Can God Commit Suicide?

I never heard of a spirit killing themselves lol! I guess it could happen.

Eh, there's other creatures besides Humans and Spirits. And the existence of spirits isn't really an irrefutable truth.

But I'm unsure if many animals can actually kill themselves in the true sense of the word. ( Not wanting to live instead of accidentally falling off a cliff)

Eh, there's other creatures besides Humans and Spirits. And the existence of spirits isn't really an irrefutable truth.

But I'm unsure if many animals can actually kill themselves in the true sense of the word. ( Not wanting to live instead of accidentally falling off a cliff)
I've heard of cases where animals will stop eating, but I've never heard of an animal actively trying to kill itself. Then again, we could be mistinterpreting an accidental fall off a cliff for an intentional one?

This reminds me of that episode of American Dad when he holds the Heaven Gun to God :lol:

But I dunno. I don't really think that it would make much difference if He did? If he dies, wouldn't he just go back to heaven?

According to the common Christian, God can do anything, and he will do so when he feels it necessary. He loves his creations and all of mankind and has a master plan set for all. Thus, doing things like sacrificing himself by sending himself, at the same time his created son, who's mother is Mary, whom God created as well, and is the Mother of Jesus, and thus the Mother of God...wait, I'm confused here! Who's who, I'm not making any sense! This isn't simple at all...Anyways, Christians believe that God sacrificing himself in order that his creations would not suffer in hell that he made. Thus, believing in the Message will guarantee (according to many Christians) a spot in heaven.

Hmm, Ya know.. I wonder if God can make himself Immortal & Mortal at will, whenever he wants? Like it would be as easy as changing your pants and shoes. That would be rather interesting, and he could still be able to commit suicide while remaining Omnipotent. Correct?

Hmm, Ya know.. I wonder if God can make himself Immortal & Mortal at will, whenever he wants? Like it would be as easy as changing your pants and shoes. That would be rather interesting, and he could still be able to commit suicide while remaining Omnipotent. Correct?

Wait, do you mean if he was mortal, then kill himself, then make himself immortal again?

Yours is an interesting view.

Wait, do you mean if he was mortal, then kill himself, then make himself immortal again?

Yours is an interesting view.

I mean like, if he's able to switch between being Immortal & Mortal with the snap of his fingers, if he wanted. After all he can do anything, I don't see why he couldn't be able to do that.

This is an interesting question I thought of today, and I was wondering if WiiChat had any sort of idea about it. ( For the record, this is in the context of the Christian god, to avoid confusion). We all know the legend that God made Jesus Sacrifice himself to save humanity from it's sins, but could God make that ultimate sacrifice?

If he could, would he still be Omnipotent? If he couldn't, would he be Omnipotent?

Discuss.

I was in a Philosphy class that regarded questions like these one day, and I thought it came down to an interesting conclusion.

My teacher (who, by the way, remained neutral on any discussion, including those that touched on religion) basically said that questions like these are putting two logics that contradict each other together as if it could be recieved as one coherent thought.

He gave an example of people saying things like "Can God create a rock that even He can't lift?". He said that if God is meant to be All-powerful, it's not that He "can't", but that two opposing thoughts are being said at once in the question. To lift a rock you can't lift is to infer that the implied lifter is not all-powerful, but to recall God is to recall a being who is defined to indeed be all-powerful. He basically concluded saying that logically, the two thoughts cannot be put into one question and expected to be answered because they contridict each other. To say "Yes" makes no sense to one part of the question (An all-powerful being can lift something He lacks the power to lift) and to say "No" defeats the purpose of the other (An all-powerful being cannot lift something that requires "power"), so the question itself cannot be logically answered since it's self-contradictory to begin with.

I guess his point was that Logic can only take us so far in trying to completely comprehend something that has been defined as something beyond our own nature, and I think this pertains to the thread topic's question.

You can discuss this or whatever. Not saying I agree or disagree to anything. Just thought I would throw this out there.

Last edited:
Back