Can God Commit Suicide?

Boethiah

Sam I Am
Jan 25, 2009
Indiana
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
This is an interesting question I thought of today, and I was wondering if WiiChat had any sort of idea about it. ( For the record, this is in the context of the Christian god, to avoid confusion). We all know the legend that God made Jesus Sacrifice himself to save humanity from it's sins, but could God make that ultimate sacrifice?

If he could, would he still be Omnipotent? If he couldn't, would he be Omnipotent?

Discuss.

Wow...

Um.... maybe?

That's a ****ing crazy question :lol:

God can do anything
Yet God can't die
Yet God can make the impossible happen
Yet nothing can kill Him...

my head hurts.

God can do anything
Yet God can't die
Yet God can make the impossible happen
Yet nothing can kill Him...

my head hurts.

I think the question is, Does God still exist because he CAN'T die, or he doesn't WANT to die?

And I use words like Death, and Die loosely.

( Now we need the strong Christians to come along and give scripture)

i think he could and he would if he believed that it was best but there would never be a reason for him to do so.
for the record i don't believe in religion but i am saying according to others beliefs and what i have read(a lot trust me) he can but would never have a reason.

If there is an omnipotent power, it wouldn't be 'living' by our definition of the word, especially in the sense that all life comes to an end.

i think he could and he would if he believed that it was best but there would never be a reason for him to do so.
for the record i don't believe in religion but i am saying according to others beliefs and what i have read(a lot trust me) he can but would never have a reason.

Why would he not have any reason to do so? If God truly loved us, why wouldn't he sacrifice himself if it would be best for us in the future?

because he is god, he could control whatever he wants to, his death would not be needed as a sacrifice he would just fix everything with a poof.
Then why hasn't he fixed the economy yet? Does he hate us? ;_;

Why would he not have any reason to do so? If God truly loved us, why wouldn't he sacrifice himself if it would be best for us in the future?
This is how it goes. God protects us. Its referred to by christians as, "Gods hand rest upon you."
If God raises his hand, you're open game, and you don't want to be open game. Possesions, mysterious bitemarks, mid-night rape sessions that make you feel like youre on fire, nightmares, seeing things in the mirror, hearing voices, seeing a creature right in front of you, and death happens to open game. No God, no protection

no but he love's us enough to give us" free will"
Do we REALLY have free will? If God has a master plan, then all time would be set to a certain course. Therefore, people cannot control if they sin or not. Therefore, sin really doesn't exist.

Is it free will?

And to some other posts before me that I'm too lazy to quote, I suppose you're right. I really hadn't considered some different aspects of God's being, and how he supposedly works.

in short yes.
God is beyond life and death.
God sent His SON to earth
Jesus came as man, but still was God.
Jesus died, and was dead for 3 days.
He overcame death and rose again.
Ascended into heaven.
So yes, He did die, but it wasnt suicide.

As for the masterplan thing, think of what Job said. I know you can do all things, and that nothing i do can change your plan)

Hehe, I haven't seen a question like that in a while. Then again, I haven't logged on for year, because for some reason I was blocked... Meh...

Anyway, I feel like attempting to answer your question.
In one way at looking at it, Jesus was God, part of the Holy Trinity, therefore it could be said that God did sacrifice a part of himself.
Secondly, Jesus, when he died upon the cross, he only dies within his Physical body, which is totally separate to his spiritual one. As God/Jesus have no need for a physical body in heaven, the body was only so Jesus could be on earth and preach, and thus form the story we all know. The fact is that the pain and suffering he had to go through was real, and the feeling of death was real.
So, no, God couldn't commit suicide, because spiritual beings cannot "die" as such, or as far as we will ever know. Unless God had a physical body that he allowed to die, then yes, he could, yet even then he d\would not be "dead", as he cannot die.

Hope that makes sense to you as it does to me

~Xenithion

Back