Component Video VS Composite - Is there a real difference?

AZ_Wii_Tard said:
As far as I know all component cable are RGB. I would also only buy the Nintendo Component Cable for the fact that if anything ever happened to your Wii or the Cables it would be warrantied by Nintendo since it's their product. I have not had any problems with mine. There are a bunch of cables that work, ie: gamestop brand (game shark I think), which to me look low quality and are $50 last time I checked. I know best buy and circuit city sell some but they too are $50-$60. Ebay has a bunch from $10-$20 depending on which ones you get. But I would never trust any of those. To each his own I guess but in my opinion I would stick to the $30 Nintendo brand cables.

personally i disagree. i don't think buying 3rd party would or even possibly damage your system (unless it's from the dollar store, but they don't carry wii cables anyhow). if anything 3rd part cables are a savier to wii user as there were many stories of official Nintedo cable shortages. and if anything should happen to your wii due to non official cables (which i highly doubt would happen), i personally don't think Nintendo would refuse to warrant your wii (who's to blame for shortages and customers running out and buying 3rd party cables).

long story short being on and off the electronics industry for the past 5 years, i can confidently say 3rd party A/V cables won't damage your system...

Last edited:
dchao said:
3:2 pulldown is only used to for movie to DVD transfer, not for video games. A lot of games are design to run at 60 frames per second already so there is no synchronisation problem.

dchao: I know. I was giving an example of when an interlaced output would result in a better image than a progressive output

AZ_Wii_Tard said:
All I am saying is that the component cable versus the standard cable is a huge difference in what your picture is. I do not have scart since I live in the US so I have no idea what that does. But if you have a TV capable of 480P then your best picture will come from a Component cable RGB.
Bull. That is not what you said. You told the guy that he "don't know what you are talking about" and that the component cable was better than the RGB SCART connection he was using. Component cables and 480p are not exclusive. The Wii component video is NOT RGB.

AZ_Wii_Tard said:
As far as I know all component cable are RGB.
Again wrong. Component video uses a color difference formula to display the picture. The "green" cable carries the black and white picture (luma). This is VERY similar to Svideo. The difference comes in that three seperate channels of color can be carried over two cables. One has the all the blue information minus the chroma while the other carries all the red information minus chroma. A formula is applied to these three signals to obtain 4 seperate channels of picture + red + green + blue.

AZ_Wii_Tard said:
I would also only buy the Nintendo Component Cable for the fact that if anything ever happened to your Wii or the Cables it would be warrantied by Nintendo since it's their product. I have not had any problems with mine. There are a bunch of cables that work, ie: gamestop brand (game shark I think), which to me look low quality and are $50 last time I checked. I know best buy and circuit city sell some but they too are $50-$60. Ebay has a bunch from $10-$20 depending on which ones you get. But I would never trust any of those. To each his own I guess but in my opinion I would stick to the $30 Nintendo brand cables.
Do you think Nintendo makes their own cables? You are telling the person to purchase cables from whatever no name cable manufacture when you say "buy Nintendo". MadCatz has been making accessories for YEARS and I would trust their product over most others - they sell a 20$ component cable. Nyko is another company selling the 20$ components and they also happen to be the one that makes controller charge station and wireless sensor bar most of users on this forum buy.

strommsarnac said:
No offense, but you are wrong. The Wii puts out 720x480i/p. BOTH are HighDef. Technically, anything above 640x480 is considered HD.
Not quite. 480p is EDTV not HDTV. The lowest resolution to be considered HD is a vertical resolution of 720 lines.

dchao said:
3:2 pulldown is only used to for movie to DVD transfer, not for video games. A lot of games are design to run at 60 frames per second already so there is no synchronisation problem.

dchao: I know. I was giving an example of when an interlaced output would result in a better image than a progressive output

AZ_Wii_Tard said:
All I am saying is that the component cable versus the standard cable is a huge difference in what your picture is. I do not have scart since I live in the US so I have no idea what that does. But if you have a TV capable of 480P then your best picture will come from a Component cable RGB.
Bull. That is not what you said. You told the guy that he "You have no idea what your talking about" and that the component cable was better than the RGB SCART connection he was using. Component cables and 480p are not exclusive. The Wii component video is NOT RGB.

AZ_Wii_Tard said:
As far as I know all component cable are RGB.
Again wrong. Component video uses a color difference formula to display the 4 components of the picture over three wires. The "green" cable carries the black and white picture (luma) plus the sync. This is exactly the same as Svideo. The difference comes in that three seperate channels of color can be carried over the other two cables. One has the all the blue information minus the chroma while the other carries all the red information minus chroma. A formula is applied to these three signals to obtain 4 seperate channels of picture + red + green + blue.

AZ_Wii_Tard said:
I would also only buy the Nintendo Component Cable for the fact that if anything ever happened to your Wii or the Cables it would be warrantied by Nintendo since it's their product. I have not had any problems with mine. There are a bunch of cables that work, ie: gamestop brand (game shark I think), which to me look low quality and are $50 last time I checked. I know best buy and circuit city sell some but they too are $50-$60. Ebay has a bunch from $10-$20 depending on which ones you get. But I would never trust any of those. To each his own I guess but in my opinion I would stick to the $30 Nintendo brand cables.
Do you think Nintendo makes their own cables? You are telling the person to purchase cables from whatever no name cable manufacture Nintendo has a contract with at the moment. MadCatz has been making accessories for YEARS and I would trust their product over most others - they sell a 20$ component cable. Nyko is another company selling the 20$ components and they also happen to be the one that makes controller charge station and wireless sensor bar most of users on this forum buy.

strommsarnac said:
No offense, but you are wrong. The Wii puts out 720x480i/p. BOTH are HighDef. Technically, anything above 640x480 is considered HD.
Tehnically 480p is EDTV. Some say its part of the HDTV standard but in reality the lowest resolution HDTV displays are able to display at least 720p or 1080i.

Last edited:
i just got my component cable and couldn't see a significant difference. not that it really mattered because i only paid $3.51 (including tax and shipping) for the cable, but i just want to know if i'm possibly missing some setting adjustment on my hardware for either the wii or my tv (sony 50" lcd proj).

it's in the manual there's a setting that allows you to change resolution settings from 480i to 480p, assuming your television does support progressive scan...

Edit: my bad LCD, well it's in settings...

im sure someone has already said it... yes you can tell a difference if you can use it then do it if not then you need a new tv sometime pretty soon cause HD looks so amazing... thats not saying that games that are not High Def that is not good cause i am defintaly not a graphics whore

very true... just lazy to look it up and link' em to it

Last edited:
AllSport,

Go to the Wii settings.

You need to change both :

1) widescreen settings (16:9)

2) TV resolution (480P)

Now go to the TV and change the "aspect ratio" for your Wii video input in to "FULL"

There should be a BIG difference

Last edited:
Sweet - since i have these cables i can also plug my ps2 in the composite parts. I don't need my Commtel Scart Video Unit anymore

So i hooked them up, and wow! i have not played any games yet but its already looking amazing. No more thin lines moving when i look at the light blue on the screen. I'm going to fire up the internet channel and see how the text looks.

EDIT: Wow the text is amazing, its so much clearer

ciper said:
Do you think Nintendo makes their own cables? You are telling the person to purchase cables from whatever no name cable manufacture Nintendo has a contract with at the moment. MadCatz has been making accessories for YEARS and I would trust their product over most others - they sell a 20$ component cable. Nyko is another company selling the 20$ components and they also happen to be the one that makes controller charge station and wireless sensor bar most of users on this forum buy.

Warranty issues have been known to happen. It is just my opinion

ciper said:
dchao:
Again wrong. Component video uses a color difference formula to display the 4 components of the picture over three wires. The "green" cable carries the black and white picture (luma) plus the sync. This is exactly the same as Svideo. The difference comes in that three seperate channels of color can be carried over the other two cables. One has the all the blue information minus the chroma while the other carries all the red information minus chroma. A formula is applied to these three signals to obtain 4 seperate channels of picture + red + green + blue.

that's exactly what I said. As far as I know they are Red Green and Blue? Are you retarded or something?

ciper said:
Bull. That is not what you said. You told the guy that he "don't know what you are talking about" and that the component cable was better than the RGB SCART connection he was using. Component cables and 480p are not exclusive. The Wii component video is NOT RGB.

I never said anything about a component cable being better than a RGB scart being. I don't have scart if you read the entire post. I said that RGB component cable is better than the standard cable that comes with the Wii if you TV supports 408P. Get your facts straight

dchao said:
AllSport,

Go to the Wii settings.

2) TV resolution (480P)

Now go to the TV and change the "aspect ratio" for your Wii video input in to "FULL"

excitedly, i tried out your settings suggestions, but now it seems i'm getting the jagged line effect that others were talking about. now i'm perplexed. btw what is the difference between 480i and 480p?

dchao said:
AllSport,

Go to the Wii settings.

2) TV resolution (480P)

you dont need to change the screen size to widescreen.

p.s: even if a wii game isn't "EDTV/HDTV Compatible (loz: TP) will it look better when you wii is in 480p?

Retman said:
p.s: even if a wii game isn't "EDTV/HDTV Compatible (loz: TP) will it look better when you wii is in 480p?

whoa! you mean to tell me that there are some games that are and are NOT HDTV COMPATIBLE? :eek: wow... i really need to read some of these directions. in answering your question, i did set it to 480p and that's when i started to see the lines becoming jagged (or slightly pixelated).

Back