Favorite Rapper/Hip Hop Artist

WAIT A SECOND
HOW DID I NOT NOTICE THIS THREAD FELLAS/FELLETTES.
Goodness, I've got so much stick around here for being a Hip-hop fan, didn't realise there were other cool people round here :| and it looks like some of you guys have some real knowledge, but I gotta go, so I'll talk to you's about this later :D

My favourite artists: Andre 3000 (listen to his lyrics), Immortal Technique, The Roots, Jedi Mind Tricks, Common and Slick Rick to name a few.

Mos Def and Talib Kweli are also inspirational, but not my faves.

Do you guys actually buy or just download Hip-hop albums? I got just under 200 CD albums.. (just curious).

Ever? Got to be 2Pac for me. There's a large list of ones that I like though.

Chewy said:
You don't consider poetry an art?
"poetry"?

Here is some of a rap song directly copied from a lyrics website.
Some gay rapper said:
[Intro - 50 Cent - talking, breathing noises in background]
Hey pass that *****, we gettin' high
Yo, yo this is some bomb **** right here man
50 can't even smoke this motherf**ker (ah haha, haha)

[Verse 1]
I can't smoke weed, cause my PO make me piss in a cup
***** go ahead, disrespect me, I'll **** you up
I ain't talkin' about a fist fight, I'll cut you up
Yo don't want stitches in yo grill mother****er, then chill
As a young buck, niggas always knew I puff
Yousta see me go to school, on a smoiler bus (woo)
I'm a sped ed kid, I'm gettin' all this paper (uh huh)
You should sit, scibble lines and see where it take ya
Had violent tendencies, so they thought I was dumb
Why the so called smart kids was poppin' guns
I think about poppin' a gun, and then get the lump sum
Grampa my role model, yousta suck on a bottle
A pint a Crown Royal, make your insides boil
Been smell like Ben Gay, cause his back go out
He the one that taught me, what bein' black's about
Now peep the roach on the walls, that fall and crawl on my friend's
Wrist, Sittin' up in them Benz, to be in the pen
In the hood we hit the number, but never the lotto
Life in the fast lane, one wheel hit the pothole
Let's go, let's flow *****

[Chorus - Singing - 2X]
War, what is it good for absolutely nothin'
But niggas keep frontin'
F**k a *****, live like a soldier
Die like a soldier

[Outro - Talking]
War, state of mercy *****
You see me pop off *****
Ain't no peace talk, ***** ass *****
Fake gangsta *****, you want to seem ***** (yeah)
You don't seem *****, yeah *****
Right? Kayslay, Whoo Kid
50 Cent, new ****
My ***** Lloyd Banks, Tony Yayo, G-Unit
Niggas, niggas, "Rotten Apple"
And ***** shy money, ain't fail *****
Uh huh, ya heard
Now please explain why that is "art" and not just some angry as**ole moaning?

FRuMMaGe said:
"poetry"?

Here is some of a rap song directly copied from a lyrics website.

Now please explain why that is "art" and not just some angry as**ole moaning?

ok Frummage i see ur point and though i am not a huge "rap" fan i can argue for it.

First off the lyrics u post there is "rap" which is pure garbage...look at the real side of it "Hip Hop" which is not a genre of music. Its a culture or a belief system that was birthed out of a desire to manifest one's self in a society that was deemed unfair to African-American's in the early 1970's.

I myself being "white" and having grown up in Brooklyn NY, home to A LOT of hip hop artists, i grew fond of the art growing up.

Hip-Hop taught the youth, and still teaches indirectly, that you can be who you want to be in the sense of not being what people want you to be. That has a certain truth to it, but if taken the wrong way, it turns into rebellion against basic laws and truths that govern our society as a whole (which is why so many kids think today "rap" is all about packin heat and sellin drugs and pimpin hoes). Hip-Hop began to change the very appearance of its followers by creating a look, a way of governing yourself, and a language that should be spoken. What this created was a subculture of our American culture, and it caused our youth to go against the basic pattern of society and manifest their own will regardless of what it cost them socially and spiritually. It is basically the samething as you a "hardcore" person is. You have ur own way of dressing, acting and beliefs.

Believe it or not Hip Hop is an art, a Poem, a drawing on a wall, the way someone dresses.

In my honest opinon, i would choose hip hop over hardcore that you listen to. cuz first off i can understand what the artist is saying and second i can relate to it better even though i am white, because i grew up in Brooklyn, NY. People are quick to judge the face of it all, but if you actually take the time to get to know the "culture" it is a wonderful thing.

Last edited:
Bliss said:
ok Frummage i see ur point and though i am not a huge "rap" fan i can argue for it.

First off the lyrics u post there is "rap" which is pure garbage...look at the real side of it "Hip Hop" which is not a genre of music. Its a culture or a belief system that was birthed out of a desire to manifest one's self in a society that was deemed unfair to African-American's in the early 1970's.

I myself being "white" and having grown up in Brooklyn NY, home to A LOT of hip hop artists, i grew fond of the art growing up.

Hip-Hop taught the youth, and still teaches indirectly, that you can be who you want to be in the sense of not being what people want you to be. That has a certain truth to it, but if taken the wrong way, it turns into rebellion against basic laws and truths that govern our society as a whole (which is why so many kids think today "rap" is all about packin heat and sellin drugs and pimpin hoes). Hip-Hop began to change the very appearance of its followers by creating a look, a way of governing yourself, and a language that should be spoken. What this created was a subculture of our American culture, and it caused our youth to go against the basic pattern of society and manifest their own will regardless of what it cost them socially and spiritually. It is basically the samething as you a "hardcore" person is. You have ur own way of dressing, acting and beliefs.

Believe it or not Hip Hop is an art, a Poem, a drawing on a wall, the way someone dresses.

In my honest opinon, i would choose hip hop over hardcore that you listen to. cuz first off i can understand what the artist is saying and second i can relate to it better even though i am white, because i grew up in Brooklyn, NY. People are quick to judge the face of it all, but if you actually take the time to get to know the "culture" it is a wonderful thing.

I'm speechless. I read the whole of that post, and agreed completly. I've been a big Hip-hop fan for a good few years, and I've argued my case that Hip-hop really isn't the mainstream rap that everyone bases it on. In all honesty, when I first got into the whole genre, I'd mainly listen to West Coast music, NWA, Snoop Dogg etc.. and didn't even think about the lyrics - even nowadays I'll be having a shower and just start rapping a bit of 'From the depths of the sea, back to the block, Snoop Doggy Doggy funky, yes but of the Doc...'

But then I did some research on artists, started listening to lyrics, and had a realisation of real Hip-hop, and that, even though there's a minority, there are lyrics that actually mean something, rather then stereotypical rapper.

I'll be back later with some inspirational verses, can think of some good storytelling ones, but I'll put some thought into it so it doesn't get stereotyped.

BRING ON TEH FLAMINGZ

Samus101 said:
For once, I'm gonna agree with FRuMMaGe.

like Wiired has just said "from one rap song?"

Did u even read the 2 posts above that Wiired and myself have typed?

Back