Final nail in Sony's coffin = Walmart

it dosent matter if the units push out, the fact is that more and more movies (newer) are coming to blu-ray and the fact that disney is blu ray is good enough. okay so everyone goes out and buys these hd dvd units....well the movies arent really gonna sell cuz frankley the selection is no where near as good.

Last edited:
^^^ u refering to me? i work in home theater retail, dont talk me.

Yes I'm referring to you - where you work doesn't matter (especially if you make blanket statements) Home theater retail? What Best Buy? Sound Advice? Private HT? That's terrific, but honestly there are so many more dynamics than you suggest.

I'm not committed to one format or the other - if you took the time to READ I have a UP5000 on deck, even though this was too cheap to pass up.

Do you realize how fragile the Disney relationship is [with Sony]? Have you read the stockholder reports about their considerations for "alternate" HD content providers?

Not to mention that a huge number of mainstay film enthusiast titles are on both formats - now what happens when 100K's of HD-DVD players sell, which format [of dual format offerings] are they going to select? Reverse engineer it - when someone wants major films on HD, which player solution are they going to migrate towards? The familiar DVD based product that's $150, or something called Blueray that's $400? Again, there are major consumer price points and brand recognition; HD just made major gains on both.

The DVD consortium has more power than you think, and with 85-90% of adult content going to HD-D because of the cheaper authoring costs, this is *easily* still anyone's battle. I'm sure you remember Beta, UMD and Minidisk - Sony has a history of pouring millions into R&D and marketing for media formats (including gathering significant partners) only to have them fail.

Again, it's far from over.

~DT

Last edited:
Um... I live next to a mall and I check out stores on my way back from work every week. Blue Ray is there, but so is HD. If you want a dominating presence, it's regular DVD. I can say just by looking around it's going to be another year before any of them gain any decent ground. I can't picture Circuit City removing thousands of movies per store over the next day, let alone the next few months. I also agree with DT. Just look at the percentages.

This is very interesting. So, in its most basic form, its:

Good Movies (Blu-Ray) VERSUS Cheap Hardware (HD DVD)?

[DT] said:
Yes I'm referring to you - where you work doesn't matter (especially if you make blanket statements) Home theater retail? What Best Buy? Sound Advice? Private HT? That's terrific, but honestly there are so many more dynamics than you suggest.

I'm not committed to one format or the other - if you took the time to READ I have a UP5000 on deck, even though this was too cheap to pass up.

Do you realize how fragile the Disney relationship is [with Sony]? Have you read the stockholder reports about their considerations for "alternate" HD content providers?

Not to mention that a huge number of mainstay film enthusiast titles are on both formats - now what happens when 100K's of HD-DVD players sell, which format [of dual format offerings] are they going to select? Reverse engineer it - when someone wants major films on HD, which player solution are they going to migrate towards? The familiar DVD based product that's $150, or something called Blueray that's $400? Again, there are major consumer price points and brand recognition; HD just made major gains on both.

The DVD consortium has more power than you think, and with 85-90% of adult content going to HD-D because of the cheaper authoring costs, this is *easily* still anyone's battle. I'm sure you remember Beta, UMD and Minidisk - Sony has a history of pouring millions into R&D and marketing for media formats (including gathering significant partners) only to have them fail.

Again, it's far from over.

~DT

ok i thought u were talking about me. and im glad u know all the Dynamics, i do as well, but i think people, you included but nothing against you, pay to much attention to what possibly might happen. whats happening now is what matters, and fact is blu ray has better movies now by far. people arent gonna go buy a low price HD dvd player if the movie selection is no where near as good and isnt getting any better. all the great stuff is on and coming to blu ray. are you gonna argue that?

^Seconded. None of you that ran out and bought a cheap HD player thought that there might be a reason they are on sale?

lloyd_yayo said:
ok i thought u were talking about me. and im glad u know all the Dynamics, i do as well, but i think people, you included but nothing against you, pay to much attention to what possibly might happen. whats happening now is what matters, and fact is blu ray has better movies now by far. people arent gonna go buy a low price HD dvd player if the movie selection is no where near as good and isnt getting any better. all the great stuff is on and coming to blu ray. are you gonna argue that?

I was saying that neither you nor I know all the complexities of the business behind the current HDM war. I keep up with as much as I can from the various news sources and friends involved in the industry (and try to balance that out with my own business sensibilities).

75% of the movies I will own are on both formats: 300, the Kubrick library, LOTR, etc. Plus there are significant exclusives on both formats. HD-D? Batman Begins, Transformers, Matrix Trilogy, BSG, Heroes, all the Dreamworks/SKG, the Bourne Trilogy, (I'm hearing Potter as and HD-D exclusive? Warner?) etc. There are also major exclusives on BD: Disney/Pixar (this is significant, also see my previous comment), Spiderman (trilogy), Die Hard(s), Ronin, Castaway, some great films.

Barring some simplistic quantity assessment, I'd say the cards are stacked more evenly than not. So the answer is yes, I'll argue that; and yes, that among the 45K+ people bought HD-DVD players (according to the Strategic Partnership manager at Wallymart) there were some who were aware of the available content. Isn't getting better? So when I Am Legend and The Dark Knight get released next year on HD-D only, that's not an improvement? Plus the 100's of titles that will be on BOTH formats?

I'll say this +again+, I plan on migrating the HDA2 I just picked up to the bedroom, and replacing it with a Samsung UP5000 (on order, pushed back to Dec) which is a dual format player (should implement BD Profile 1.1). So I won't really have to worry about exclusives and can choose from the best package for dual format releases, but I still won't disregard HD-D as not being highly competitive.

~DT

LevesqueIsKing said:
^Seconded. None of you that ran out and bought a cheap HD player thought that there might be a reason they are on sale?

So I can apply your same implied logic to the PS3? Sony dropped the price, it must be failing. Come on, that's too easy and poor argument.

Economy of scale as they make/sell more and integrate design/architecture, reduction in chip costs, clearing out older 2nd Gen units, etc. If there was a cost competitive BD player, you could make a sure bet Sony would match the price. In fact, there was a "if there was a $100 BD player" thread, and a huge number of the people who bought an A2/A3 in this recent boom said they'd buy a BD player too!

~DT

Lol, I have no idea what any of you guys are saying.

All I know are the basic laws of supply and demand, which never fail.

Lol. This is why I keep my posts as short as possible. But it would be a boring world if everyone did that. I know most want to be the ONE who predict the end, or success of the PS3. I say let -time- tell the tale. Just be realistic. Don't expect the impossible. Like 10 million PS3's sold this X-mas. That won't happen.

Last edited:
Spyro said:
Im telling you guys, this means the end of the PS3. They just won't be able to get out the good games in time. And it's not like they can remove the Blu-Ray player, all the games are on Blu-Ray!
i doubt it's the end of the ps3. there are no hd-dvds out in australia and other countries, but there are blu-ray discs that go for about $40-$50 au dollars ($25US)... ofcourse the hd-dvd players are cheaper. but ps3 is far from over, and it's future looks promising.

Back