how do you like red steel ?

I actually am really impressed with the game
i dont think the controls are difficult at all
but i guess thats just me

Its all based on your preference, I'd rent it first if you are unsure.

red steel aint so bad

Red Steel, i think is a good game. they maybe shoulda worked on it a bit more though. The sword fighting mechanic is creative but unlike the gun fighting (which captures your arms near perfectly) a swing of the remote while sword fighting gives you a pre-programmed swing. With that said, the japanese-style music, cut-seens and menus give it a good theme. It's not spectacular but it's worth getting.

I expect red steel to be halfway between a lightgun game and a fps. Def not Halo...
People expected too much from this title. I mean the swordfighting I expect to be closer to wii sports boxing than anything else. It would be a game in itself if the sword behaved exactly as you are holding it. - a fps beat-em-up or something... Thats too much to ask for people at this stage. Its a new console - a new control system. We're not at the stage of "the matrix" yet...

I picked up this title on launch day and I will probably be trading this title in on Friday.

I don't hate the game, but I have to say that this game is not for me really. I like FPS games to an extent, I'm not uber crazy about them, but I enjoy them from time to time.

The controls aren't horrible, however they could use some retooling and more control options such as modifying turning speeds and having a button to lock from turning by accident when enemies are at the corners of the screen.

One of my biggest gripes of the game is the story and dialogue. I might be able to tolerate this game a little more if I could skip those story scenes with the terrible acting and terrible script. The whole "gaikokujin"(外国人) or "gaijin"(外人) for short, in the world of the Yakuza seems kind of bland to me. The story could've been better. It's too campy for my tastes.

The graphics aren't amazing, but it's a launch title, no one fully takes advantage of a system's hardware at launch. I've already heard news of a sequel in the works.

N-Europe: News: Red Steel Sequel Is Planned

I'd be willing to give the franchise another shot however I might give it a rent instead to be sure I'll be satisfied with the title.

BrandonMcAuslan said:
I expect red steel to be halfway between a lightgun game and a fps. Def not Halo...
People expected too much from this title. I mean the swordfighting I expect to be closer to wii sports boxing than anything else. It would be a game in itself if the sword behaved exactly as you are holding it. - a fps beat-em-up or something... Thats too much to ask for people at this stage. Its a new console - a new control system. We're not at the stage of "the matrix" yet...

agreed. if you accept it for what it is its F#n awesome. think of it more as an arcade shooter with a nice FPS twist and a splash of gimmicky yet VERY FUN swordplay. shake lightly and serve lead to all the baddies that want you dead!

ABC said:
Nah, it's the fact that there are 4 or 5 posts talking about the same thing right below this one... If he went through the trouble to press the New Thread button, I am sure he saw them... so why clutter up the site with the same bullshit?

That's still no excuse to get sharp with him. Simply point out the search function or answer his question. He's clearly new as opposed to trolling or trying to start a flame war, so try to be polite and courteous to him or he won't want to come back, m'kay.

Red steel is a great game. its 2 bad i'm 1 who can catch motion sickness sorta easy haha.

Depends I would like the game if it was easier to control.
Get Zelda first its much easier and better. Im selling my Red Steel on Ebay tommorrow. Its just not as good with the Wii remote and it was voted one of the 5 worst next gen games so yeah...

I think its a great game, so far. If you are only getting one game make it Zelda, but I think red Steel is a much better game than others feel.

first thing i have to say is that i am not a gamer at all and the only consoles i've ever used were nintendo (only because my wife is a nintendo nut). the games i usually like to play are easy sports ones like golf, however I do like mario kart. so i stood in line for this wii for my wife for about 9 hours, didnt get any games right away, so we've been playing wii sports (which is kinda fun). my wife picked up red steel the other day, and after reading all this crap on this forum i thought i try it out. the only comparison i can make is that once i tried halo on a friends xbox and i hated it right off the bat and tuirned it off, i found the controls wayyy to hard and confusing. ive also never started a "story" game, ever. so i started up red steel and gave it a whirl and i have to say i really like it, the controls took me about half an hour to really get a feel for (if you're gun is pointing at the ceiling all the time youre doing something wrong, mine was fine), the story is kinda lame and the graphics aren't "blow your mind", but the sound is awesome and the controls with the remote are awesome. so i ended up playing for about 4 hours, i think i'm around 15% (i'm stuck in that inventory warehouse). i definitely like the 'sneak around and hide and pick off bad guys' style over 'run in guns a blazin' and hope for the best' - cuz that doesn't seem to work on this game. the swordfights in my opinion are great! when i beat that big ass black dude with the pipe without him even hitting me once i think i actually yelled 'yeah MOFO!' lol ... i play standing, on a 42" LCD flat panel in surround sound so i tihnk ive got the atmosphere down, friggen bullets flyin' around the room! anyone get vertigo playing standing up in front of a bigscreen? i found myself really moving around alot and almost falling over sometimes; maybe i'm just old. anyways, i cant wait to get home from work and continue playing, i just thought i'd add a different perspective from all of the "experts" on here. it's nice to hear peoples opinions and reviews, but ultimately its the individuals decision whether or not a game is "good", and in my opinion this game is good.

Leviathan said:
That's still no excuse to get sharp with him. Simply point out the search function or answer his question. He's clearly new as opposed to trolling or trying to start a flame war, so try to be polite and courteous to him or he won't want to come back, m'kay.

But I'm a sharp guy... I can't help it.

buckyfellini said:
first thing i have to say is that i am not a gamer at all and the only consoles i've ever used were nintendo (only because my wife is a nintendo nut). the games i usually like to play are easy sports ones like golf, however I do like mario kart. so i stood in line for this wii for my wife for about 9 hours, didnt get any games right away, so we've been playing wii sports (which is kinda fun). my wife picked up red steel the other day, and after reading all this crap on this forum i thought i try it out. the only comparison i can make is that once i tried halo on a friends xbox and i hated it right off the bat and tuirned it off, i found the controls wayyy to hard and confusing. ive also never started a "story" game, ever. so i started up red steel and gave it a whirl and i have to say i really like it, the controls took me about half an hour to really get a feel for (if you're gun is pointing at the ceiling all the time youre doing something wrong, mine was fine), the story is kinda lame and the graphics aren't "blow your mind", but the sound is awesome and the controls with the remote are awesome. so i ended up playing for about 4 hours, i think i'm around 15% (i'm stuck in that inventory warehouse). i definitely like the 'sneak around and hide and pick off bad guys' style over 'run in guns a blazin' and hope for the best' - cuz that doesn't seem to work on this game. the swordfights in my opinion are great! when i beat that big ass black dude with the pipe without him even hitting me once i think i actually yelled 'yeah MOFO!' lol ... i play standing, on a 42" LCD flat panel in surround sound so i tihnk ive got the atmosphere down, friggen bullets flyin' around the room! anyone get vertigo playing standing up in front of a bigscreen? i found myself really moving around alot and almost falling over sometimes; maybe i'm just old. anyways, i cant wait to get home from work and continue playing, i just thought i'd add a different perspective from all of the "experts" on here. it's nice to hear peoples opinions and reviews, but ultimately its the individuals decision whether or not a game is "good", and in my opinion this game is good.

Good observation, I agree I am so glad I took a chance with this game. The first time I played it, I messed around for about 20 minutes got annoyed with the controls, and I took it out and started playing Zelda. Then I gave red steel a second try had the controls figured out and couldn't stop playing.
I didn't even adjust the sensitivity. I am playing on 64in 4x3 television from about 10 feet away.

Back