Can God Commit Suicide?

If you believe in Creationism, the chicken came first, if you believe in evolution the chicken came first.

I thought the egg came first? Many creatures before the chicken laid eggs. Or are we only referring to chicken eggs?

For the Free Will question, yes.. God gave his children free will, and you do have it even though he is all knowing of what is going to happen.

e.g. I know my fiance would eat a bowl of a cereal over a dead rat. If I were to set them both before my fiance, it is safe to say she will not eat the dead rat. Knowing this is not taking away the freedom of Catherine since she is freely choosing one over the other.

No, I think you're missing the entire point. If God has a master plan, then we really have no choice over what we're going to do. Your example of the cereal and the dead rat doesn't address this. If God has a master plan, and your fiance "chooses" to eat the cereal, then that really isn't a choice. God already "predicted" it would happen.

It's not free will if he has everything already planned out.

Which also makes praying pretty pointless.

No, I think you're missing the entire point. If God has a master plan, then we really have no choice over what we're going to do. Your example of the cereal and the dead rat doesn't address this. If God has a master plan, and your fiance "chooses" to eat the cereal, then that really isn't a choice. God already "predicted" it would happen.

It's not free will if he has everything already planned out.

Which also makes praying pretty pointless.

You're confusing God's Divine Plan with God's Will. It is God's Will, he will do whatever he wants to.. thus praying is a waste of time.

And predicting what is going to happen, is not the same as controlling someone.

I can predict people are going to go work tomorrow and do their job, doesn't mean I'm taking away their free will. Same can be said for God, for him to know what a person will choose does not mean that the person has no freedom to make the choice. It simply means that God knows what the person will choose.

Yeah, you can go against Gods plan. People often do.

You're confusing God's Divine Plan with God's Will. It is God's Will, he will do whatever he wants to.. thus praying is a waste of time.

I can predict people are going to go work tomorrow and do their job, doesn't mean I'm taking away their free will. Same can be said for God, for him to know what a person will choose does not mean that the person has no freedom to make the choice. It simply means that God knows what the person will choose.

then we are just puppets who "think" we have a choice?

to quote john lennons "working class hero",

And you think you're so clever and classless and free,
But you're still ****ing peasants as far as I can see,

Yeah, you can go against Gods plan. People often do.

Do they? I mean, are they going against God's plan, or is it just apart of it?

The difference is, you're not an all knowing being that controls the universe. If God KNOWS something will happen, then that person is limited to what God KNOWS what will happen.

There is no choice.

Do they? I mean, are they going against God's plan, or is it just apart of it?

The difference is, you're not an all knowing being that controls the universe. If God KNOWS something will happen, then that person is limited to what God KNOWS what will happen.

There is no choice.

If God knows all things and knows what we are going to choose, then by definition, we are still making the choice. Choice implies the ability to decide between different options. If there is no freedom of choice, then we cannot choose what we want, but instead will be choosing what God wants. Knowing what a person will do still does not force them or limit them to doing what is known (course, it is said God's knowledge is unlimited anyway).

Your complete future is not written beforehand in God's Divine Plan, your future is made depending on your choices, the only thing is that God can predict your choices and the outcome, all the time, due to his omnipresent nature.

Yeah, I mean think about it. If you turned into some psychic and could tell someones future, you're just seeing what happens later, not causing it.

Yeah, I mean think about it. If you turned into some psychic and could tell someones future, you're just seeing what happens later, not causing it.

but you can now alter your decisions so that the future that the psychic saw for you will be altered. amirite?

May I raise a few points?

-You use the Christian God. But, the Christian God did die, on a Cross. So, that's your answer regarding the Christian God. Simple shizzle.
-In theory, God can do anything. Supposedly, that involves being able to 'kill' himself. But that would also raise the issue on whether God is a living being or not. If not, then he never lived, and so cannot die.

May I raise a few points?

-You use the Christian God. But, the Christian God did die, on a Cross. So, that's your answer regarding the Christian God. Simple shizzle.

Jesus claimed to be God (in the Bible), but I don't think it's ever been proven that he was God. Course, if he was God.. then just his human form died, not God himself.

if He could've, he would've.

because the human race is just that stupid.

This is an interesting question I thought of today, and I was wondering if WiiChat had any sort of idea about it. ( For the record, this is in the context of the Christian god, to avoid confusion). We all know the legend that God made Jesus Sacrifice himself to save humanity from it's sins, but could God make that ultimate sacrifice?

If he could, would he still be Omnipotent? If he couldn't, would he be Omnipotent?

Discuss.

I'm not a "christian" but I do believe in God and Goddess etc. anyways, God can't kill himself. God is not human.

Back