Foreign Wii?? (HELP)

calvarro

WiiChat Member
Nov 24, 2007
My husband has just returned from China complete with a new Wii as a christmas present for the kids (aye right!!!) I believe that it has been "chipped" but have absolutely no idea of what this means. The start up menu's all seem to be in chinese / japanese but the games are in english. We purchased a couple of games today but neither seem to work, the only games working are the games he bought in China. Apparently we can download games from the internet etc but unsure of how this works ... the instruction manuals are also in chinese/japanese.

Any help / tips / general instructions would be really REALLY appreciated!

C xx

um miss your husband made the most stupid mistake! buying a wii from china if you dont know the language is dumb really dumb. sell it on e-bay and buy an american wii.

Since its been chiped it means it should play ALL wii games

But by the looks of things the person that did it did it wrong

To bad now buy a PAL/NTSC (depending on where you are) wii

A friend of mine had one of our developers in China get a Wii for him. It is properly chipped and plays all Wii games. The menu is in Chinese and the weather channel only shows Japan, but it's not a problem for him since he can read Chinese.

I would toss/sell the dern thing. Even if you somehow get it properly chipped here in the U.S., the risk of something breaking (with no warranty) is much greater now that it's been cracked open twice. Also, the dang menus are in Chinese. If you and the kids can't read the menus, forget about it.

edit: where in China did your husband get the Wii? A street vendor or store? Beijing?

Last edited:
Wait, can't you simply change language settings to English and as for the weather channel, you can find your city on the "Globe" anytime?

Back