Are there any Wii owners older than 35years ?

strommsarnac said:
I'll be 38 in November. I started playing "computer games" early. My dad bought our first computer in Canada. It was a Commodore PET 2001. He bought it in 1976. We also had pong (with the light-gun), then Atari2600, Intellivision, Colecovision, VIC20, C64, C128, Plus4, All the PET lines (4032, 8032, etc.) and then into PC's at the 8086 level.

First game I remember playing was some dumb text based game I had to spend 2 hours typing the program into the PET (I wasn't allowed to save it to tape cause my dad didn't want us to screw up the new $3000.00 computer). That was back in late 76'. Later we were allowed to use the tape drive and I remember turning the PET on, starting Space Invaders to load from tape (audio cassette tapes), then going to watch cartoons for 30 minutes before being able to play the dang thing :)

It used to be one had to learn computers to play games. Now they've made it stupid simple and in 10 years or so, most younger people won't understand crap about how to fix computers. PC's will be like a VCR, thank you PS1/2/3, xBox/360 and Wii, etc.
That's quite some history , and all those Commodores .
Guys today just don't know what load times are . I remember loading audio tape based games onto my Atari 400 .
Or copying lines and lines of BASIC coded games out of magazines . Those were the days

Last edited:
I am 51 and started out with Pong, then Intellivision, Commodore 64, Amiga and finally a real PC. Now I own a Wii and enjoy it.

Gymdawg said:
I think you need to look at a different form of media if you want a realistic answer. While it may seem that most Wii owners are younger than 20 if you look here, you have to consider: firstly, how many 40 year olds join forums, and secondly, how many kids who say they own Wiis actually paid for them with daddy's money.

With that said, I'm 17 and every piece of technology in my possession was either paid for out of my pocket or given as a present.
Still there are a few of us here that are a bit longer in the tooth .Some of these guys started out with pong . They like myself developed a passion for "Spacies" a long time ago and have gamed ever since .
My Mum and Dad brought for me an Atari 400 & 800xl , and a Snes .
I brought for myself a Snes .
Since I've had kids (3 sons) , I've brought for them a N64 , XboX , X360 and Wii .Or did I just buy those machines for myself ? You decide .
I did get DS's for them .

*ahem* Yep, I fall into the category...............

heh

37 and still going strong.

infact, i reckon i'm a better gamer than my kids!!

39 years and married with 3 kids, there are 3 Wii owners where I work all in their late 30's, one Xbox 360 owner, also late 30's and no PS3 owners! First 'console' owned was a Commodore 64 - anyone remember such delights as China Miner and Attack of the Mutant Camels!?

I'm 42. I received a Wii 2 days ago. It took 12 days to be shipped from ordering and two weeks of search on the web before that. My first video game was a square shape pingpong with 1D paddle movement. My brother and I built that video game ourselves using a circuit we found on an electronic magazine (~30 years ago). If my memory serves, the IC chip was N555 or something like that.

Im 40,the first system i played on was the commodore 64,you guys remember having to load the game from a seperate cassette player?

wingflex said:
Im 40,the first system i played on was the commodore 64,you guys remember having to load the game from a seperate cassette player?

I do remember using cassette tape for storing game, but I think I was using that on a different system. Perhaps it was for my AppleIIe.

wingflex said:

I'm 32 but I bought this for my daughters. I remember the Commodore 64 and having to type silly commands to get the game to start. I had a "fast load" cartridge:) I also thought I was a cool guy cause I had dual disk drives so I could copy stuff for my friends that also had Commodores!

Apple IIe didn't have cassettes.
Commadore 64 and TRS 80s had cassettes.
Coleco, Atari, and Intelivision had cartridges.

Ahh, the good ol' days.

I had a pong in the 70's, paddles and light gun. Got a IBM PC with two floppy drives, so I could play extra large games. After typing them out and saving them to the multiple disks. Or buying them; Zorg, with the paper map. My friends had the Commadore, Intelivision, and Coleco. I liked the Intellivision the best, with B-19 Bomber and Utopia (Guess I've always been into sim games). Playing Tron was fun, but nothing like playing it in the arcade.

I took a class in middle school called "Games computers play". We played Star Trek over a modem that printed out the responses on paper. The game was at NC State down the road. Of course, we also got to go to an arcade for a field trip and see the innards of pinball table and a cabinet game. I should have stuck to those classes, would be more fun the web application development I'm doing now.

LoganSix said:
Earthworm Jim & the Fifth ~~ North Cackalacky folks I see.
Maybe we start another thread "over 30 and in NC" :smilewinkgrin:

hahaha good one. so where in NC are you?

Back