Got an R4DS, So Happy!

So I can use it to store games I've BOUGHT Legally on it?
Nothing Illegal actual licenced games on it?
Eaiser than changing cartridges

Monogatari, quick to flame up there. Really do appreciate being called a liar.

There is some pretty good homebrew out there. Moonshell I can play mp3's (yes, which I ripped myself off my own paid for cd's) DS Organize is very nice as well.

As for roms, I own Diamond, New Mario Bros, Mario and Luigi 2, Yoshi Island, Mario 64 DS, Mario and Donkey Minis, FF3, and Phoenix Wright 1-2. And I do have roms of them on the ds now, and only them. Quite alot handier to not carry around all those games.

And Darkonix, somebody did make a nice little .nds file (rom file.. omg another smart homebrew!) that lets you swap out slot-1 games and wirelessly send their .sav over to your computer. A quick pad to 512k and it's good to go.

Taheen said:
Monogatari, quick to flame up there. Really do appreciate being called a liar.

There is some pretty good homebrew out there. Moonshell I can play mp3's (yes, which I ripped myself off my own paid for cd's) DS Organize is very nice as well.

sorry man, when someone says they bought an r4ds for the homebrew, it reminds me of someone saying they subscribe playboy for the articles.

As for roms, I own Diamond, New Mario Bros, Mario and Luigi 2, Yoshi Island, Mario 64 DS, Mario and Donkey Minis, FF3, and Phoenix Wright 1-2. And I do have roms of them on the ds now, and only them. Quite alot handier to not carry around all those games.

question: how'd you get the roms? did you dump them yourself, or download it?

from the pokemon diamond [it's the newest game i have] front page:

IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION

This nintendo game is not designed for use with any unauthorized device. Use of any such device will invalidate your Nintendo product warranty. Copying of any Nintendo game is illegal and is strictly prohibited by domestic and international intellectual property laws. "Back-up" or "archival" copies are not authorized and are not necessary to protect your software. Violators will be prosecuted

/underline and italic mine, to make a point

anyway, judging from that, it sounds pretty illegal to me, even if you did own the actual cartridge. According to that, playing roms on there for any reason at all [even if you did dump them yourself] would be illegal.

i will admit it's untried in court, but i'd love to see you fight the print in the book by writing to nintendo about it [assuming they dont sue your ass off to make an example out of you, or settling out of court for an untold amount of money]

my point i'm trying to make: the text is there, and it gives them just enough cause to probably sweet talk a judge into a guilty verdict against "piracy" [it's slightly a gray area here, so define it however you wish].

note: i'm familiar with US laws, if you're in canada or another country it's another ballgame

Last edited:
www.forums.r4ds.net

official R4DS site.

Got mine from www.dealextreme.com took 2 weeks. Best bit of add-on kit i've ever bought.

Just got back from a long journey, played different games, watched a few episodes of lost & prison break and listened to some mp3's, all on one cartridge. Buy one now.

my friend bought one for his DS. its a pretty nifty card. he has like 15 DS games and wanted to just have them all on 1 card then he found out that A) he would have to actually download the games off the net (which is legal since he owns the actual game) and B) would have to start over. the second part kinda pissed him off untill i found a homebrew program for him that transfers the savefiles from the DS to the PC wirelessly. im not home so i dont have a link but what it does is you load up the app on your DS and when is asks you to, you take out the R4 and put in the game you want to get the save file from and press A and (after you get the right PC app running) it transfers to your PC. its pretty nifty. i would get one but out of the like 8 games i have, i only play 2 and thats pokemon and Pheonix Wright2 so the only thing i would use it for is to download games which i wont do

I've been looking into this, and I must say, the homebrew applications (non-game) are pretty impressive. Web-browser, meida player (though I plan to get a dedicated Media player (ie. Archos 504) ), music mixer, and even an AIM program of sorts. Developers have seriously opened up the DS's capabilities.

And I thought I wanted to get a PSP for it's homebrew goodies. DS tramps that idea, for sure.

-tacks Nintendo DS onto "gotta get this after I get a job" list-

And who wouldn't want a portable version of Secret of Mana?
Best SNES game I've ever played.
But it just don't feel the same on a computer. Keyboard could never replace that pad...
And that pad is emulated on the DS!

Gosh. Now I got over 400 to 500 bucks on my wishlist.
I needs a job. Srsly.

The mp3 capabilitys seem kind of pointless to me because if you have enough money to buy something like a stupid cartridge just to make all of your games act as one, then you probably have a specific REAL mp3, psp, ipod etc. And the DS can only take micro sd? What is that like 14 or 15 songs? Not to mention that all this new stuff for the DS is most likely bad for it. So if you do have an Ipod you might as well look forward to a new DS because your current one is probably gonna break soon. The DS is not a Black Berry, go Buy an apple I-phone and break that...:frown2:

wii 24-7 said:
The mp3 capabilitys seem kind of pointless to me because if you have enough money to buy something like a stupid cartridge just to make all of your games act as one, then you probably have a specific REAL mp3, psp, ipod etc. And the DS can only take micro sd? What is that like 14 or 15 songs? Not to mention that all this new stuff for the DS is most likely bad for it. So if you do have an Ipod you might as well look forward to a new DS because your current one is probably gonna break soon. The DS is not a Black Berry, go Buy an apple I-phone and break that...:frown2:

WTF?

I don't have and IPod, why should I spend 100gbp on a music player when you can spend 125 on a DS with and R4. There's an Ipod media player for the DS if that floats your boat. I have it and it works great.

What do you mean 14 or 15 songs? microsd are readily available with 2GB capacity which is the same as a nano. If you want you can get a number of cards for games, music, videos etc.

The new stuff is 'most likely to be bad' do you always look on the bright side? Been using an R4 for months and if you're not some moran with the intellect of a pea then its virtually impossible to break.

ok people
i am wanting a thing like r4 but is that the best 1 and were is the best deal to get it??

Not sure if its the best got mine from www.dealextreme.com wait is 2 weeks. Fleabay seem to pishing themselves over the r4 so auctions are a bit iffy.

One problem with the R4 is that download play doesn't work on all games. I haven't had a problem with online play.

Did I mention... if you screw up your DS some how dont expect to call Nintendo and it be all peachy.. It voids everything. Well.. I guess only for the ones that need to be sodered. Or however you spell it. Well.. if Piracy works for you guys. Enjoy it.

Monogatari said:
sorry man, when someone says they bought an r4ds for the homebrew, it reminds me of someone saying they subscribe playboy for the articles.

Lol. ;)

Shame if it is illegal to use a different medium to play the game you purchased. Personally I want to support people who work hard on these games, and would feel guilty about cheating them buy just downloading random games I don't own. My mind is at ease though as they did get their money from me. I just prefer to not use their method to deliver those games to me (individual carts) compared to a single microsd.

About to try a few of the MSN clients homebrew. A few that look really nice. :)

And in comment to the ipod bit, I don't want to carry around more crap than I have to (hence the r4 in the first place for me) so one more opportunity to ditch a piece of hardware in favor of a multitasker, I'm all for it. Plus 4GB microSD are on the way this fall, plenty more than 15-20 songs. :D BTW, anybody who buys an r4, I really do recommend going the extra mile and getting a 2GB card, I filled the 1GB pretty fast.

-Play backups
-Able to use homebrew to transfer .sav's off yoru carts
-Pretty large amount of homebrew (organizers, msn clients, browsers, mp3/vid players)
-No computer software needed, just use the usb microsd adapter that comes with the r4ds and drag-drop your files. REALLY EASY
-Removable upgradable storage/memory
-Same size/everything as the real carts.

Despite what I was saying earlier I am looking forwared to someday getting an "r4ds" someday but to me it is a bit risky...DS's aren't made for watching movies thats a psp. :nono:

Ive had mine for a while now. Still just got MP3s though...

Back