Do yourself a favor: Rent SMG before buying

Spyro

Wii60
Jul 11, 2007
I played the demo of Super Mario Galaxy at gamestop. Here are my thoughts

-Controls felt disgusting
-in order to do a spin attack, you cant just shake the remote...it has to be pointed at the screen.
-CAMERA ANGLES were so awful! And on top of that, they changed at random!
-graphics didn't impress me. at all. but i know not many care about that.
-controlling mario's movement was about as easy as making an elephant jump
-overall unappealing to me, it felt rushed and unpolished.

wow, i never was excited about this, but it doesnt sound like other reviews and news ive seen and heard. This is bad news for people who want this game.

Wow man, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I just placed a 5$ preorder at gamestop today... making me think twice. I was hoping they wouldnt go crazy with the wii controls. I can deal with less than perfect cameras and stuff. but requiring usage of the cursor to perform regular attacks is kinda pushing it.

Spyro said:
I played the demo of Super Mario Galaxy at gamestop. Here are my thoughts

-Controls felt disgusting
-in order to do a spin attack, you cant just shake the remote...it has to be pointed at the screen.
-CAMERA ANGLES were so awful! And on top of that, they changed at random!
-graphics didn't impress me. at all. but i know not many care about that.
-controlling mario's movement was about as easy as making an elephant jump
-overall unappealing to me, it felt rushed and unpolished.
Out of all the reading and videos that have been up, I can only come to the conclusion that you've never played Mario 64 or other 3d platform games before.

Seriously, either it's you that is having problems with the game or every other person that's been caught on camera playing this game is a genius that makes the controls look easy, and have somehow managed to "tame" the camera like professional cameramen (and camerawomen). Graphics do seem fine to me (perhaps it's that lack of the overuse in bloom lighting and hazing effect).

And Rushed? It's been in development for a good length of time (since the concept came from that demo thing for the gamecube - Mario 128).

Nah, I still think it'll be awesome.

i was at gamestop just now buying a 360 game and i saw it there, and i stopped, thought about playing it, and went, no it probably sucks, idn why ppl are so hyped for it and walked out lol.

now im glad i didnt waste the time.

not to flame all you mario fans, but i think the game is going to suck to people who arent fans of mario. im not a huge mario fan, but 64 was good. i just dont think this one will be worth it.

1 person says that the game is poor and you all decide you aint gonna get the game?
wassup wid dat?!
what you playin at?! seriously!
its gonna kick ass- everything ive heard about the game, except this, has been positive, best graphics on wii, awesome, simple controls, this guy is just part of the TINY minority who says the game sucks... i'll decide that after i buy it.
!

The poster did not say to avoid the game all togather. He said to rent first, which for some people isnt a bad idea.

EDIT: when i was at my local gamestop today, there is a wii system out, but no Galaxy demo up. Does that mean one of the employees has it at home??? ...Bastards

Last edited:
Squall7 said:
Out of all the reading and videos that have been up, I can only come to the conclusion that you've never played Mario 64 or other 3d platform games before.

Seriously, either it's you that is having problems with the game or every other person that's been caught on camera playing this game is a genius that makes the controls look easy, and have somehow managed to "tame" the camera like professional cameramen (and camerawomen). Graphics do seem fine to me (perhaps it's that lack of the overuse in bloom lighting and hazing effect).

And Rushed? It's been in development for a good length of time (since the concept came from that demo thing for the gamecube - Mario 128).

Nah, I still think it'll be awesome.
That's what i'm thinking, there is no way the game is that bad, sure NP reviews mean nothing but other reviews famitsu gave it a high score.

Every preview I've read so far has said exactly the opposite on every one of those counts. They praise the controls, the camera angles, and the graphics.

Back