding forum and spewing this crap, you'll get banned in nothing flat. You can read and study all you want, but all that matters in reality is EXPERIENCE. Try telling an olympic powerlifter that he shouldn't be eating so much, because your little college book says so.

You don't know this sport until you experience it. You don't know this sport until you puke from eating too much. You don't know this sport until you have stretch marks from gaining weight too fast. You can tell me that you don't like how I do things, you can tell me that I won't go anywhere, but you DO NOT TELL ME WHAT TO DO WHEN I'VE GIVEN UP SO MUCH FOR THIS SPORT. I'd suggest that you stop talking right now, because when you made the jump from your 'high impact jogging' into my playground, you made a huge mistake.

Calm down.

P.S. I recommend you read up on Arthur Jones as it will be some very interesting information since you are into bodybuilding. I prescribe to his philosophies as that is how I was trained-plus he looks like Super Mario.

LevesqueIsKing said:
They could very easily throw a bunch of gimmicky aerobic bs into the game It would be POSSIBLE to do with SOME aerobic exercises

And thats ecactly what Im saying. And I agree with you on the rest.

What you 2 ( the 2 body builders ) seek in a good exercise cant be found on the Wii.

Last edited:
LevesqueIsKing said:
...You don't know this sport until you experience it. You don't know this sport until you puke from eating too much. You don't know this sport until you have stretch marks from gaining weight too fast...

Puking and stretch marks, good way to sell it. Have fun with that "sport".

LevesqueIsKing, back off about what you don't know about. Obviously Bumble14 knows what he's talking about, and I agree, the Wii isn't MEANT for exercise, but can be used for it. Maybe in the future exercise will be easier to do to cater to the obesity of america. I've never wii'd for exercise but I bet there are people that do. Jogging is a good way to build endurance but I've never seen an obese person jog at all... Maybe stuff like the wii would be good for them? I dunno, but I'd listen to what Bumble14 is saying :p

Hate to make you look foolish.. but..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7155342.stm

You see.. That's not done by some kid who thinks he knows something.. That's done by the BBC.. By SCIENTIST.. Scan up your degree in biological chemistry and I'll take your word for it. Otherwise, lets see what experts have to say: 2% more than regular computer games.. Hmm.. Fail.

"These increases were of insufficient intensity to contribute towards recommendations for children's daily exercise."

Last edited:
LoganSix said:
Hate to make you look like a complete moron, but did you even read the first post of this thread?

Exactly, except everyone here thinks they know more than a Professor of Paediatric Exercise Science.. I'm merely quoting said article from a guy who knows more than you do.. Sorry.. you fail.

GThwaite said:
Hate to make you look foolish.. but..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7155342.stm

You see.. That's not done by some kid who thinks he knows something.. That's done by the BBC.. By SCIENTIST.. Scan up your degree in biological chemistry and I'll take your word for it. Otherwise, lets see what experts have to say: 2% more than regular computer games.. Hmm.. Fail.

Well I guess you win!! Congrats!

Honestly, this study is just that, a study. Was this a controlled double blind study? Were all the subjects in the study of the same height/weight? Did they all use the exact same force and repetition speed when controlling their games? Did they all play the same games for the same amount of time? What was the intensity of the workout? What was their heart rate at certain intervals? How long did this study last? Days? Weeks? Months?

Bottom line is this: There are so many variables that go into a scientific study before you make a claim like this article is. To me, this sounds like a pretty half hearted study that took place over one day, neglecting a ton of important variables..and without the experiment being double blind, there is not a whole lot of credibility that should be put into those results. The scientists even pretty much admit that this experiment is pretty much a half hearted one when they go on and say the following:

"Although this figure is trivial it might contribute to weight management. "

The reason they added that statement is because they know darn well that they neglected a ton of important info to make this a month long, or year long study. This was just a quick, half hearted study to get a fluff news article during Wii mania- these happen all the time (i.e. does competitive eating cause heart disease?).

I'll say it again, the Wii is a great way, when used with the proper intensity and repetition speed, to get a cardiovascular exercise, build lean muscle tissue, burn calories, and stay healthy. It's all dependent on how much effort the individual puts into it. It's all dependent on an individual basis. Why are you guys expending this much effort to try and tell someone that "they can't" stay healthy with a Wii? If a person is dedicated enough I have no doubt in my mind, and it is my professional opinion that they can....stop discouraging people from trying to get healthy.

P.S. I'm not scanning my degrees for you..haha, that is rediculous- you want my social security number too?

Last edited:
Back