Does the elite fix the red ring of death?

FRuMMaGe

Waluigi's #1 Fan!
Dec 18, 2006
England
Wii Online Code
2482-6460-3144-9934
Microsoft have apoligized many times for making such an unpredictable console. I was just wondering if the red ring of death was fixed in the new XBox 360 Elite?

I have a 360 at the moment but I could get an elite for just £40 if I trade it in. I was wondering if the improvements are worth it.

FRuMMaGe said:
Microsoft have apoligized many times for making such an unpredictable console. I was just wondering if the red ring of death was fixed in the new XBox 360 Elite?

I have a 360 at the moment but I could get an elite for just £40 if I trade it in. I was wondering if the improvements are worth it.
No it's not fixed.
It's the exact same internal specs as any other 360.
The only difference is that it's black and has a 120GB harddrive. If you have an older 360, the Elite also has HDMI.

Oh ok. You would have thought that Micro$oft would have siezed this oppurtunity to make a console that doesn't have a 50% failure rate within a year, but once again Mr Gates has squatted down and took a crap on the little guys.

trade it in anyway, if it only cost £40

you have a brand new one, and much bigger memory, and Black, and hdmi

well worth it

krisv2010 said:
and doesn't the elites come with 2 free games now?
It will.
Forza 2 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance.
That will come out within the next few weeks. Same with the pro/premium package.
The core packack gets completely revamped with a 256MB memory stick, 5 Xbox live arcade titles, composite AV cables, and a wireless controller and the same two games also.
Yep yep.

FRuMMaGe said:
Oh ok. You would have thought that Micro$oft would have siezed this oppurtunity to make a console that doesn't have a 50% failure rate within a year, but once again Mr Gates has squatted down and took a crap on the little guys.
lol, Bill Gates

weewii said:
Still haven't gotten back my 360 yet. Its been like 3 months.
You should probably call them then. it should only take 4-6 weeks or something. I heard somewhere it went down a little, but i'm not sure.

So, Go look at my thread over here for the answer. 360 at Target

In short, No, it does not.
They still use the same .98 nm chips rather than newer .65 nm chips, meaning they run just as hot and just as loud.
They still use the cheaper solder that becomes brittle over time from heat changes, and develops micro-fractures causing increased resistance.
And they still, apparently, have the same bad design on the disc drive, causing circular disc scratching.

And yes Virginia, the do get the three light Red Ring of Death.

But then again, they also play awesome games, and have a 120 gb hard drive, so, you know, whatever...

I've heard elites have extra heat syncs, although my elite feels the same as premiums.

Happy said:
I've heard elites have extra heat syncs, although my elite feels the same as premiums.
Nope. They have the exact same internals as any other 360. I know they added another heat sync to the 360's a while ago to help witht he overheating problem though.

As Krusnik says, starting around the time of the release of the Elite, they upgraded the heatsinks in ALL XBoxes released. So, Elites have a better heatsink that the original XBox core and premium versions, but not better than the ones you can buy new now.

Also, they didn't add more heatsinks, they simply replaced the existing ones with LARGER ones.

So, less likely to overheat. AND less likely to, as a result of overheating, suffer motherboard deformation that results in having the CPU and/or GPU separate from the motherboard, causing the primary type of 3 light failure. But they still have them. They still fail, and they still suffer errors that brick them.

TiwazTyrsfist said:
So, Go look at my thread over here for the answer. 360 at Target

In short, No, it does not.
They still use the same .98 nm chips rather than newer .65 nm chips, meaning they run just as hot and just as loud.
They still use the cheaper solder that becomes brittle over time from heat changes, and develops micro-fractures causing increased resistance.
And they still, apparently, have the same bad design on the disc drive, causing circular disc scratching.

And yes Virginia, the do get the three light Red Ring of Death.

But then again, they also play awesome games, and have a 120 gb hard drive, so, you know, whatever...
lol, i was jsut about to link youre thread.

Back