Do you want Scotland to be independent

Its not realy a world affair
What it is that there is a Party Called the snp(scottish national party) who want scotland to Be independent hnce the name and does not want to be part of the uk because they think we are treated uinfairly and are ruled by people hundreds of miles away and do not know wjhat we need.

A lot of my mates qualify for EMA so the past two years we've been at college they have taken full advantage of the system. It means that neither of them really see the point in getting a part-time job because they believe they can survive on £30 a week, which is pretty good but they still manage to come up skint on Friday nights. And annoys the hell outa me as my parents are so stingy so I have to work at Sainsbury's 8 hours a week, which is HELL.

To accually get your 30 quid a week you must attend every lecture/lesson which means that when they haven't got their coursework ready to hand in (like me) they are really put off doing it at home in the library etc. :p, because they want their money, respectively. So in that sense I kind of agree with the system seeing it accually work in reality it prolly does boost their grades/achievements etc. and make them stay in college, which is the overall aim I think.

Nevertheless the money is given to the kids to so that they will buy "books and stationary"... well, thats bollocks. More like Becks and White Lightening.

Hm, is it true that it does become independant Gordon Brown will have no chance of being the prime minister because he's scottish? If that's so then explain to me - because the Queen's german.

If anything, we get Eurovision points. I've mentioned this in the scottish thread I think...

Just put a boot in Englands ass like America did !

The English sure do have a tendency to opress other nations:

Scotland
Ireland
South Africa (Apartide, the english are sort of known for there intolerance/Racism)

Now thats not to say all English are like that, but there government officials sure do seem to be a bunch of cock in the mouth's.

Guess im sort of biast, im a scotch/irish american whiteboy.

two words for the English, WILLIAM WALLICE !!

Last edited:
captainff said:
Much as the current political setup annoys and frustrates me, with MP's from NI,Wales and Scotland voting on issues that will only affect the English, I think that devolution is a very bad idea.

Why?

Because 4 parliaments means 4 groups of politicians who need to feed from the trough of public money...

Because if the EU gets its way we will all be part of a European Superstate within 20 years which will render the whole exercise as pointless...

Because for every Scot who thinks they get a bad deal there is one English person who believes the same thing, but we can't all be getting a bad deal out of the union,can we?

Because of the old adage - 'divide and conquer' - as a group of small nations we are weaker than as one combined nation...

There are some strong feelings generated by this issue. I think that some of those feelings are stimulated by those who have the most to gain from the devolution process i.e. politicians.

If everyone thinks they've got a bad deal why should they stick together? You're right though, devolution is a joke- I favour a federal system like the US or Germany, where each nation in the UK has a high degree of autonomy and the central parliament only votes on matters which matter to the union as a whole (e.g. defense). However, I think it's only fair Scotland should at least have the right to decide by referendum whether it should be independent, since it was a separate nation for hundreds of years that was unwillingly forced into the UK and there is currently a large number of Scots in favour of independence.

Frogger said:
Hm, is it true that it does become independant Gordon Brown will have no chance of being the prime minister because he's scottish? If that's so then explain to me - because the Queen's german.

If anything, we get Eurovision points. I've mentioned this in the scottish thread I think...

If Scotland remained part of the Commonwealth, then yes, he could still become prime minister.

Last edited:
Funky Gibbon said:
Funny how you missed the above m0nsta so doubt im very racist, as for copying and pasting your talking crap.

By the way the Union Jack incorporates the St Andrews Cross, St Georges Cross and the Welsh Flag. So FYI my comments are directed at those who belive in the union (last time i checked the union didn't represent a single race), and not directed at one specific race. Whos the ignoramus now?

Which part of the union flag incorporates the Welsh flag, where is the kick ass dragon???
I’m probably in favour of a federal system like NapalmBrain, as I think it’s important that we try to re-affirm our welsh culture that was suppressed for too long. We have the oldest language in Europe that was nearly destroyed by the Welsh knot and we have Doctor Who!

I’m not sure if this affects Scotland, but I do know that if Wales gets independence it’s no longer apart of the EU and would have to re-apply. Stupid loophole ¬¬

Haz said:
Just to rub salt into the wounds.

England MP's are not allowed to vote on Scottish matters in the Scottish parliment, yet Scotts are allowed to vote in London on English matters.

Hence why England has top up fees and Scotland doesn't - Seems bloody unfair.

Devolution is just a total waste of money - Wales / Ireland / England / Scotland has such synergy together, why incur costs separately.

If the split is to happen, it should be paid for soley by the Scottish Tax Payer. I pay enough tax putting lazy children through school. EMA! ****ing EMA - you lazy shits! Why the hell should I pay for something you should be doing anyway?!?!?

Dumb Government, "Let's reward children for doing something they should be doing". We are creating a generation of lazy people, who will only do things for money.

-Rant

What you just stated isn't fair to anyone receiving EMA at all. People receiving EMA get it because of their household income, it is not the child's fault that their parents can't get a decent job.

Example, myself, boring background information coming up.

My dad left my family when I was 22 months old, he took most of the money my mum had because she's an idiot and foolishly gave it to him and went off abroad. Meaning that he does not have to pay for child funds, 2 kids, seems a bit unfair, he owes me a couple of grand. My mum, gave up her career to be with my lovely father and now her qualifications are out of date. Handling 2 children on her own, she was forced out of work with little money.

At the age of 16 my mum stops getting any benefits for me, I turned 16 in April.

I'm sorry if we're getting some sort of childhood back with EMA, boo hoo.

Now, in the UK it would be morally right to help someone would it not? Without it, we'd have no health care, and surely everyone needs it once in a while, there's always family members who need it, that would cost BUCKETS of money for my family.

Benefits treat people as equal and provide people with the amount to live on that is above the poverty line. Do you want people in poverty, really? Because, I thought that's what everyone tries to prevent because we're all responsible for people's actions some way or another.

EMA is a fricking Godsend to me, it's there to provide what you need for your education. You get bonuses if you're progressing in your work. Progression, lazy? Nah, don't think so mate. To maintain EMA you HAVE to obey a certain level of attendance, to show you're putting in the effort in your work.

I don't call my mum lazy because she receives benefits, I call her damn well amazing for raising two children on her own with no additional fees.

I don't know if there's any point in me going on here because I just see you as ignorant. You have no idea what circumstances people are in. The UK is the only country that would think that people are all in the same boat together, and no one should ever be put to living on the streets. If you want a place without benefits, fine, next time you need the hospital; go to a different country.

Frogger said:
What you just stated isn't fair to anyone receiving EMA at all. People receiving EMA get it because of their household income, it is not the child's fault that their parents can't get a decent job.

Example, myself, boring background information coming up.

My dad left my family when I was 22 months old, he took most of the money my mum had because she's an idiot and foolishly gave it to him and went off abroad. Meaning that he does not have to pay for child funds, 2 kids, seems a bit unfair, he owes me a couple of grand. My mum, gave up her career to be with my lovely father and now her qualifications are out of date. Handling 2 children on her own, she was forced out of work with little money.

At the age of 16 my mum stops getting any benefits for me, I turned 16 in April.

I'm sorry if we're getting some sort of childhood back with EMA, boo hoo.

Now, in the UK it would be morally right to help someone would it not? Without it, we'd have no health care, and surely everyone needs it once in a while, there's always family members who need it, that would cost BUCKETS of money for my family.

Benefits treat people as equal and provide people with the amount to live on that is above the poverty line. Do you want people in poverty, really? Because, I thought that's what everyone tries to prevent because we're all responsible for people's actions some way or another.

EMA is a fricking Godsend to me, it's there to provide what you need for your education. You get bonuses if you're progressing in your work. Progression, lazy? Nah, don't think so mate. To maintain EMA you HAVE to obey a certain level of attendance, to show you're putting in the effort in your work.

I don't call my mum lazy because she receives benefits, I call her damn well amazing for raising two children on her own with no additional fees.

I don't know if there's any point in me going on here because I just see you as ignorant. You have no idea what circumstances people are in. The UK is the only country that would think that people are all in the same boat together, and no one should ever be put to living on the streets. If you want a place without benefits, fine, next time you need the hospital; go to a different country.

!!! My dad died when I was just a young child, my mum had to work and raise 4 children - so don't you dare call me ignorant!

EMA was not around when I was growing up, so I had to get a part time job to finance anything I needed for education and for social activities (so did my brothers and sisters). I survived and am now at University and also working for one of the worlds largest computers firms as a Marketing Events Organiser.
So I think I've done more than fine without EMA.

Your point about healthcare has nothing to do with EMA - the NHS is funded through Taxes & National Insurance which when you get a job you will realise that this is directly deducted from your pay - hence the NHS is only indirectly a free service.

If EMA was a proper benefit, it should go to the schools directly and allow for free stationary and text books - not to the children who spend it on social activities.

EMA real aim is to keep lazy children in school by motivating them by money. It has little to do with helping those families who struggle with their financial position.

And before you call me ignorant again, think about this, "Millions of people have lived and gone to school without the need for EMA, it's just we now live in a yob society where children can't do anything without a reward".

If you don't want an education then don't go to school - bum about and be a loser in life, I do not see why I have to pay for you to attend.

Also are you telling me that 100% of your EMA goes on school related material - I think not!

EMA should be scrapped and replaced by a 'free material for schools system, where by schools are funded to provide material (pens / books / etc) free to students.

In short, EMA is a joke and I despise anyone who thinks otherwise.

People should only be rewarded when they have done something above what they are expected to do - we are in the process of raising a generation of children who will not be able to function later in life.

*posted this before (in the official scottish thread) but here it is again*

The SNP are the dominant single party in our Parliament - but they won't succeed in holding a referendum. All the other parties (majority) oppose this. And I believe the Scottish people will vote 70+% in favour of staying in the union - so we won't be splitting from the union.

Also it was a Scottish king who created the Union (by becoming King of Scotland and England at the same time) - King James VI and I (6th James of Scotland 1st of England). He succeeded Elizabeth the 1st in 1603 - Union of the parliament occured in 1707

What I like about Scotland is our Nihilistic drinking culture, the way we embrace mediocrity and all the NEDS! - haha.

nah there's good things about living here too. Its better than living in a 3rd world country or warzone...

Independence would suck for scotland (initially). It would destabalize the housing market and the economy. As wll as scaring off big business and preventing new buisiness start ups. All UK businesses (that currently have a HQ in scotland) would shift their headquaters south.
I think too many Scots have watched braveheart a few too many times (Alex Salmond). The oil reserves would have made us a rich country 20 years ago are nearly depleted. Its a sad fact that all of the revenue generated by North-Sea oil mainly went towards paying for the massive unemployment in the UK during the Thatcher years.

I'd love Scotland to be a successful independent country - but I'm not willing to undergo the 10 to 20 years of personal financial strain and various other problems in order to achieve this. Its hard enough for my generation with house prices being insanely expensive - and consumer debt being out of control...

Last edited:
Frogger said:
You get bonuses if you're progressing in your work. Progression, lazy? Nah, don't think so mate. To maintain EMA you HAVE to obey a certain level of attendance, to show you're putting in the effort in your work.
Attendance does not equal effort in all cases.

EMA is reinforcing the 'handout' society.....the 'I don't need to better myself because I can claim benefits' society. It is not fair,right or proper that 2 students should be treated differently just because of their parents income.

back to topic.....

I am the only one who wishes that in England we were allowed to be as 'patriotic' as the Welsh, Irish and Scots without being labelled as racist?

captainff said:

I am the only one who wishes that in England we were allowed to be as 'patriotic' as the Welsh, Irish and Scots without being labelled as racist?

I so know what you mean. I'm not a racist, I'm a realist. It's a fact that if immigration keeps at the level it is currently at, the economy will eventually collapse. Migrants only contribute £0.01 to the GDP (Gross Domestic Product)!

Back