Finally Got DVD playback on my wii

Skippy said:
I'm not a walking encyclopedia of laser wavelengths and DVD pit sizes. Not to mention that information is largely irrelevant to the discussion.

hey man ... if you don't know just say so ... we all know you we're caught in a lie, sucker!!

that information is the standard wavelengths etc. of all standard DVD's 2002 or newer. my brother says anybody involved in video game programming would know these off the top of there head, and would also know that the laser diode is not "very very frequently used" (as you stated before) for gaming purposes ... it is A LOT LESS used in gaming than it is for watching DVD's

but whatever loser ... go ahead mod your wii and let it break down, a b!tch like you doesn't even deserve one anyways, just don't say i didn't warn you

iggypop said:
that information is the standard wavelengths etc. of all standard DVD's 2002 or newer. my brother says anybody involved in video game programming would know these off the top of there head,

For one things, I'm not a game programmer (and never claimed to be). But I have been a programmer for over 20 years. Knowing the wavelength of a laser in a DVD player is totally irellevant to writing code (game or otherwise). A game programmer has no control over laser wavelengths or pits sizes anyway. The main concern is if you can fit all the code and resources needed on the disc.

and would also know that the laser diode is not "very very frequently used" (as you stated before) for gaming purposes ... it is A LOT LESS used in gaming than it is for watching DVD's

It depends a lot on the game. Smaller games can load most of their code into memory and only occasionally have to go back to the disc for more. Other games (like Metroid, do you even have it?) have very frequeny disc activity. 10 hours of playing Metroid is easily comparable to 2 or 3 hours of watching a DVD movie, and puts more wear on the motor that positions the laser as well.

Of course anything will wear down sooner the more its used, however DVD laser diodes are DESIGNED to read data from a disc. That's their purpose in life, you could say. They're a proven technology readily available off-the-shelf to hardware developers. They're not delicate flowers that will melt into a pool of silicon and plastic if you run them to watch a movie instead of playing a game.

but whatever loser ... go ahead mod your wii and let it break down, a b!tch like you doesn't even deserve one anyways, just don't say i didn't warn you

If you look at many of other messages on WiiChat, you will see that I frequently speak out against modding and always recommend against it.

iggypop said:
YEAH RIGHT ... YOU ARE SOOOOO FULL OF SH!T!!!
first off only a moron would say i have a degree in "electronics", it's called electrical engineering and my brother actually is in his 3rd year at devry. so mr. programmer which part of the sentence is false:

DVD-ROM and RAM products are now running the laser diodes at the 635-650 nm range. These can be read at 0.4um pits at approximately 0.74um tracks to store up to 4.9GB. These discs are then readable at 17MB/sec. The newer GrN laser diode has 0.2um pits at 0.55um tracks for greater storage.

my brother calls your bullsh!t CHUMP!!!!!

Devry??? :scared: :lol: :lol: Get a life. That's a matchbook-cover vocational school, not even a real university. And I bet you don't even understand what your little cut-and-paste of DVD data density means. Plus, it has nothing to do with laser diode longevity.

BTW, why the *hell* would a programmer need to know anything about data density of a DVD, much less diode operating life???? The most they would ever need to be concerned about (and only a minority would at that) is data transfer rates.

Personally, I'll stand by my genuine Ph.D. from a *real* university in materials engineering (which includes semiconductors--and a laser diode is a semiconducting device FYI). And I can guarantee that Nintendo didn't use a non-standard laser diode in their DVD drive which can't hold up to the near-continuous use required to stream data off a DVD.

I'll stand by my belief that children should not be allowed to play on the internet, nor post misinformation in forums like this. :yesnod:

Last edited:
Hmmm for the skippy vs iggy debate i vote for.......... well, the doctor of course, Mr. Moze

DrMoze said:
Devry??? :scared: :lol: :lol: Get a life. That's a matchbook-cover vocational school, not even a real university. And I bet you don't even understand what your little cut-and-paste of DVD data density means.

BTW, why the *hell* would a programmer need to know anything about data density of a DVD, much less diode operating life???? The most they would ever need to be concerned about (and only a minority would at that) is data transfer rates.

Personally, I'll stand by my genuine Ph.D. from a *real* university in materials engineering (which includes semiconductors--and a laser diode is a semiconducting device FYI). And I can guarantee that Nintendo didn't use a non-standard laser diode in their DVD drive which can't hold up to the near-continuous use required to stream data off a DVD.

I'll stand by my belief that children should not be allowed to play on the internet, nor post misinformation in forums like this. :yesnod:

no i don't know what any of that means you retard, i told you my brother is the programmer, he knows what it means and it was just to prove that that other loser was talking out his ass.

yeah and i'm sure you have a PhD!!! what was it in again "materials engineering" ... so than you probably built yourself a high tech, top of the line dildo so you can go f*ck yourself. sorry buddy but why don't you move out of your moms basement, get a real girlfriend, and get a pair of balls

and is crazyman your boyfriend?? ... mind your own business b!tch

hey skippy just admit you're a liar and were talking out your ass and Dr.Moze (hahahaha Dr. rrrrright) quit trying to wag your dick around herre like your some big man when we know your a pathetic loser who has to lie on message boards to feel good about yourself

Like i said, mod your wii's and when they wreck i'll be laughin my ass off

later

Hey break it up!
A forum is a place to have civilized discussions and to post opinions. So iggypop should be banned from this forum for not treating others with respect.

Iggy, just remember that throughout life you will encounter people who know more about certain things than you do (and you may know more about other topics). In those circumstances you would do well to take the opportunity to learn from them rather than stubbornly going on the attack and ignoring the issues brought forth.

iggypop said:
no i don't know what any of that means you retard, i told you my brother is the programmer, he knows what it means and it was just to prove that that other loser was talking out his ass.

yeah and i'm sure you have a PhD!!! what was it in again "materials engineering" ... so than you probably built yourself a high tech, top of the line dildo so you can go f*ck yourself. sorry buddy but why don't you move out of your moms basement, get a real girlfriend, and get a pair of balls

and is crazyman your boyfriend?? ... mind your own business b!tch

hey skippy just admit you're a liar and were talking out your ass and Dr.Moze (hahahaha Dr. rrrrright) quit trying to wag your dick around herre like your some big man when we know your a pathetic loser who has to lie on message boards to feel good about yourself

Like i said, mod your wii's and when they wreck i'll be laughin my ass off

later

You can tell he's incredibly bright from his amazingly intellectual adjectives :lol: .

Last edited:
where is a moderator when you need them?:lol:

and iggy, stop telling other people to go grow a d!ck and b_a_lls because your the imature little child here:crazy: , arguing over a phd, god get over it, talk like mature adults. :)

ha ha hahahha you guys are funny, starting an argument over a little discovery.

My wii will not wreck because of DVD playback because nintendo support it. So stop the bullsh*t phd specifications. Also a guy say that it will wreck when updates come out? NO IT WON'T THE WII KEY IS ON STEALTH MODE AND I HAVE UPDATED TO THE CURRENT FIRMWARE WITH NO PROBLEMS.

If you don't wanna mod your wii, THEN DON'T!!!!

I live in Jamaica so games are fricking expensive!!!!! You live in america where u can come and trade and buy game for as low as 50 bucks, that dont work out here. So most of us mod all of our games.

i own a PS2 (modded), Super nintendo (modded), Nintendo 64 (not modded :) ), Playstaion one (modded), sega dreamcast (modded) Xbox Original (modded) Nintendo gamecube (modded) PSP (modded) nintendo DS (modded). With all my modded games I try to make it do more than just play games.

Oh ALL OF THEM ARE STILL WORKING PERFECTLY, NO BRICK NO DESTROYED.

My tv as too av jack but only one works.

If you want more out of your wii, MOD IT. If not go and buy all the original games.

Venom

The funny part is, I really *do* have a PhD in materials (since 1989). And I've been "DrMoze" (yes, with a real doctorate!) on the internet since the mid-90's. Iggy could look it up if he wasn't so preoccupied with his juvenile rants.

But his posts are amusing. Just as long as nobody believes anything in them. ;) Despite his profanities, it's hard to be offended because I just can't take seriously someone who rants on BBs and posts a mix of misinformation and cuss words, using his "brother at devry" as the technical authority! :lol: :lol:

DrMoze said:
The funny part is, I really *do* have a PhD in materials (since 1989). And I've been "DrMoze" (yes, with a real doctorate!) on the internet since the mid-90's. Iggy could look it up if he wasn't so preoccupied with his juvenile rants.

But his posts are amusing. Just as long as nobody believes anything in them. ;) Despite his profanities, it's hard to be offended because I just can't take seriously someone who rants on BBs and posts a mix of misinformation and cuss words, using his "brother at devry" as the technical authority! :lol: :lol:

WOW!!! a doctor of MATERIALS, sounds exciting ... i hope you don't go around introducing yourself as a "doctor" :scared: , because face it buddy your not a REAL doctor, thats just false advertising. so if you've had your doctorate since '89 that would make you about 44, now i would think that a 44 year old man would have better things to do (i.e. a wife, children to take care of, a JOB, etc.) than to play nintendo and argue immaturely back and forth on a message board, which leaves me to believe you really do live in your mom's basement, and haven't ever touched a real girls breast.

but listen, you have fun telling people your a "doctor" while I can take solace in the fact that my job (nurse practitioner) at the largest university in western north america I actually make a difference.

now, i could care less anymore if you believe me or not about the dvd playback, you've taken this thing so far off topic its pathetic .... LET IT GO!!!

iggypop said:
whats the point ... risking damage to your wii by modding it when pretty much everyone nowadays already has 2-3 dvd players in there house and there now like, what 30 bucks to buy.

whooopadeedoo!!!! good job buddy :scared:

hes right. I never saw what the point was last gen when you were payin like 250 for an xbox or ps2 because it played dvds and cds. A gamecube was 99$ at one point and all it did was play good reliable games which what i want out of a system. Cuber fo' life holmes.

elmo_999 said:
hes right. I never saw what the point was last gen when you were payin like 250 for an xbox or ps2 because it played dvds and cds. A gamecube was 99$ at one point and all it did was play good reliable games which what i want out of a system. Cuber fo' life holmes.

i hear you buddy!! aside from the wierd situations like that dude who lives in jamaica where dvd players are apparently thousands of jamaican dollars :wtf:
what is the point of risking the mods to your wii, when you could buy a dvd player for the same price as the mod chip? undue wear and tear!

iggypop said:
WOW!!! a doctor of MATERIALS, sounds exciting ... i hope you don't go around introducing yourself as a "doctor" :scared: , because face it buddy your not a REAL doctor, thats just false advertising.

Wow... Seriously, you're digging yourself a deeper hole...

Being a doctor means you have a doctorate degree (Phd) in a particular field of study. It's not specific to medicine...

You said before that your brother is studying electrical engineering. You realize that he could eventually get a doctorate degree in electrical engineering and then be properly referred to as a doctor? Would you then proceed to insult him?

than to play nintendo and argue immaturely back and forth on a message board, which leaves me to believe you really do live in your mom's basement, and haven't ever touched a real girls breast.

Seriously... I'm now convinced you're not for real and are just goofing around on purpose with your messages. No one could seriously accuse others of being immature and then come back with one of the most immature accusations possible in the same sentence.

Back