Do you want Scotland to be independent

Err migrants only contribute a penny to the GDP?

How daft do you sound. We NEED immigration, it's the backbone of the country. English people simply don't want to do the **** jobs anymore. That's come about from having such high unemployment for such a long time. Immigration is crucial to the bottom end of the economy. Seriously Haz, I don't know what you've been reading that makes you think the economy will collapse. Perhaps the Daily Mail.....

I'm for closing off immigration. On principle I don't like the housing situation and I don't like people walking into the country and taking council houses from English families who have been waiting for years. But these are illegal immigrants and asylum seekers. Not economic migrants as I was referring to above. Economic migrants get no special 'queue hopping' and whatnot.

It's a dangerous thing to simply label immigration as immigration. It's certain kinds we have to tighten up on. Some economic immigration we need. The sad fact is though, we simply cannot take all of the worlds suffering asylum seekers. Other countries, like France, realise this. The British mentality just doesn't.

O and just on EMA. Having watched my brother and his friends receive it I can safely say it's a bad thing. All it has done is harm. They're all too lazy to get jobs now and are missing vital experience. They see the £30 as a substitute for working. That will actually give them long term harm imo as I think getting your first shitty job is an important part of growing up. As for motivation to go to college.... You what? Going to college is a PRIVILEGE. If you can't be bothered to attend it in order to get your qualifications then that's your own lazy fault. You shouldn't need financial incentive.

There was never anything wrong with going to college and getting a job.

lol Daily Mail! Please! If you must know I read the Telegraph.

It's not daft - I'm not going to argue my point further as I can not find my source. However, you need to think about the value of each migrated person and the costs they (some not all) incur. The 1p in the GDP is calculated by the total migrated population contribution minus costs (i.e. Benefits & Process Expenses / NHS Healthcare / etc). Some migrants come here and do not work and claim benefits - this is what pulls the number down so much. It's only working migrants which keep the number above a negative.

Glad to see we agree about EMA.

What gets my goat is that in terms of asylum seekers - we are a f*cking island!? A person would have to travel through half of Europe to get here!?

The French are smart in the sense that they point asylum seekers in the direction of the channel tunnell.

BrandonMcAuslan said:
What gets my goat is that in terms of asylum seekers - we are a f*cking island!? A person would have to travel through half of Europe to get here!?

The French are smart in the sense that they point asylum seekers in the direction of the channel tunnell.

Hahahaha - You speak the truth.

DazzeL said:
There was never anything wrong with going to college and getting a job.

Try telling this to my friend who got up every morning at 5am to do his paper round, then went to college from 8:30 am till 3:30 pm, then went to McDonalds from 4pm to 9pm, then did revision from 10pm until 1am before going to bed. He had to do both the Jobs to get enough money to put himself through college and, trust me on this, if your not doing 3 hours work a night at home you fail. How long do you think you could go if you only got 4 hours sleep a night?

There are some who just get their mark and then skive off, so they can blow their money on the latest game on the weekend; But since I turned 16 my parents expect me to pay rent, help towards the food bill, pay for my car/lessons (one of the reasons I'm not learning how to drive)... EMA allows me to do this and stay in education. EMA gives me the chance to go to university (the first person in my family who's going to university to study, not to mop the floors) and gives me a real chance to make something of my life.

When I was at uni I was in class mon to thur 9 to 5 and studying all evening (You are expected to do 60-70+ hours a week studying Law) - and I worked three 12 hour shifts on fri, sat, sun... sucked majorly, but it can be done.

A lot of people at college (or still in high school) are there just to slack off because they can't be bothered getting a job. Good attendance and/or good grades should be a pre-requisite to staying in higher education.

I could watch that thing on m0nsta's sig all day... lol

Talk about going off topic... :rolleyes:

It can be done. I'm in my second year of uni now. I'm also the first from my family to go to uni and my parents can't provide me any financial support. But I manage and tbh being here is still a lot of fun. Theres no point giving sob stories about 4hours sleep per night. It's extremely rare when you actually need to do that.

The point of EMA isn't to relieve rent costs etc anyway. It's £30 a week. If your in sure dire straights that you've got to work that many hours just to pay the parents rent then £30 is nothing anyway. It doesn't allow you to go to college. It saves you 5hours work a week, which as we all know is nothing.

Back