Are there any Wii owners older than 35years ?

LoganSix said:
Apple IIe didn't have cassettes.

It turns out that the one I had was AppleII Europlus not IIe. IIe was not available until 3 years after I bought it. Anyway, AppleII series does not have cassette itself, but can use casstte tape recorder as external storage through the sound interface. From AppleIIe on, floppy disk became standard option and perhaps no one border to use cassette tape anymore. Even with my AppleII EuroPlus, I switched to floppy drive (by Mitac) later on after I saved enough money for it.

By the way, my AppleII died in 1987 when I was a senior in college typing my research project report. That was exactly 20 years ago.

Last edited:
I'm a 49 year old guy.

I had an Atari 2600 console first, then moved up to a Commodore 64 with a disk drive. Wii Sports Bowling is the first video game I've played in at least 20 years. My wife and I are having a fantastic time with our Wii. Plus, when our grandson comes to visit, he can play his Game Cube games AND use his memory cards. Great stuff!

TW

TiiWii said:
My wife and I are having a fantastic time with our Wii.

My wife was strongly against having video game at home. After so many years without video game at home, we inherited a SNES several years ago from a friend leaving the country. My daugthers played with it a few times. Then last year, I bought a $15 dancing mat with built-in game for my 2 daughters. They really enjoy it and my wife see it as an excercise equipment more than video game. Interestingly, my wife saw the girls playing Wii at a birthday party a couple months ago and was convinced we should have that too. I guess if the Wii does not require a lot of body movement in playing games, we'll not get one at all. I am sure there are many parents getting Wii for that reason too. Who knows if Wii will be like the dancing mat soon that many public schools have adopted for PE classes.

billcsho said:
Who knows if Wii will be like the dancing mat soon that many public schools have adopted for PE classes.

The dancing mat game is Dance Dance Revolution.
The Wii version coming out wiil allow for up to 4 players, at least that's what the initial press says. Also, it will use the mat and the mote/chuck. So, you will be moving your feet and your arms. So, it should be a great workout and fun at parties. It's a game on my wish list.

Dance Dance Revolution Hottest Party (Wii)
Release Date : 09/15/2007

• Brand new DDR game designed exclusively for the Wii™
  • Support up to 4 player simultaneous play ensures your house is the hottest party on the block
  • All-new soundtrack includes licensed smash-hits from the last 4 decades
  • Use the Wii Remote and Nunchuk while dancing for greater total body interaction
  • Swing the Wii controller to send obstructions to your opponents while competing
  • New gameplay twists, fun minigames and other challenges
  • Great family fun with added modes and difficulties for all ages, including Friendly Synch and Kind Support Mode

Hottest Party incorporates a new symbol made specifically for the Wii: a solid horizontal bar with arrows attached at the ends. A bar rises up from the bottom of the screen, and once it reaches the top arrows, you spastically shake the Wii Remote or Nunchuck like the maracas in Sega's Samba De Amigo. If the bar rises from the left, you'll shake your left hand; from the right, your right hand.

Konami Info
IGN Review
1up preview

32 here. My 4 year old plays some but I won't lie, I've been playing mine like mad. I've had every nintendo since they first came out. I told myself 100's of times that I wasn't getting one. found my self checking wal-mart and target weekly. I said to heck with it and grabbed one - best purchase I"ve made in a while.

I'm 35 and a half.

Started with a Magnavox Odyssey 1 (with the transparency sheets you taped to your TV screen), then Atari 2600, ColecoVision, Atari 400, Atari 800XL, Atari 1040ST, NES, Genesis, Atari Jaguar, Atari Lynx, VirtualBoy, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, GameCube, GBA, DS, and now Wii.

(The Jaguar and VirtualBoy I got after both had been discontinued and were being sold very cheap through liquidators).

billcsho said:
My wife was strongly against having video game at home. After so many years without video game at home, we inherited a SNES several years ago from a friend leaving the country. My daugthers played with it a few times. Then last year, I bought a $15 dancing mat with built-in game for my 2 daughters. They really enjoy it and my wife see it as an excercise equipment more than video game. Interestingly, my wife saw the girls playing Wii at a birthday party a couple months ago and was convinced we should have that too. I guess if the Wii does not require a lot of body movement in playing games, we'll not get one at all. I am sure there are many parents getting Wii for that reason too. Who knows if Wii will be like the dancing mat soon that many public schools have adopted for PE classes.

Heh...we're empty nesters now. What that means to us is, we no longer have to set an example :smilewinkgrin: We can game ourselves into a stupor and no one has to know. The dance mat sounds pretty wicked, but I shudder to think of the spectacle of the two of us groovin and funkifyin on one of those things. :wtf:

On 2nd thought...the dance mat might not be so bad if we keep the curtains closed! :devil:

Our kids (2 boys) had a NES, SNES, and a couple different Sega's but they didn't overdo it. On a nice day they'd be outside playing ball or riding their bikes. Our grandson is the same way--he loves his Game Cube and GBA SP but he prefers to play outside. Some kids are just more inclined to stay in. We got lucky in that respect.

But the Wii games can really get you moving. Watch out for that rotator cuff!

TW

In your area, your kids have a lot of chance to play outside. While in Michigan, our kids can only play indoors for half of the year. I guess the Wii would be their exercise machine.

billcsho said:
In your area, your kids have a lot of chance to play outside. While in Michigan, our kids can only play indoors for half of the year. I guess the Wii would be their exercise machine.

Oh, I know what it's like to be penned up inside the house for half the year. I grew up in PA. On the other hand though, South Florida has some brutal rainy seasons. After tourist season, you have drought conditions but the temps are bearable. Then you have hurricane season. If it's not in the mid 90's, it's raining. It's not unusual for people to crank up the air conditioners and stay inside during the summer.

The weather is basically crappy everywhere for half the year, is what I'm tryin to say here.

The Wii as an exercise machine? Don't know bout that, but the potential for people my age to injure themselves is pretty high. :lol:

Judging by this thread , Nintendo has indeed attracted back to gaming , players that haven't picked up a controller in years .
But there are also gamers who just never stopped .
If only I had started a poll .

Back