Anyone listen to Podcasts? Cause they sure diss the Wii a lot..

cannon said:
I work in both, I have 2 jobs one in the actual Gaming industry and one at a local electronics store just to earn a bit more cash. Its a store similair to what American's call Best Buy
hm
what are your connections to the industry?

LOL does it really matter, Anyway its in the other thread about E3 if your that interested.

Our store (staples) has about a $50 markup on a $1000 laptop, printers that cost $450, we make $35. So if the electronics industry as a whole sets MASSIVE markups on electronics in general (which we are equal to our competing stores), then why the small markups in actual evidence I show in my store? Just my first hand experience goes completely against the claim you are making. Maybe where you live, the stores mark their stuff up double the cost amount, but as far as electronics in stores in Southern California, we make money on the attachments and warranties. ($20 usb cable costs us $2.50, etc...) If what you claim is true, I will never buy my electronics in Australia!!!! haha

Id rather pay $400 for a console and get bored after 6 months and not play it anymore, then spend $1000 on a PS3 and not play that after 6 months.

ummmmmmmm

Sovieto said:
kinda? its a big success atm
but yah, it cant be ignored
one point that was brought up in a podcast (1upyours, it was recent)
was that developers might start making games for the wii to get quick bucks, and then use this money to fund bigger and better projects for the 360 and ps3, the projects the developers REALLY want to do
because face it, sure the wiimote is cool
but game ideas come before gameplay ideas
so not every developer wants to make use of the wiimote and have their games on the wii

Ummmmmmmmmmm do you guys realise Wii can use different controllers??????

If a game isnt suitable to use the Wiimote ummmm i dunno maybe they could design the game to use the ummmm gee i dunnno.... ummmmmmm CLASSIC CONTOLLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OR GAME CUBE CONTROLLER!!!!!!

I dont see ANY other console having the option to use 3 different types of controllers does PS3? umm no, xbox 360 ummm no...

Wii is NOT limited by its controller. Case closed.

It's not boring yet though... I've had it since the beginning of February too and I just got RE4 which is AMAZING! Never played it on the GameCube though, but I love the controls... aim guns with the Wiimote is just as good as using a mouse... Actually its better!

ciper said:
If a wii costs 180 and the retailer has a markup... Hmm lets say the Wii is sold to them for an even 200 (which might be high).

200 dollars per Wii means Nintendo should be loosing money on the Wii currently if you take advertising costs into account. I think they are eating into DS profits to support the Wii!
of course
they do have to make up for development costs (not very high at all) and advertisements (again..not that high, they just show asian people going over peoples houses and playing the wii)
every console has to do that

bubs said:

What percentage of Wii owners own something besides the Wii-nunchuck that came in the box (or additional Wii-nun combos)?

If it isn't 100%, then the Wii is limited by its controller. If a developer has to expect people to pay an extra 20$ (for CC or wavebird) to be able to play their game, their sales go down. If a developer can only depend on those who already own the extra controller (smaller installed user base), their potential sales have an extra limit.

To wit--the wiimote is the Wii's primary selling point. If you're developing a game (Short of some sort of cheap downloadable content) that begs not to use the wiimote, you're deving for the wrong system.

bubs said:
Ummmmmmmmmmm do you guys realise Wii can use different controllers??????

If a game isnt suitable to use the Wiimote ummmm i dunno maybe they could design the game to use the ummmm gee i dunnno.... ummmmmmm CLASSIC CONTOLLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OR GAME CUBE CONTROLLER!!!!!!

I dont see ANY other console having the option to use 3 different types of controllers does PS3? umm no, xbox 360 ummm no...

ummmmmmm ya dude i realize it can
but how many games have you seen on the wii that DONT use motion controls? none.
ohh wow 3 different controllers, THATS SOOO COOL!!!! i wish every console had 3 controllers so we would have to buy them all and have to constantly switch between them. the games would have last gen graphics and would play like last gen games, there would be no point in even putting them on the wii. youre clearly not intelligent

Last edited:
LowTek said:
Our store (staples) has about a $50 markup on a $1000 laptop, printers that cost $450...
...electronics in stores in Southern California, we make money on the attachments and warranties. ($20 usb cable costs us $2.50, etc...) If what you claim is true, I will never buy my electronics in Australia!!!! haha
This man is dead on. Rep'd

Oh and its not true about Australia. The markup is essentially the same. Australia is the most import friendly "Western" country around. If what he said was true I could make serious bank importing US products and selling at half the markup they give.

bubs said:
I dont know where this came from but its a weak argument. "Yay nintendo forces me to buy 3 different controllers to use all the functions of the console. I like giving all of my money away."
I see this as a WEAKNESS
Besides other consoles offer MANY controller options. What about all the dancepads and guns?

Sovieto said:
i wish every console had 3 controllers so we would have to buy them all and have to constantly switch between them.
Hehe exactly.

Last edited:
Back