Help! Toshiba, Mac or Dell For laptop!?

Agree with DRMARIO, windows are more widely used not only in the United States, but throughout the whole world. So the better investment is obviously windows. The are also more and better software out for windows. With windows you have endless possibilities. Macs are not bad, in fact they are great, but they are not used as much.

Oh, ok so whats mac like?since it dsnt have windows wut does it have?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want Windows, I'd go with just about anything BUT Dell.

The Mac GUI is a totally different experience, and it takes some getting used to. I would say go check out an apple store (or most Best Buys have apple displays now) and try one out. What I like about it is with Mac you can do things with a much higher level of efficiency. The Mac OS is centered around keyboard shortcuts that let you switch, arrange, close, even look at all your apps windows without even having to touch your mouse.

It has a much more efficient file system, and a very fast file search, that includes EVERYTHING. For example, if I wanted to find a section of notes from a child psych class I took two years ago, even if I don't know the name of the file but I know I'm looking for "Piaget conservationist tasks" all I do is type that in and it will actually search within the text not just the file name, of every file looking for that keyword and find whatever notes I took that contain that phrase. I'm pretty sure Vista does this now too, but old windows file search SUCKED

There is no start menu. All your apps are in the animated dock that can be placed on the bottom, left, or right side of the screen The slim bar on the top of the screen changes to the controls for whatever app you have "in focus". Right now my top bar says "Firefox - Files -Edit-View-History....etc" If I were to tab over to iTunes it would say "iTunes - File - Edit -Control - Store" etc.

Another feature I like are the "Active screen corners"
mine are set up like this:

Mouse hits this extreme corner: this action happens
Top left: All windows move off screen showing desktop
bottom left: Widgets appear (Dashboard)
top right: all windows are resized and tiled over desktop for easy viewing
(A.K.A the Expose feature)
bottom right: activates screen saver

Just a few examples of OSX features

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/
Here is a walkthrough of the current OSX 10.4 (Tiger).

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/

Go here to check of some of the new features coming soon in OSX 10.5 (Leopard)

Like I said. Go try one out. If it doesn't suite you then go for anything but a Dell.

And as far as people talking about more and better software: Just about anything Windows can run, Mac can also run. There are Mac versions of Microsoft Office, All Adobe products are made for both, all Macromedia products are made for both. And Boot Camp lets you take a small chunk of your hard drive and emulate Windows on it. I play CounterStrike: Source, HL2 and Blizzard games on my MacBook pro. So don't listen to people talking trash on Mac. Hell, don't listen to me praising it. Just go try it out for yourself. Pick the kind of computer you feel better using. I use both, in fact I own 2 PCs and a Mac laptop. Each OS has their ups and downs. But seriously, Just because more people use Windows is no basis to also use it. It's more compatible than Windows fan boys say. I've done ALL my school work on Macs, and my proffs always have Windows. Word files, Power point, networking, VPN, I've never had a professor tell me they had problems.

Last edited:
Get a Mac by all means.
The new Toshiba has a shitty display and gets really hot.
The Dell is a Dell.

Plus the Toshiba gets really hot.
There are a ton of reviews on the three.
but I'd go for the Mac. You can never go wrong with one.

Well, with money as no object, bootcamp'd Macbook pro.

Otherwise, Build your own Acer if you're a penny-pincher like me

Or go with the toshiba. I was planning on picking up a satellite for college. On sale at staples or something. The only problem is that you should open up that remove programs dialog STAT!

Also, why is mac always quoted as "graphics and music"... while Window's target is mocked.

When it comes to business applications, where computers actually help productivity *gasp* it's windows and/or custom Unix kernels.

Let's just say, I wouldn't take a mac to MIT if you value your dignity.

Last edited:
Brawny, I agree. If I was an engineer I would have a Windows build.

But I'm a psychology Major (possible Bio minor) which puts me in CAS at my school (college of Arts and Science)

I'm a Liberal Arts major, and I use a Mac

I'm most likely late to this party, but I have a toshiba, love it, had an hp, was good for when I got it, and Macs are great, just expensive, any way you slice it you should be good, just stay away from compaq and can't say that I've ever liked any dell I've used.

Also, why all the dell haters?

It's gotten a lot better over the years.

The XPS line runs with the alienwares nowadays and you don't pay for the name quite as badly.

Brawny said:
Also, why all the dell haters?

It's gotten a lot better over the years.

The XPS line runs with the alienwares nowadays and you don't pay for the name quite as badly.
Well I have a lot of friends in college who have them and I don't care for them, and my parents had a dell desktop that gave us nothing but problems so thats my reasoning.

As for the XPS, yea they're great, just expensive, but so are mac's so it depends on whether or not you want viruses or gaming capabilities (correct me if I'm wrong).

You sir, are wrong. LOL... jk

Spyware/virus scanner, and a hardware firewall will do you fine. As well as smart surfing on the internet. (What?! Limewire has virusessss?). I'd much rather run a scan every few weeks and be able to play games.

Dell is just the build....the mobo's, video, psu's and everything else is all stock .... My company's Inspiron 5000 does it's job perfectly. It's decent build quality too.

The new satellite is sexier than an I-book IMO too. :p

If you're talking about the toshiba satellite, it is quite sexy :smilewinkgrin: that's what I'm using right now, love the thing, so much better than the hp I had, but that hp was 2 and a half years old.

WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T GET A DELL!
Dell labtops are well-known to failing. Don't get macs, because they are second to window users anyways.
I suggest HIGHLY Toshiba out of your list. (HP is best):yesnod:

DRMARIO said:
NEVER BUY A DELL.
Any one working in IT will tell you the same.
Just trust me on this one.

If you're not used to the Apple OS, then don't go for Mac either.
I've always used Toshiba. Good stables PCs.
Do you work in IT?

my dad does, been in the business 15 odd years, head of IT in fact at a good firm, he buys dells, plenty of dells, dells are good.

and why not go for Mac. the OS takes about 10-15 mins to actually get used, it is so simple.

At the end of the day, a top spec Windows laptop will do only what windows does.
A top spec Mac Laptop, will do everything a windows laptop would do, as well as all of apples features. 2 for the price of 1? or just buy one get no deals. your choice at the end of the day.

So whats better toshiba r dell?
and what do they mean by toshiba "sattelite"

Back