IGN Brawl Impressions- Hating on Subspace Emissary

Finally, a thread I made from August is justified:

http://www.wiichat.com/super-smash-bros-brawl/36079-not-living-up-smash-brothers-standards.html

On a more serious note, I never though SSBB's Adventure Mode looked good from the start. It didn't seem to live up to what SSB is all about. While I like the fact that each character has their own storyline AND that I will be playing Adventure Mode, I don't think it will make as much as an impact on the game as Brawl mode or Wi-Fi (which will hopefully turn out alright).

If you look at the Wii60 member impressions of the game, it says quite the opposite of this...

That's enough of that. As for the campaign?

HOLY CRAP THIS IS AWESOME HOLY HELL OH MY GOD I'M BLACKING OUT FROM HAVING SUCH A HUGE ORGASM

I've seen SSE game play, I've liked what I've seen, I won't be disappointed.

And even if it is disappointing, its not like we expected it to be in there in the first place, its just an added bonus for me.

JLU51396 said:
I think your just about the only one I've seen thats not looked at Spoilers or have you?

I agree, I did not like Melee's adventure mode, way too repetitive when you have to play it many times to get all the trophies, Hopefully Subspace is as good as the hype is, because personally I don't trust IGN, they've said that some good games that I liked were wastes of time when I couldn't stop playing the game.
I haven't. And thank you, I'll take that as a compliment.

The hardest part is definetly going to be the Dojo. I've gotten into a habit of looking at it every morning, and I KNOW that the updates are going to be awesome every day. I couldn't resist looking at it Friday, and luckily it wasn't a huge surprise.

LevesqueIsKing said:
I haven't. And thank you, I'll take that as a compliment.

The hardest part is definetly going to be the Dojo. I've gotten into a habit of looking at it every morning, and I KNOW that the updates are going to be awesome every day. I couldn't resist looking at it Friday, and luckily it wasn't a huge surprise.
i broke down and peeked at IGNs final roster spoiler. :/

SSE looks pretty darn good to me....i wont believe what they say till i play it...even if it is my favorite site to go to for reviews...

Its best to play the game, and see if you like it or you dont.

*Captain Falcon....is going to punch the Daylights out....I can smell that "burnt up phoenix now"*

^haha, ouch. That is probably the one thing that I want to see the least. I want to be surprised when I have to fight a new challenger. Although, after figuring out the total number of characters [the one thing I *wanted* to know] I think I've got a pretty good guess at the roster.

CyanRussel said:
SSE looks pretty darn good to me....i wont believe what they say till i play it...even if it is my favorite site to go to for reviews...

Its best to play the game, and see if you like it or you dont.

*Captain Falcon....is going to punch the Daylights out....I can smell that "burnt up phoenix now"*
see the only thing that pisses me off is now ps3 and 360 owners who hate on wii guys will be like "oh IGN said this and that"...
well then again, those kids probably wont be downloading the podcast.

speaking of which, how much spoilers are in there? any story ruiners, or just roster? wondering whether i should d/l

LevesqueIsKing said:
^haha, ouch. That is probably the one thing that I want to see the least. I want to be surprised when I have to fight a new challenger. Although, after figuring out the total number of characters [the one thing I *wanted* to know] I think I've got a pretty good guess at the roster.
:rolleyes: Oh, i was just saying things....dont worry about me...Just Act Like What i said never 'HAPPENED'..i probaly just said that to "I-RAPE" you lol'....You can still speculate..

samXcor3 said:
see the only thing that pisses me off is now ps3 and 360 owners who hate on wii guys will be like "oh IGN said this and that"...
well then again, those kids probably wont be downloading the podcast.

speaking of which, how much spoilers are in there? any story ruiners, or just roster? wondering whether i should d/l
I hate that too....i remember when i 'used to act like that'....bad times//

There are ALOT of SPOILERS...probaly a lil bit of Story ruiners....didnt really read the whole thing though, i also want to be surprised...and yea, it showed some unlockables or hidden characters...

But i wont ruin it for you guys....alot of ppl on here will BE REALLY PISSED AT ME..

*Um..LIK*

Last edited:
They don't hate it, you just didn't include details,

''They were never really about single player but hats off to them. Bosses look cool, animation looks cool, Its just about hitting the attack button randomly, And its like 'every guy is like master hand' This master hand has all these modes of attack and you might actually like need a strategy. 'The cut scene where fox uses the reflector to fight Rayquaza you think Oh so you use the reflector to kill him, Well guess your wrong! -laughing- Multiplayer was phenominal, they added a ton of characters and levels, A lot of the favored maps return. Map editor is 'Freaking awesome' they thought snakes level was really fun, it has a lot of nostalgia, it has only one shade, and you can see all the characters clearly unlike in the original game. New Hyrule pissed people off, -laughs a little- 'The bad guy takes the bridge man,- If your a normal character your just going to die on that stage, snake pit lives. Wario Ware is mean and weird, fun. PictoChat is fun, ridiculous and the music is funny -laughs- Dolphino plaza gets you a little confused. The Simple levels seem to be most favorited.

that was between only 15 minutes, ill summarize some more.

I'm going to swear of the dojo (i really mean it this time...and no not or just 24 hours either >_>;; ) until the release.

The reviewers are paid to say certain things about games it s what they do. some one pays them to embellish on how great their game is when its just mediocre. OR to say that a rival company's product isn't that great.

But considering the fact that all SSE videos HAVE been linear, platforming sometimes scrolling stages, with the same bad guys in there. And then we have the epic bosses at the end. That's what I came to expect from all the previews.
IGN just whined about it. But then take a comparison between this and the adventure mode from melee...see the improvements?
But no, it's not good enough for them. They have to complain. But like Halo 3, the core of the game is the multiplayer.
Most don't give a damn about the story mode because they know the online modes are overhauled and amazing. Although I'm one of those who DOES care, I think that they did a damned good job with it.

Considering how they had to splice in so much content and character plot. They were mostly working on the cut scenes and story paths not the layout of the stages, they were under the impression that the melee adventure formula worked. Obviously not for some but I think that most will enjoy it.

I think this; like halo 3 was for the 360, will be THE game for the wii. Despite the whining and the nay-saying, it will sell a LOT of units, and top the best sellers list for years to come.

What is funny is there is so much good in brawl that the SSE could actualy punch you in the face and it would be a good game, yet you may not play it much for the sake of your nose.

balrogs.pa said:
They don't hate it, you just didn't include details,

''They were never really about single player but hats off to them. Bosses look cool, animation looks cool, Its just about hitting the attack button randomly, And its like 'every guy is like master hand' This master hand has all these modes of attack and you might actually like need a strategy. 'The cut scene where fox uses the reflector to fight Rayquaza you think Oh so you use the reflector to kill him, Well guess your wrong! -laughing- Multiplayer was phenominal, they added a ton of characters and levels, A lot of the favored maps return. Map editor is 'Freaking awesome' they thought snakes level was really fun, it has a lot of nostalgia, it has only one shade, and you can see all the characters clearly unlike in the original game. New Hyrule pissed people off, -laughs a little- 'The bad guy takes the bridge man,- If your a normal character your just going to die on that stage, snake pit lives. Wario Ware is mean and weird, fun. PictoChat is fun, ridiculous and the music is funny -laughs- Dolphino plaza gets you a little confused. The Simple levels seem to be most favorited.

that was between only 15 minutes, ill summarize some more.
IMO you should make a thread called "what IGN REALLY said" and put this in it

Extra Life Mushroom said:
IGN just whined about it. But then take a comparison between this and the adventure mode from melee...see the improvements?
they simply said its a story lacking substance. rather then using things youd expect to see in maps of the games youd be playing you see random s*** and every boss fight is like master hand where you simply do damage. it completely lacks strategy even tho they showed us impressive cutscenes. they also said that using a 28" inch screen was too small because there was too much going on which i certainly hope that isnt the case because i have a 27" tv now and might be going to a 24" computer monitor soon since i dont even use the tuner. they said metaknight sucked hard of all the chars. you need serious reviews like this because nothing is perfect and at certain times the game just seems lack-luster made. i want the game as much as the next guy but if some parts dont make sense im going to find out when i play anyways so its all the same to me whether i find out now or later.

my whole theory is that some of it seems to blow because it was a game that usa and europe didnt have any say over what people wanted. i could be completely wrong but considering some of what they said concerning SSB and SSBM it sounds like we once again have a japanese game being translated for the english community.

Last edited:
Back