bland steel

zraductus

WiiChat Member
Nov 13, 2006
in this moment right now im like a lost soul roaming the world of the living because of the fact that i still dont have a wii console.

but thank the lord that i have a friend that does and im practically living there .
he must be pissed off each time i go there cause i dont let him play his wii cause theres only one controller.

that said he has the obvious wii sports the awe inspiring zelda and bland steel....oops i mean red steel,red steel is a game that made me realize some of the wiis weak spots that could ultimately spell its doom.

red still is a game for the wii from the ground up ,its ssupposed to show up the wiis control dynamics and what the wii is capable off ,that said it fells short

when i played it it felt kinda like election day......ur president promises u the world and a great future but when hes elected all the crap hits the fan and the promises are gone with the wind.

lets start with the fact that this is a FPS game that uses the wii mote and nunchuck......the fps is almost dead ass slow & almost nonexistent,it would have been better to play it with the classic controller,that is the biggest flaw and it was supposed to be the biggest strenght,what nintendo stands for is gameplay not graphics,
and the only reason i find myself playing red steel is its graphics not gameplay.

and the multiplayer outright sucks!!!!.......only 2 players and the split screen is ancient and sucky!!!

red steel is a deceptive name for this game cause i didnt find a single drop of blood anywhere even when slashing away with my trusty katana.
but thers no denying that red steel is a beatifull game graphically speaking from the old dojos trought the seedy neon glowing seedy backgrounds,and the best thing are the explosions light effects rain everithing is pure eye candy,but what holds it back its the enemies in the game and the main character and the lame ass cut seens that belong to a N64 game and a bad one at that.the game musical score its great and its engaging but the voice acting is very painfull and the actors try too hard to speak with a japanese accent.

in conclusion all that talk about gameplay not graphics does not apply to red steel because the only strength of the game is its graphics not its gameplay.

if ur looking for a new gameplay out of this world u better buy the medal of honor game,while the game isnt as pretty as red steel the controls put red steel to shame,or wait for the Metroid wii game instead or wait for the price of this game to drop and buy it or exchange it to a braind dead friend for wii sports........wait wii sports is way sweeter than red steel.

that is all!!!!

Its a launch title - The PS2s launch titles were a load of **** too... and look how that turned out.? Tekken 2 with better graphics - Dynasty warriors - ridgerace. All launch titles suck ass. Only reason zelda is great is because its a GC game they spent an extra year making it into a wii title...

im not saying the wii is crappy cause red steel is im just saying that with all the hype this game had it just didnt deliver and im worried if this the beggining of countless fps crappy games for the wii

The controls are the bomb. Sorry you have having such difficulty.

Two different movements to throw grenades, reload and open doors/flip switches with the nunchuck. Many sword fighting moves involving both controllers moving.

Very well done in my opinion.

vagrant said:
The controls are the bomb. Sorry you have having such difficulty.

Two different movements to throw grenades, reload and open doors/flip switches with the nunchuck. Many sword fighting moves involving both controllers moving.

Very well done in my opinion.

no theyr not i have DOOM,quake and other fps games for the pc and red steel doesent even come close

I haven't played it so I can only go so far, but damn was Red Steel a dissapointment. And all the PRO reviewer, the guys who do this for a living, agreed. The game got TERRIBLE reviews across the board. I was so pissed because I was looking so forward to this game. It's ok though. It's only one title... and it's a launch title. The concept of Red Steel is amazing and if they can pull it off with better controls and an all around tighter game, then I believe they have something special on their hands... as of right now, it was released and failed.

The Wii controls are great for first person shooters. I've played Call of Duty and I think the controls work pretty well.

The controls work fine. It is just very difficult to turn quickly in RED STEEL, the controller seems to lack 'speed' near the edge of the screen like in a PC game or COD3. But apart from the turning issue, Ive heard the experience is still pretty immersive, and with a bit of practice (as with anything) becomes quite enjoyable, just not as fast as a PC shooter. (Besides, this is the first shooter on a 1week old console. PC shooters have been developing and evolving now for almost 20years).

It just takes time to get used to, once you master the controls... the game is incredible! No need to argue the truth, right? If you think it's slow, that's your opinion... and at times, I agree with that. But if you run through a level and are getting everyone down in no time, it's probably too basic of a title for you. Launch titles are never the best... and if I'm really impressed with this one, I'm sure to love whatever is to come next.

its not bad at all.

this game is a, example!!! you do need to give it time for the controls, but thats why redsteel is here, to understand and become accustom to the wiimote!
agreed, the cutscenes and acting do blow, thought sometimes the women talking made me laugh, thier accent was so over the top. it started slow for me, but now im playing it flawlessly. and you CAN'T stack it up against other console games for controls. weapons, new fighting ideas, hell, even plotlines can be stacked up against other consoles. but halo vs redsteel for controls... come on people its 2 different styles..... dont compare controller styles!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to both disagree and agree with you, nametilf. While I don't think it's a horrible game (oh and yes, I have played it through multiple levels; it's in my Wii right now) it isn't worth more than a long rental in my opinion. I think the opening of doors, reloading, knocking over tables and throwing/rolling grenades were well done, but the meat of Red Steel, the aiming and sword fighting are sorely lacking. Both are best described as wonky and sorry, but I still really haven't gotten used to either (sword play is essentially a button masher, but with motion sensitivity).

Personally, I don't intend to get used to these controls. At first, I thought it would be more realistic when compared to real life shooting because in real life, you aren't always centered right over your gun, or paintball gun in my experience, which is how normal FPSs are, but I was wrong. You don't move a gun all around your view without moving your body and view and if you did in real life, you'd miss a lot, which is exactly what happens in Red Steel (except when using auto-aim, which I think is lame). I plan on renting COD3 and from what I've heard, it's much more like a PC FPS, yet it still allows you to move the gun slightly without turning your view, which I think is almost perfect. Red Steel was more of an experiment and if they had put in a COD3-aim-style in, it might have been a whole other game.

Sadly, Red Steel is also quite repetitive. Go into room, shoot bad guys, go into another room, shoot a few more, find key/key card, go back to locked door, checkpoint, shoot more guys and then sword fight; rinse and repeat. There are a few puzzle elements that are nice (you can tell Ubisoft tried), but most of the time it's just run and gun. The focus mode isn't that great either, but at least it's a bit original.

So, for anyone that wants an FPS, go for COD3 or possibly Far Cry if it's good, or wait for Metroid, but don't go for Red Steel unless you've just never played an FPS in your life. Actually scratch that last part. If you haven't played an FPS ever, don't let Red Steel's style get familiar because every other FPS is going to have the COD3-style and you'll be completely screwed.

Here's to a more complex and better-controlling sequel.:)

the games pretty fun IMO. I've only finished 30% of it but so far it's still fun to play. the cut scenes are looong and annoying if you die and rewatch them 5 times, but otherwise its' a good story too.

sword fights are what I play for, shooting people til I get to a knife fight!

haven't tried multiplayer yet as I can't find an in-stock controller to buy.

ps: a compass or map woulda reallly helped me, I get turned around all the time in the game.

Back