Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Does God exist?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by RPGMasterTurk91, Nov 19, 2009.

1. ARav989

ARav989 WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 6597-7058-7157-6973
    6597-7058-7157-6973
    So I've been thinking a lot since school started again. I've been asking myself what do I really believe? And I think I've found the answer. An answer that I think I've always known, just never brought up in fear of letting down family and friends. Possibly even myself.

Though that's done with and I've decided for myself; as an individual. I believe there is no God. I believe Catholicism is a religion based upon fear. A fear in the sense of high authorities in the Church creating ideas (such as hell and burning in fires for the rest of eternity) to keep the people in line.

I believe that religion was created for reassurance in the sense that it makes people content to know/think they know where they go after they die. I also think that it was created to keep people in line while they live. To keep people from doing "unethical" things. Though I think this is understood by most people.

I've learned for myself that science gives me enough explanation. It has facts and logic, which I base all my opinions around. When someone force feeds me God saying, "believe this.", "why?", "because we ****ing said so. The Bible says so." "But-", "Shut the hell up, and believe."
    The above quotes is how I feel my faith has been based up on. Also with 12 years of Catholic studies, I've got a pretty good grip of this theology.

And it sickens me. I hate going to Scripture class. I hate having to spew what i was taught back at the teacher in homework assignments. Because simply, I find it's a waste of 41 minutes in my day. I only go to that school because it's one of the best in the state.

Now here's what I have to say that's good about Catholicism. It has given me a good moral basis. It's taught me many strong ethical traits I'll need in life. The Bible is an amazing book. It teaches me how to think outside the box and raises many good symbolic stories.

where does this bring me now? I'll believe that there could be something there. Though there most likely isn't. Right now I don't care. Right now, I'll follow my own path. I don't want any of God's "special path" that he's designed for me.

2. PokeChamp

PokeChamp Lurking

Wii Friend Code: 1831-7102-8397-5382
    1831-7102-8397-5382
    To me, there is no such thing as a "God" or any kind of Deity. DPrinny stated in this forum somewhere his Religion is a "404 Not Found" Kind of thing. Well that's damn representative of what I am. No religion = No way to find out how to "emotionally" hurt me.

But I SWEAR that this thread is severely against the rules. Either that or they changed them. Any thread with the topic of religion usually isn't allowed, because it's a HUGE opportunity for trolling.

EDIT: Hot dayumm I've grown up ten years mentally in just one physical year.

3. Napalmbrain

Napalmbrain WiiChat Member

There's nothing in the rules which prohibits topics like this, but if people start flaming/trolling then me or one of the other mods can lock it.

4. DBloke

DBloke RIP and tea you say?
    Staff Member Moderator

Wii Friend Code: 8041-7231-3447-6164
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    I think the thread your referring to is The Advent Calender thread

5. Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney™

Wii Friend Code: 2731-8224-5251-0572
    2731-8224-5251-0572
    - lmao! well, i still and always will believe in my Christianity. There's no way you can prove anything pretty much, even if you back it up with any facts. For those who say that God is the problem that there is wars going on and etc. etc., why must you blame him? Every good christian knows that God does not cause grief, it's the people that do it. America, good ol' America, was founded, and who did? People who were strong believers of Christianity. Back then, there was prayer in school, etc. etc. and we were blessed with God's grace. Now, America is deciding to be liberal, and take away prayer from school, the 'pledge of the alligiance to the flag' and even the 'In God We Trust' on the nations dollar! Doing this, now God's blessing is going away from us, and making life hard. :frown2:

6. The Storm

The Storm Legendary Super Saiyan

Right... Umm... Im not too keen to agree with that, Boz... Say for instance if I believed there was a god... What your saying is kind of blaming him for your troubles anyways. You say times were good back then because the people who founded this country did prayer and worshipped him, so he gave us his grace... And nowadays, bc we dont do that... Life is hard bc he took away his blessing.

If your a true christian and you read that... It doesnt make any sense. I was fed christiaity as a child as well... And to my knowledge, God is supposed to love you unconditionally... Regardless of your belief or devotion to him. Correct me if im wrong plz, I havent payed attention to any of that for awhile.

And Im not trying to flame, im just trying to understand... Cuz it seems like you kind of contradicted yourself bc you say you hate ppl who blame God for war and famine and such... Yet you ended your post saying that the reason life is hard these days is bc of god withdrawing his blessing... Which contradicts christianity itself, if i am correct.

7. Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney™

Wii Friend Code: 2731-8224-5251-0572
    2731-8224-5251-0572
    Not much as hate, but i dislike it. Life is hard, and God isn't going to just magically give you a million bucks on a day you need it, but he's a forgiving God, yet, he doesn't like people worshiping other religions, idols, etc. In a way, i did contradict myself in some way, but it's hard to explain it half the times. (only 15, if i could be a master at this, it would be hard.) but, there are other Christians (most churches) saying that there's a rapture-thing that's going to happen when Jesus comes from heaven. this is not true. they believe that Jesus will come, take all the Christains, and burn the earth with everyone in it. (This is the main reason why most other people say God is nothing but trouble.) it's not true, and i believe i explained it somewhere on here. but, (and im not flaming you either) it's not my place to judge the ways of other people and their religion. if i were to judge, saying that this and that are wrong, and etc. I would be hypocritical, and going against my own religion. the main point is that it's hard proving any religion. evolution is something that gets me, and today, i do not see monkeys slowly coming into little men. (no flame, just saying) there's really nothing any could do but just to believe or not to believe.

8. Napalmbrain

Most of your country's Founding Fathers were indeed Christian (although a few of them were deists), but they explicitly founded the US on secular principles. Things like the motto on coins and the pledge of allegiance didn't come until later, and it's not unreasonable to suggest the Founding Fathers never wanted things that way.

That's not how it works. Modern day monkeys are not our 'grandparents', they're more like our 'cousins'. You shouldn't expect them to evolve into humans.

9. RPGMasterTurk91

RPGMasterTurk91 Turkish RPG Master

Hey guys I'm still going to be extremely busy for the next 2 weeks or so, I have 5 finals coming up within 10 days time, but I will become active again once I have the time, don't assume I gave up on the threads as I have not.

Thanks for continuing a civilized discussion, by the way (no sarcasm).

10. her01771

her01771 retired competive brawler

Wii Friend Code: 3653-1119-7805-0000
    3653-1119-7805-0000
    my mom is catholic (and napalm, I know because spain bought that 2 mexico) but i think i will be christian. wat is up with "saints"

11. Napalmbrain

:confused:

I don't have any reason to doubt your mom is a Catholic...

12. her01771

3653-1119-7805-0000
    no, but i thought u were going to say cathloism was etc. by spain

13. Napalmbrain

I wasn't. Besides, I didn't even know you were from Mexico.

14. AndThen?

AndThen? pull the trigger.

Wii Friend Code: 0000-0000-0000-0000
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Lol, back when everyone was conservative and religious, "God's grace" was a superficial knowledge of science and very poor healthcare. Also, a complete intolerance to any non-Christian lifestyles. War still existed. Disease existed in a BIG way. And people putting all their faith in God didn't help things. Sorry, but "God's grace" doesn't sound worth it to me.

I was seriously thinking about this the other day, though... and I came to the conclusion that if God existed, God can't be all-loving. There are people born with horribly crippling genetic diseases and deformations, people who could possibly have followed a good, Christian lifestyle, people who could have believed in and fought for the "grace of God", who never get a chance due to the fact that their malformations have squandered any hope they had of reaching their potential. That is not "the people" causing grief - if God exists, he is to be held accountable for the cruel, unfair way in which these people were born.

So therefore I don't believe in there being a perfect, all-loving God. So if God exists, he is an imperfect god. Which kind of defeats the purpose of the Christian god. And God in general, basically. So I think it's just a lot more logical and far easier to fathom that God doesn't exist - **** happens, but it not at the fault of anyone particularly.

Just as a side note, a liberal lifestyle means that I'm free to be who I am. My life is far better off without your so-called "grace".

And this is what pisses me off about a lot of the naysayers of evolution. They have no idea what they're talking about.

15. baxcrunner

baxcrunner WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 3629-9416-8700-0980
    3629-9416-8700-0980
    I would like to contribute on this subject.

I have FAITH in God. I have Faith in Jesus Christ. Not just belief but faith and belief.

Here is what I believe.
    1. I love God. He loves me and the rest of us.
    2. He made everything.
    3. There is such a thing as evolution. I admit that. Just look at the AIDS virus. Why is it so hard to kill? Because it keeps evolving to combat our medicines. But it is still the AIDS virus. Correct? However, it will never cease to be that. It will never get to be a new species of virus. There is no species jump up the ladder of survival. God made everything as it should be.
    4. Here is when the devil comes in. Does he not believe there is God? For he was once one of his heavenly host. When he rebelled and was thrown down he still believed but just doesn’t have faith. For those of you who say you believe, let me ask you, do you have faith? This is what connects you to God.
    5. God forgives.

Why do I believe?

I was born and raised Catholic. I am no longer Catholic. I would call it non-denominational. Ever since I was little I’ve believed in God. It was about 5th grade I began to read the King James Bible. I had always put my Faith in God and so I’d always known He was there. It’s just this feeling I can’t describe. I was reading the Bible through because I wanted to truly understand what I believed and why? I realized later that this was the why. It’s just this feeling that you know to be true. I’ve always had but just never realized it. I put my Faith in God also because I cannot completely understand Him. If I knew what my God would do on every occasion and the why, He would not be God. It’s truly amazing to me. So the things I cannot understand, I put my Faith in.

Why does God let the bad stuff happen in this world?

He doesn’t. There is a constant struggle between Good and Evil within each of us that believe. It’s just who we listen to depending on the situation. For those who don’t believe: God is not in you but with you. Since you don’t believe he will not be there, inside you, to fight for you. So only the Devil would be there. But why would he bother you now that he’s won? He would just leave you up to your own choices and thoughts to do whatever you wish. But as soon as you ask God to be there inside you, HE's fighting for the good. But some of you would say "Nothings changed. I still have the conflicts in my head over what I think is good and right." Right and wrong. Now the Devil has come up to win you back over to him. So there you are right. But you are wrong because God is there fighting for you. You just have to realize He's there. But here is where the Bible comes in. I read it to understand where to base what I think is right and wrong. So I try to react accordingly. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don’t. Sometimes God wins the battle in my heart and sometimes the Devil does but God is always in me because I have Faith.

God Loves us.

16. her01771

3653-1119-7805-0000
    ^very tue.^
    Napalm, I would tell u to investigate about god. find his evidece. you would be surprised how much u would find.

17. DG~X

DG~X Dont read this.

Wii Friend Code: 1923-6615-4080-7852
    1923-6615-4080-7852
    Yes i do believe in god.I got to church,do all that good stuff.But,as probably said it depends what religion you are.Like my 2nd cousins are jewish so they dont believe in god,and jesus they think he did exist but he was nothing special.The only real proof people have that god exist is how is the whole universe here today.The big bang theory is an ok theory but for me its not very accurate.

18. AndThen?

0000-0000-0000-0000
    How much do you know about the Big Bang theory?

19. DG~X

DG~X Dont read this.

Wii Friend Code: 1923-6615-4080-7852
    1923-6615-4080-7852
    I know so,so.I learned it last year.But,its just a theory,thats all thats it going to be.

20. AndThen?

0000-0000-0000-0000
    Lol, the only difference between a law and a theory is the beliefs of the general populous. I think you'll find that the Big Bang theory is a lot more "accurate" than the Universe being created in seven days. And a FAR better explanation for the Universe than anything else.

How would your belief system explain things like the expansion of the universe (general red-shift of galaxies observed from Earth), cosmic background radiation, and other evidence pointing towards the Big Bang? I'm sorry, but you were wronggg to bring up physics here. Lol wait for Napalm.