Final nail in Sony's coffin = Walmart

Spyro

Wii60
Jul 11, 2007
Wal-Mart to sell HD-DVD players (Toshiba) for $99 starting this Sunday. HD-DVD's for $14.

Goodbye Sony.

anyone want to buy one for me and "gift" it through customs?!!
Wonder how long before the UK will get HD-DVD at this price.

screw wal mart. they are a bunch of money hungry local business-outing d-bags. their employees get next to nothing and barely any health care.

What are you talking about? Walk down to your mom and pop' department store and ask them if they have health care. I bet the employees would laugh at you. As far as I know, Walmart offers higher pay rates than almost any department store. They have their sh*t together, thats how they have become so successful. They are at a point, financial-wise to not give up, they want to expand even more.

My girlfriend is a manager at Walmart, and she enjoys her job quite a bit. She makes enough for a college student. They're a department store, plain and simple.

Anyway, I don't think thats going to kill Sony. Without gaming, and Blueray, theres still a huge company. If they fail with Blueray they would support HD.

EDIT:Samxcor3, The Early November quit making music?? That sucks.

samXcor3 said:
their employees get next to nothing and barely any health care.
do they force people to work there?

I wish we had a walmart to buy an HD player for 50quid

llol_slim said:
do they force people to work there?

I wish we had a walmart to buy an HD player for 50quid
And do they force people to shop there and no longer go to the local businesses?

Local businesses are putting themselves out of business.

Skippy said:
Any link to this?

Yeah, I found several sites debunking this - the "Walmart" player price I see being quoted is $299, which is still a good deal ($14 new discs would be outstanding).

I'm still waiting on my UP5000 so I can be Format Neutral :D

~DT

sherwood3570 said:
What are you talking about?

Exactly. That's become the cry of the uninformed who rage against the machine. Most of the "Mom and Pop" arguments are not based on econometric analysis, they lump other major retail chains in with small business, they don't look at creative destruction and recycling.

Anyway, back to cheap HD-DVD players :D

I guess what I meant to say was "The PS3", not "Sony" in general.

Wow, somebody on the AVS forum just posted this:

Circuit City- $90 A2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I called my Circuit City store to see if they'd price match the $99 Best Buy deal. They will and they match 110%. They are selling it to me for $90. However, they will not match the 2 free Instant DVDs that Best Buy has. The nearest Best Buy to me is an hour away, so I'll go with this deal.

And from Best Boob, holy hell:

HD-A2, 2 free instant HD-DVD's, 5 more by mail..... $96.96 out the door!!!

Maybe I will score one of these, even if it eventually migrates upstairs. It's almost "disposable" at this price.

Back