Anyone listen to Podcasts? Cause they sure diss the Wii a lot..

i just listened to another podcast last night and they think this year is going to be the make it or break it year for the wii
since devs are realizing the potential of software sales on the wii they are going to put out good games and then the nintendo games are coming out this year
if all these great games dont hold up and people get bored of them quickly then the youll know the wii is done for, but if they do hold up, nothing can be said just yet..

Wiinter said:
Well, "just as easily", yes. But that doesn't mean easy. Thus the behemoth ship imagery I already cited. If it were easy to (advance apologies for coming mixed metaphors) change horses in midstream, we wouldn't have software problems on the Wii right now. With many of the 3rd parties already in a situation of having invested millions and months of effort, there are a bunch of games that will come to market.
I agree completely. I add to that the developers are just as fickle as always and if the market gets tired of waiting and starts to anger towards the Wii they will stop developing which creates a lack of games however many months later.

The Wii future is like playing an online FPS with extreme lag and you end up overcompensating for movement.

ciper said:
How long have you been console gaming? From your post it doesnt seem very long. Do you realize how many consoles have failed for this exact reason?!

That and "lightning rarely strikes twice in the same place" which it already has with the Wii and DS fad. I will bet you any amount of money it won't happen again if the Wii doesnt do well.

Mate how old are you ? I have been gaming probably longer than you have been alive. I work in the industry. And i am aware of how money consoles fail for that reason. You said you will bet money if the wii doesnt do well. Well by who's standards ? If its nintendo's then they have already done well and have cleared even there highest expectations. Even if nintendo never sell another wii console and games stop being made lets say tomorrow. They have already succeeded. Just because a whole bunch of 11 year old kids whinge on a forum about there being a lack of games and that the controls system is getting old doesnt mean that the console is a failure. Nintendo already make alot of profit from the DS, Even if the wii dies fairly soon it doesnt mean it wasnt a succes. I can understand were your coming from on your view and im not saying your view is wrong im just providing the facts for others to make an educated what we can really call a Guess. Because not a single person can predict an accurate outcome of the wii at this stage.

Last edited:
cannon said:
Mate how old are you ? I have been gaming probably longer than you have been alive. I work in the industry.
Ready to put up or shut up? Im willing to give the name and phone number of my previous employer to a moderator to verify my employment if you are.

I dont care where you have or havent worked. I dont even care how old you are. It just shows how immature you are if thats the only thing you can comment on about my post. You can only see your point of view and are not willing to accept that others views can also be correct. Anyway im not one to fight on the internet as im not one of those people that sit's at home all day jerking of to there favorite game trailer on IGN. If you dont agree with what i post simple just post your reason dont turn the thread into a whose dick is bigger conversation.

cannon said:
I dont care where you have or havent worked. I dont even care how old you are.
I only wanted to verify that I am in the industry as well. You tried to use your age AND employment to validate your point of view so I matched. Very well:

You said you will bet money if the wii doesnt do well. Well by who's standards ? If its nintendo's then they have already done well and have cleared even there highest expectations. Even if nintendo never sell another wii console and games stop being made lets say tomorrow. They have already succeeded. Just because a whole bunch of 11 year old kids whinge on a forum about there being a lack of games and that the controls system is getting old doesnt mean that the console is a failure. Nintendo already make alot of profit from the DS, Even if the wii dies fairly soon it doesnt mean it wasnt a succes.
The Wii doing well meaning software sales aren't crap. Right now many people are "waiting" for the good games to come out. They might own 2-3 games and once those become boring the Wii collects dust.

If nintendo stopped selling the Wii tomorrow they did not succeed. I wish we really new the numbers but its likely Nintendo doesnt profit from the sale of a console. In fact they may expect everyone to buy two games in the first 5 months and spend accordingly.

It is not only 11 year old kids that are whining on a forum about lack of games. I think you get that impression because of the average age of users on this forum. Can you say you are happy with the selection of games on the Wii? 7 months have gone by and the number of games is really bad, especially considering how many of them are rebadged gamecube titles/ remade gameboy titles / ports of older games.

I think you should realize that using your method of determining success means the Dreamcast was a great success...

As you stated that game sales judge the success i couldnt agree with you more, But most of the other people that posted in this thread never specified that. Im happy with the current selection of games at the moment. You being in the industry yourself would no that in most cases it can take quite a number of years before what some would say decent games are made. Look at the 360 over here in Aus it is only now starting to pick up its software sales. But i agree with you on the software sales part

ciper said:
I only wanted to verify that I am in the industry as well. You tried to use your age AND employment to validate your point of view so I matched. Very well:

The Wii doing well meaning software sales aren't crap. Right now many people are "waiting" for the good games to come out. They might own 2-3 games and once those become boring the Wii collects dust.

If nintendo stopped selling the Wii tomorrow they did not succeed. I wish we really new the numbers but its likely Nintendo doesnt profit from the sale of a console. In fact they may expect everyone to buy two games in the first 5 months and spend accordingly.

It is not only 11 year old kids that are whining on a forum about lack of games. I think you get that impression because of the average age of users on this forum. Can you say you are happy with the selection of games on the Wii? 7 months have gone by and the number of games is really bad, especially considering how many of them are rebadged gamecube titles/ remade gameboy titles / ports of older games.

I think you should realize that using your method of determining success means the Dreamcast was a great success...
they make plenty of profit off of per console solf
the most expensive part of a console is usually the graphics/processor part of it and the wii's is last gen..analyst predicted the total cost was only $180 per wii for nintendo, and that price lowers in mass production in china or whatever asian country theyre being made in

Sovieto said:
they make plenty of profit off of per console solf
the most expensive part of a console is usually the graphics/processor part of it and the wii's is last gen..analyst predicted the total cost was only $180 per wii for nintendo, and that price lowers in mass production in china or whatever asian country theyre being made in

Yes but remember the retailer has to make money. How much do you think Target and Best Buy pay for a Wii!

Thats very true, Retail stores add massive mark up's especially to electrical goods. It would be interesting to find out how much they add.

If a wii costs 180 and the retailer has a markup... Hmm lets say the Wii is sold to them for an even 200 (which might be high).

200 dollars per Wii means Nintendo should be loosing money on the Wii currently if you take advertising costs into account. I think they are eating into DS profits to support the Wii!

cannon said:
Thats very true, Retail stores add massive mark up's especially to electrical goods.

Bull, do you or have you ever worked retail electronics? I do.

Yes mate i have and still do, It depends on where you live. There was an article on the net it involved Apple and its I pod and the markup that retail stores put on it was something like over 100%. Dont hold me to that number but it was something crazy like that.

So you work in "the industry", or you work in retail? Or do you refer to retail as "the industry" in discussions of the console business?

I work in both, I have 2 jobs one in the actual Gaming industry and one at a local electronics store just to earn a bit more cash. Its a store similair to what American's call Best Buy

Back